Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Got to the range and shot the ladder loads for the M14 & M16.
    Started with the M16. First thing I learned is that IMI 55g ammo caused all my earlier problems. It ran 100% on my reloads today. The next thing I learned was I think the guy I ran into at the range last time was right about AR's wanting to run up near the max on loads. Mine kept looking better until they opened up at 25g. which is .2g under Hodgdon's max. Primers all looked good, none flattened or cratered. Got it narrowed down to 24 or 24.5g. Now I need to get that new chrony figured out and send some over the screens.
    The M14 ran just as well, 100%. 40g. was the clear winner. 4 in less than 1", the flyer got to 1 3/4". Like the M16, it's runs better every time it gets out. Very happy with the Bassett scope mount. Shot the groups left to right. 38-41g. 2nd group 39g. I moved 3 clicks right. 3rd group 40g. I moved 3 clicks up. Minute of Zombie found lol! Bear in mind I'm just looking for trigger time ammo here. All the flyers prove that lol! These rounds are as cheap as I could make them. The 5.56 is running 16 and the 7.62 is 26 in component cost.
    Then I ran a few through the Spanish Mauser dog. Those are the targets on the top row. That 165g LFP over 16g of 2400 is showing promise. All shooting was done at 50yd. By then the bug juice was wearing off and the skeeters were finding the range so it was time to go. Condition was total overcast, with drizzle while setting up. Had the whole range to myself. That makes dealing with the skeeters much easier lol!

IMG_0871.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 06-21-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Getting them dialed in is fun.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Doing some part swapping today. I'm on vacation this week and have some experiments planned and so getting the prep work done. Put a Sadlak NM recoil spring guide in the M14. These get rave reviews and are always at the top of the list for upgrading. After installing it I can see why. Racking the bolt now is MUCH smoother. This can only help accuracy, I hope lol! I greased it up with a light coat of Sil-Glyde. The tube shape keeps the spring coils from twisting and binding. Something tells me my 26/rd. range fodder will need all the help it can get lol! Got 60 rds. loaded for more testing.

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

wow.

thats a pretty big difference in those 2 parts... & its not too tight now?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Not tight, it's a good sized spring. See how it's twisted like a snake in the top pic? Doesn't do that now. I'm heading out to the range this morning to try it out.

Senior Veteran
    I got out to the range on Monday, and had some company for a change. My buddy Ross stopped by for some fun. I started with the M16. Ran 80 rds. The last 20 I did prone off the new shooting mat and that cheesy plastic bipod. 2 thumbs for the mat. 1 thumb for the bipod. A little wobbly as expected, but the grip on the barrel was solid enough. I figured it would alter barrel harmonics, which it did. Windage was the same but it raised POI 1 1/2 to 2" over where it was hitting off a bench bag at 50yds.
    Ross and his M16 didn't fare so well. He was shooting Wolf steel case, which BCA says to avoid in the owners manual. He said his always ran it fine, but not that day. He must have run small quantities before, but after 60 quick rds. it got warmed up and jammed hard. I'd guess that lacquer sealer gummed up the chamber? It was done for the day.
    Next up was the Mosins, my M44 and his M39 Finn. I ran 40 of my pop can loads first. Best group was 2 1/2" with 3 cutting the same hole at 50yds. Average group was 4". Nothing to brag about, but fun anyway. Ross is sending some of that Yugo milsurp downrange. He had 30 rds. in about 5". Damn those Finns can shoot lol! By then I was half way thru my 2nd box of Prvi 150g. SP's., and my shoulder was already crying enough lol! I tossed the 3rd. box to Ross and said help me out and get rid of them. I'll have to full length size those but don't care. My shoulder had had enough lol!
    Then I got the M14 out. Put it away 5 minutes later. Grabbed the wrong ammo box. Found I grabbed the box of 150g. FP's I loaded for the Mauser. They are neck sized and wouldn't come close to chambering. Doh! You'd think as many times I've gone to the range this year and not shot something because I forgot something, I'd take a little more time to look the gear over before leaving. Yes, I suck.
    Then we headed over to the short range. I ran another 50box thru the Taurus PT908 while Ross was exercising his CZ SP-01. I tried a mag out of the CZ, and they actually went where I was aiming. CZ makes a very nice pistol. We ended the day running a box of 125g. FP target loads thru my GP100. A most pleasant way to spend some vacation.
    Before any shooting occurred, I scrounged brass. Best day I've had in years! Someone must have had their yearly shoot. The eclectic score included .44SPL, .44Mag, .45 Colt, .45ACP, .30-.30, .450 Bushmaster (whatever the hell that is, couldn't find that in any of my reloading books), .45-70, .308, over 300pc. .223, and the holy grail, 16pc. of once fired Prvi .303. Filled the freezer bag I carry for picking up range brass. Total score! Ross also gifted me with his Garand leftovers. A cracked hand guard lol!, 1 clip, and a combo tool. Any hints on how the bolt disassembly blade on that is used would be appreciated.

IMG_0885.jpg

And another chapter from Bubba's Gunshop lol! I really think the Chinese make some fine guns. All except the wood. I've seen some Type 53's whose stocks only look fit for the fire pit. That appears to carryover to the MAK90's. My rear sling swivel fell out. I mixed up some JBWeld wood repair and filled the hole last night. It was set up this morning, so I drilled a pilot hole and got the swivel screwed in this morning.

IMG_0887.jpg

Senior Veteran
    After a month, my local range is finally open. So I started the day deciding what load to use for practice in the M16. Nothing to be super proud of here. I think the 24g looks a little better than the 24.5g so I'm going to load a bunch of it and get to practicing. I'm having trouble adapting to that high mounted scope. I've never had a scope setup where I could only get my chin on the stock, and for me today it was anything but stable. I'll figure it out eventually, but that will take lot's of ammo lol!

IMG_0890.jpg

Then I got the M14 out. I had decided on 40g of H335 for practice fodder, so used that to see if the new Sadlak spring guide made any difference. I feel it did. The rifle cycled much smoother. I shot the top left group first on a clean barrel. It tightened up some with a little bore fouling. While I'm just a little disappointed with the M16 progress, this M14 clearly wants to put a smile on my face. I'm well pleased with the progress this is showing.

IMG_0891.jpg

Then it was time for a little fun. I wanted to see if that cheesy plastic M16 bipod could take more recoil. I also wanted to see if the sling swivel on the MAK was going to fall out so it got the call. Those are the shots on the orange dot target. First 5 are the ones at 1 O'clock. I run a Williams aperture sight on it, which is way easier to adjust than stock AK sights. Did the tweak, sent 2 more down, saw 1 in the orange, then the rest went out as fast as I could get that dot to look like a lollipop lol. Yeah, cover fire. AK's might never be target rifles, but mine has cover fire down pat. The bipod held up fine. $10 well spent. That 75 rd. Korean mag has the loosest fit I've ever seen in a mag. It just swings like an unhooked fence gate in an Iowa tornado lol! Functions 100% though. Fun way to finish the morning shoot.

IMG_0889.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Nice pic of the MAC! Looking good.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

totally impressed that bipod held up!

be sure to let us know when you get back to testing out that big rod/spring combo from before!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    totally impressed that bipod held up!

be sure to let us know when you get back to testing out that big rod/spring combo from before!
    That is what I was testing in the M14 yesterday. It cycled smoother.