Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Your right, but over the years I bought so many guns I never shot I would not know where to start
    I would be in the same predicament if I were you. Lol!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    I got the initial loads for the '06 done. So, from left to right...
    My Hornady manual says the '06 is good for virtually any North American game. Tree rats live around here, but I usually grab the 10/22 for those. But if it's broke, and I'm hungry, I need a load for that, and pop cans lol! I grabbed the Berry's 110g plated bullets over the 6.7g HP38 load I settled on for the Enfield and Mosin. Not holding my breath with this, as the lead 110g's I loaded for the Mauser were nothing to write home about. Low expectations hoping for a pleasant surprise.
    For varmints, and the 100yd line are the next 2 loads. The 150g Berry's plated that are working real good in the Mauser, and some 165g cast. I've tried those cast boolits in the Mauser and Mosin with so-so results, and the Enfield threw them sideways through a target at 25yd lol! However, I gave some of those to Mark to run through his 03 Rock Island and he had some nice groups. I have over 300 of those to get rid of and could use a win with them. They're both loaded over 16g of 2400.
    Last, Shooters World Match powder lists a Garand M2 ball load of 46.5g in commercial brass. I'm using mil-spec brass so bumped it back to 45g to start. Bullets are the 147g FMJ's I'm running in the M14 and Garand. Be interesting to see how they group against PPU's Garand load.

IMG_1072.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 06-08-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Senior Veteran
    I need to get reloading. I have the equipment but have not started yet.

Senior Veteran
    Fortune smiles upon me with a free week of vacation. Layoff due to the sucking farm economy. It's June, and I still saw planting being done on the way to the aux. range this morning if that gives you an idea how bad it is around here. I'm sure there will be more layoff this summer. Sell your tractor stock lol!

Started with the MAK90. Wanted to see if the green makeover improved it's attitude, and if that Wolf 123 HP was any good. Notice how well it blends in with the flora now lol!

IMG_1073.jpg

Started with the Wolf. Shot these 5 and put the rest away. (All shooting on the 50yd line today) I've never got a better group out of this gun. Win.

IMG_1074.jpg

Then I went to the Golden Tiger 123 FMJ's. Wish I would have bought that Wolf stuff first. The GT has always been just "keep their head down" accurate in this, and today was no exception. Here's the first 5.

IMG_1075.jpg

Not impressed at all, so ran the other 15.

IMG_1081.jpg

Still not impressed. I think I'll grab a box this winter and pull the bullets and weigh all the powder charges to check their QC. I bought 2k of this crap so I need to make this better somehow. Then it was on to one of my off the wall experiments. This is where those 118g cast bullets I've been shooting in the Enfield came from. This is almost the last of my vintage ammo, loaded 20+ yrs ago, and never got around to trying. Loaded over 8.5g of AA #5 pistol powder. The premise was a light, non action functioning load like the pop can loads for my .30 Carbine. They weren't as accurate as I'd hoped, but functioned as intended. Kicked the bolt back, but not far enough to eject the brass. 2 went low, 3 higher. I'll run the other 25 next time I get this out.

IMG_1077.jpg

Then I grabbed the Mosin. I put the OE rear sight back on after taking the red dot off, and just couldn't find a repeatable sight picture with that leaf rear sight. Shot a couple "patterns", not groups. I was a little discouraged with this, as the Rem '03 was up next. Was hoping for a little better attitude going into popping the first caps on a new to me rifle, but with my lame eyes I do better with aperture rear sights (notice the aftermarket Williams rear sight on the MAK above) and it got better.
    I would never recommend anyone fire an old mil-surp rifle without checking headspace, but I didn't, and that's another reason I always like to have a tree rat load for my rifles. I shoot those first to look for anything weird with the brass. Brass looked fine, and while the group wasn't great, it was good enough for more load development. It took 4 shots to find the rear sight elevation dope, and here's the other 6. Ended up at 300yd. plus 1 more click.

