Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Nice day today. 55, partly sunny, and the local range is finally open since being closed Sept. 4. Grounds for burning that extra sick day carried over from last year? Yep lol!
    Started off with the new one, the M4. All shooting on the 50yd. line today.

IMG_0957.jpg

Acid test. Will it run the IMI M193 the M16 version puked on out of the box? Yes it will, ran 100% on that and the IMI M855 today. Seems to like the 62g. better, but I didn't feel on top of the game today. Average day, I've had better and worse which shows me the value of regular practice. What I learned here is that while .223 doesn't kick much I noticed the difference with it being much lighter than the 20" hbar of the black version. I like it lighter and shorter to shoot, but still like the looks of an M16 better. Here's the targets, draw your own conclusions. As always, snide remarks are always welcome lol!

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

Then it was on to the M1. I needed the "Ghoulardi-Matic™" clip loader yesterday but got by the old fashioned way lol! Loaded 7 clips of that SK surp, and 1 clip of my M14 range fodder 147FMJ/40g H335. This is the optimal position of the tub to catch "most" of the brass. It didn't catch ANY of the last rounds when it went ping. They all fell short at 3 O'clock. Is this normal for a Garand? Maybe being .308 has something to do with it?

IMG_0958.jpg

Like I said, not on top of the game today. Shot better with some barrel fouling, 2 & 4 clip coming around. Then Zombie hunting. On my range fodder clip, I pulled those 2 to on the right as definite flyers. Otherwise, I feel it shoots that load as good as the M14 , and is good as that SK milsurp which is all it has to be.
    Had 2 rounds FTE that jammed. I'm thinking the old SK ammo. Didn't happen on my loads. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have marked the clips as I had 1 jam the first time I shot it. Clip related?

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

Then it was on to M14. 3 20rd. mags with that stinky SK surplus. You really need to buy a box of this stuff. The brass loads ok so far and smell really needs to be "experienced" lol! The first 10 were high/left, so tweaked the scope and sent the rest down. Just harvesting brass and breaking in, same plan as with the M1 today.

IMG_0964.jpg

Then it was on to the Mauser. Tried an experiment today with the last 25 115g. RN .30 carbine lead bullets on the shelf. Had fantastic results with the pop can 118g FP load for the Enfield, so loaded those over the same 7g HP38. Total fail lol! I'm guessing the mile long jump through the throat to the lands killed any accuracy to be found. The target shows rounds 2-5. If you saw where the first went let me know lol! Not a total fail though. I'll use the other 20 for barrel foulers.
    Then I ran 5 more of the 150g. FP Berry's over 16g 2400. This was my best win at the loading bench this year. Can't wait to play with this load next year. Got 2 more primers to try, and will sort bullets by weight. I think I can make this Franco dog a tack driver lol!

IMG_0965.jpg

Done with the rifles it was over to test some .45 loads. Total fail. My RIA just doesn't like the 185g TC's I've been feeding it. Took 3 mags with. Had 7 fail to feeds. My shotgun patterns better. Basically, this pistol likes round nosed bullets, and my skill shooting it sucks. Just another retirement project. The target is past embarrassment so since I'm posting pics here, here you go. I liken this to my Mosin. Now a pain in the ass, and also a challenge.

IMG_0966.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 11-06-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Today's project is slinging the M4. That Magpul MOE stock had no obvious provision for sling attachment for what I had available so it was off to Bubba's bodge bench lol!
    Material on hand was M6 machine screws I use for my Jap bikes, and a cheap AK sling that I bought 2 of when I needed 1 for the MAK90.
    The hole in the stock was a smidge small for the screw so I ran the tap through it, and stopped at Ace Hdwe. for a nyloc lock nut while running errands this morning. Luck was with me as there was just enough room for the nut, so no filing needed. Maybe inelegant, but satisfied my cheap gene lol! Slings up tight, about $6, and 45 minutes build time. Win. Gotta run, the football games are on and have to process that brass from the last shoot.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 11-06-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Senior Veteran
    So today's experiment was starting the cast bullet journey with the M1. Setup took awhile as I had to find a larger expander for the sizing die. The bullets I'm starting with are the 165 FP's sized .311, and the .308 die leaves the case neck ID at .305/.306. Too small. The expander in the 7.62x54 left the ID at .310 so I'll start there. Not what most people want to do with their M1's, but when I'm only hunting paper Zombies, 15 a round is appealing lol!

IMG_0972.jpg

To assist this endeavor, I picked up a SLED single load clip, and the dummy round feeds fine. Off to a good start. Don't hold your breath for the range report as that probably won't happen until next spring.

IMG_0970.jpg

Since I probably won't be shooting the self-loaders this winter I started the end of year cleaning with the .30 Carbine. I want to try the scope that was on it on the M4, and couldn't leave it in an unusable condition, so the OE rear sight went back on. If you've never messed with one of these, they remove to the right, and go on from the right. The dovetail is slightly tapered. I'm not much on aesthetics, but like the M1, I think it looks better with iron sights.

IMG_0974.jpg

DON,

so since im not a reloader... is what i think your doing what your doing?

are you using 54R bullets cutting off the point & reloading them into 308 brass?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    DON,

so since im not a reloader... is what i think your doing what your doing?

are you using 54R bullets cutting off the point & reloading them into 308 brass?
    Hey sdk1968, those bullets were designed for long neck .30 cal, mostly 30-30.

Senior Veteran
    Beautiful M1 Carbine Don. I like it like that!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer