Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

always a fan of your shooting... but love those other pictures. land makes me happy. :-)

now about that eye work= was that $4600 for EACH eye? or does that cover both of them?

cause if it lets me avoid glasses? would pay for itself in the long run.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    always a fan of your shooting... but love those other pictures. land makes me happy. :-)

now about that eye work= was that $4600 for EACH eye? or does that cover both of them?

cause if it lets me avoid glasses? would pay for itself in the long run.
    Hey Sean. The $4600 covered both eyes. It's like starting over with a new set. Best $ I ever spent! When I was shooting the Mosin I felt the yellow paint I dabbed on the front sight was hurting more than helping so it's going away.

Anyone else here grow up watching the Westerns on Sat. morning? I've always wanted a lever action cowboy rifle but never had one. Like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story" I started with a Red Ryder I got for xmas but won't count that. Fixed that today and got one to go with my single six. A Rossi 92. Here's my un-fired, out of the box review.
    Wood is unremarkable, but has a good fit. Metal finish is real nice. Maybe a little over-board on the butt plate as it has an almost mirror shine. Trigger has a little creep before let-off at a guessed 5.5/6lb. which I'm happy with. "Most" reviews I've read about these complain about a rough action. Yep, they're spot on. It was so tight it hurt to cycle it, so I put it on the "accelerated wear" program lol! Shot it up good with RemOil, grabbed a leather glove, and racked it for the second half of the Army/Mich. game. Probably has 2k rounds of wear without firing a shot but it racks real nice now. I wanted a 16" barrel, but nobody in the country has one. This has the 20" and it balances nice so brought it home. The only thing I don't care for is that rear buckhorn sight, but haven't shot it so not sure. I have a hard time not wrenching on my toys so maybe a Tang peep sight will be tried. If any of you are shooting one of these and have some ideas I'm all ears. I've got a bunch of practice rounds loaded for the GP100 so I'll try those first.

IMG_1169.jpg

just means you wont be John Wayneing it to cock it under your arm. LOL (dont worry i cant do that with my 16" version either)

it doesnt "look" long like a 20" on most guns. makes for a nice pair!

what cal did you go with?

Senior Veteran
    That is a nice pair. They look right together.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    just means you wont be John Wayneing it to cock it under your arm. LOL (dont worry i cant do that with my 16" version either)

it doesnt "look" long like a 20" on most guns. makes for a nice pair!

what cal did you go with?
    It's a .38/.357Mag. I'm all set for loading those. I don't have anything in .44 or .45Colt so not interested in those calibers. I've got lots of .357 brass and will use that. Be interesting to see if it will feed a wadcutter. I doubt it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    It's a .38/.357Mag.
    same here.... mine feeds 357 perfectly. 38special most of the time.

Senior Veteran
    Interesting day at the range this morning. Started with the Mosin accy. project. When I pulled it apart to clean out the rest of that unburned powder, I noticed the action had a loose fit it the stock. So I cut a couple shims out of card stock to put in the recoil lug recess so it had a tight press fit going back together. Shimming the Enfield is what finally got that to shoot groups instead of patterns, so lets see what happens. I know you're only supposed to change 1 thing at a time with a project like this, but I also took the yellow paint off the front sight. Now that I can see again, todays sight picture was better without the paint.
    Same load as last time. Group was .150" bigger today, but the biggest change was POI. Used the rear sight at 200yd last time, but today the group was a little higher with the rear sight at 100yd.

Then I tested the extractor on Dad's .22. No joy. It was extracting unfired rounds in the basement, but the fired rounds with more grip in the chamber wouldn't pull out. Damn, more fiddly bench work in my future lol!

Then it was time to see what this lever action, 19th century assault rifle game is all about. Ammo shot today was mostly GP100 practice loads of 125g RNFP over 4.4g HP38 in .357 brass. Took 15rds. to find elevation which ended up on the 4th step. I then proceeded to blast away at clay pigeons on the berm, which is what I bought this for. You know, fun shooting, just blowing stuff up lol! It's not exactly a tack driver with this load, but it's new and first load tried. Windage was about 3-4" left which didn't help, but I be damned if I didn't hit the first pigeon! Laughing and the happy dance ensued! Of course it went downhill from there and only hit 4 more with the last 14rds. I had left. First shooting impressions. Nice trigger. No work needed there. Ran 100% with the RNFP's. I read these can be sensitive to cartridge OAL, but it ate and ejected these just fine. Launches ejected brass at 4 to 6 O'clock 6/7 feet back. Lost 1 in the grass behind the bench. Gonna need more shine lol! The brass bead on the front sight is big. It covered the grey circle on the Zombie target so the Red Cross was sitting on top of it for the sight picture. As I thought, I'm not a fan of the rear buckhorn sight. I'm in search of something to replace it that is also windage adjustable to avoid having to drift the front sight. Any ideas there??? All in all, I'm extremely pleased with this rifle! It's a keeper so on to load development. I have a box of coated 125 RNFP's so it's time to amp the loads up. Last I grabbed 4 full house loads to see how much higher POI would be compared to the sub-sonic practice stuff. Yep, a lot higher. POA was the .22 orange dot.

IMG_1172.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 09-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.