IMG_1078.jpg

Then it was on to the 165g cast boolits. In no uncertain terms, they hate me lol! Not even a pattern, but all over the place. If I can't get them to work in a pop can load, I know what Mark is getting for Xmas this year lol! Nowhere close to the win I was looking for. But I found that with the Berry's 150g plated. Took 4 of those also to find the elevation dope, 500 yd. on rear sight, and I called the high flyer, but the other 5 were within 1.5", almost what I'm getting with this bullet out of the Mauser with a scope. Absolute Win with a ladder load on the way.

IMG_1079.jpg

The brass all looked good, so it's on to the full power Garand loads. First, I install the Limbsaver pad to protect my oh so sensitive shoulder lol! Started with my loads on the left dot. The Prvi loads on the right dot. About the same spread, but mine are 25 and the Prvi 85 a pull. I just needed to know the rifle was safe. I'll be working on those cheap Berry loads to save $ and shoulder lol!

IMG_1080.jpg

Then it was on to some function testing with the GI .45/.22 conversion combo. Tried some Fed Classics. No go. Armscorp Hp's. No go. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but could see the slide speed was too slow. It was ejecting cases mostly, and when it did, the return spring didn't have enough oomph to fully chamber the next round. I've always believed oil was for rust prevention, and grease was for sliding metal on metal parts. So I grabbed a rag and wiped off all the grease I could get at on the slide and frame. Appears the grease is acting more as a glue than lube in this low power scenario. Put some Aguila Super Extra in and it actually "mostly" ran lol!

So what I learned today.

On that .45/.22 combo, clean off all the grease and get a new recoil spring.

Fix the eyes to shoot the Mosin.

7.62x39 GT ammo needs help, and buy more Wolf Military Classic 123HP's. Best that Mak90 has ever shot for me!

I'm totally happy with the Rem. 03-A3. Probably shoots better than my eyes, and has a nice crisp trigger. Definite keeper.

When you hear loud banging next door, and it looked like an M1A came out of the case, have a look before you leave. Found 57 once fired 7.62x51 Prvi cases waiting for me to wear out lol!
    Last edited by Don in IA; 06-10-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Got the word my local range is open, and the trigger for the M4 got here and installed yesterday, so decided on a .223 day.
    Started with the M4, to get the MBUS and red dot sighted in. Nothing special here, but finally got them both in the black. Ammo choice was "last load" box of RF (range fodder) 55FMJ over 24g H335. Didn't cause any problems here, but did later.

IMG_1085.jpg

Then went to the M16. Wanted to use the scope mounted on the carry handle, but didn't notice I'd changed the scope base for some reason. Damn, lol! So had to use the irons. Are all carry handle rear sights wobbly? Or is it this cheap BCA rifle? Seriously not impressed with it, but actually shot OK once I got it in the black by moving the windage almost all the way to the right. Then it jammed hard half way thru the string. Damn again lol! Thought I had this rifle sorted. Got it un-jammed and finished the string. Looking at the brass I notice a few split case necks. This was all old , well used mixed headstamp brass that had a bunch of black sharpie marked primers meaning they were loose going in, hence the last use, so I'm calling this ammo related.

IMG_1086.jpg

Then I grabbed the Ruger M77. Had a couple things going on here. It's now sitting in the swoopy new grey Boyd's stock so curious how much POI shifted, and also getting rid of my last vintage 20+ yr. old ammo. Believe it or not, I actually spent a little more $ for decent bullets for this rifle. These are loaded with Hornady 53g FBHP match bullets.
    23.5g AA2015BR, and 25g AA2230. For some reason there was 15 pc. of primed brass in the box, and had that many of those bullets left, so loaded 5ea over 23-24-25g of H335 last winter. Started with a couple groups of RF to foul the barrel. POI was close, just a little right. All shooting on the 50yd line today. Never touched the scope adjustment today, and left it on the lowest setting of 6X. Any more power just feels like cheating on the 50 line lol! Pick of the litter today was the first 2230 group, which all cut the same hole for a .500" group. Nice to know this rifle will still shoot MOA if I do my part, which only happened once lol! That brass was also old, mixed headstamp stuff and got tossed. Those bullets are all gone now, so the next batch to work on for this is a box of Midway's Dogtown 55g FBHP's that look like Nosler's Varmageddon seconds.

