Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Don,

yeah that really sucks. totally understand flood losses though... Iowa sounds like Ohio. IF you live in the valley you risk the flood issue.... if you live on top of the hill, you risk the land slide from all the run off.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    After the rain quit, I went so see if the work on the M44 helped. For the accuracy, I'd say it was "slightly" better. Again today, it was the 6.5/7g groups doing best. This time it was 6.5g with 4 cutting the same hole. That's the sweet spot so I'm going to split the difference and load the whole box at 6.7g. As for the trigger, I'm totally happy. It's much smoother, and although let-off is still a little vague I have a much better feel for it. Down to practice now. Since the red dot was coming off I just moved it around for the groups. I'm going back to irons for the summer shoot against my buddies. I like aperture sights and found this to try. Looks a lot like the sight I put on my MAK90.
    https://anacortesprototypes.com/prod...m38-m44and-m53

IMG_1044.jpg

Then I spent a few minutes over on the pistol range to see if the Shooters World Auto Pistol loads would do anything in the snubbie. Still high, but the windage and "pattern, lol" were a little better with the max load. So, I have a fixed sight that needs to move. Would you file down the back strap, or JB Weld the front to build up a little height?

IMG_1043.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 05-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Had time this morning to make sure the last .22's were ready for the shootout. Started with Grandpa's rabbit gun. Something about this 110 year old steel and wood always puts a smile on. Function 100% as always. Had major trouble picking up the front sight, so when I cleaned it, I dabbed it with the yellow paint pen. Can't hurt. Didn't like being shot off the bench bags, they were all a little high/right. Shot the next mag with my elbows on the bench and got 5/10 in the orange dot. Weird.

IMG_1046.jpg

Then I grabbed the GI .45 with the Kimber slide. Then the swearing ensued. One FTF after another. FTE's, light pin strikes needing pulling back the hammer for another go, etc. Surely not ready for prime time. That crap ammo didn't help, and looked like it had a burr where it goes into the frame. Will be some work involved to get this running.

IMG_1047.jpg

Senior Veteran

That's a beautiful .22 I like it!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

The 22 is dangerous, and since I'm safety minded you should send it to me so it can be taken out of circulation. I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself with that hazardous contraption. Besides, shouldn't you be out riding your Norton?
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    That's a beautiful .22 I like it!
    Thanks Scott! This, and Dad's, and my 10/22 will be handed down in the family. The rest will end up wherever.

Hey Joe. That old leaker fired on the second kick after spending the long, frigid winter in the garage. I was SO proud of it lol! Been out on it twice for 70mi. so far. It's already in mid-season form lol! Pulling like a freight train!

got a 22lr pump that looks just like yours... but mines a repro. great little guns!

Kimber & still needs work? wow. you dont see that in print very often, they are pricey & usually well QC'd.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran

I hope to someday get my Grandfather's rabbit gun. A Winchester .22 pump. It's the gun I learned to shoot with. My Grandmother still has it in her closet.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I've got my dad's Winnie mod.61 we always hunted rabbits with. Damn thing is dead on with any brand...even Thunderbolt. Got an old 550-1 Remmy shoots as good too.
    My Norton goes almost daily and pulls like a freight train since I tossed factory tuning out. Somethings different inside...So long I'd forgotten that about it.
    Good shooting and riding.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    got a 22lr pump that looks just like yours... but mines a repro. great little guns!

Kimber & still needs work? wow. you dont see that in print very often, they are pricey & usually well QC'd.
    Well, they all don't run right out of the box. You probably read about my hours of "joy" getting the M16 to run at the beginning of this blog lol! Here you can see where the slide is rubbing on the frame. Did a little more polishing in the frame, and stoned a chamfer on the front edge of the slide. Will try some Federal ammo next. I also looked at the mags. Noticed the spring in the junk ProMag was a little stiffer so swapped it into the Kimber mag.

IMG_1053.jpg

On a brighter note, as long as I was getting bench time, I got the red dot and MBUS on the M4. Went with the MBUS to the rear for the longer sight radius, and easier to get to in a "CRAP, I need this NOW" scenario.

IMG_1051.jpg