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

I'd like a load that shoots good in all 3 of these, but that's probably not going to happen. they're all ".223's" but all have a different chamber and barrel twist rate. Ruger is .223/1:12, M4 is 5.56/1:7, and the M16 is .223Wylde/1:8. It's impossible projects like this that keep me interested in the shooting sport.

Then it started to drizzle, so had to haul ass over to the pistol range. Working on that .38 snubbie today, and the full whack load of those 125g RNFP's over Shooters World Auto Pistol at 6.5g actually shot below POA. First time that's happened so progress was made there as well today.
    Last edited by Don in IA; 06-22-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Interesting day at the range Monday. Wasn't the shooting, that was, um, sub-optimal lol! Got the scope dialed in on the M16. Was using my RF, loaded with Berry's bulk 55g FMJ's. I think we can all agree bulk 55FMJ's are the least accurate bullet, and these Berry's are the worst I've ever tried. Thankfully they're all gone! Never going there again.
    The interesting part is how much more these old mil-surp rifles are showing up at the range. A couple guys pull in, and out pops an AR15, an M1A with a big $ scope, and a field grade CMP Garand. My shooting was sucking so went over to check those out and chat. They had one of those dye targets where the lungs leak blue and the head/heart leak red. Too cool! Never saw one of those before. Then timing was everything lol! They left all that nice once fired PPU brass laying there for me to pick up. Score!

I got the low end loads with the Dogtown/Nosler 55g FBHP's done for the Ruger .223 so it was off to the 100yd line today. H335 23-24g, Shooters World Tac 23-24g, and Shooters World Match 24g, in that order. H335 at 24g won today coming in at 1". Those SW loads need work, time to hot them up a little. Never made it to the 100/200yd line last year so here is what that looks like.

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

Then I grabbed the Mauser. Yep, still ugly lol!

IMG_1090.jpg

Today's ammo was those Berry's 150g FP plated over 16g 2400 that I was getting 1 1/4" at the 50yd line last year. First group was the best, the vertical stringing in 2 and 3 could have been it heating up, but I pull a few so most likely cause was the loose nut behind the trigger. Then I put 10 more on the paper target. Other that the one pulled low, looks like a "mostly" round group. For a cheap Mauser shooting cheap ammo I'm totally OK this rifle. Those should be close enough to scare a saber-toothed groundhog lol!

IMG_1093.jpg

thanks for sharing Don!

good to see you tearing up paper.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Yes, looks like a beautiful day at the range!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Yes, looks like a beautiful day at the range!
    It really was. Mostly overcast, no skeeters, 72, and unusual for around here, almost zero wind. The other Mark was set up on the left bench when I got there. He was dialing in an AR in 7.62x39 for hog hunting. Then he pulled out another AR in .300 BO. His tip of the day was to steer clear of Magtech's .300 BO ammo. Basically ALL Magtech ammo lol!

Senior Veteran
    Mark needed to see if he got the extractor sorted on his '03, so off to the range we went. Unfortunately, it's not sorted yet. Wouldn't pull the 4th round out, but I put my '03 bolt in and popped it right out. I started with the Enfield. No joy whatsoever. Had a ladder load of the Berry 123g AK bullets over 2400, and ladder load of the Mo. Cast 167g Mosin bullets over 2400. All over the place. I'm stubborn, but know when to say when. I need a fatter bullet for these mid-range cast loads. Going to stay with the pop can loads. Also going to try some 123g FMJ's over H335.

IMG_1094.jpg

Then I got the 03A3 out. Had some Berry 150g FP over 15-16g of 2400. 15g won today. Nothing spectacular, but good enough to do some work on.

IMG_1095.jpg

Then I tried a new to me bullet. Speer's 125g TNT, a FBHP varmint bullet. Over on the M14 forum some guys are having good results on the 100/200 yd. line, which is as far as I can shoot here. Had just enough AA2520 to load 10 over 43g. Less recoil than the 147g FMJ's, and showing potential. The Shooters World Match powder is what AA2520 was 20yrs ago, so will continue this project with the SW powder. I have a ladder load of these bullets for the M1/M14, but haven't got to .308 day yet.

IMG_1096.jpg