Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    Don, I hope your 527 serves you well. I have enjoyed mine for several years. It has mostly shot paper but it has also done it's part to reduce the feral hog problem here in Fl. I have done some reloading with winchester brass but was not that pleased. I have some remmington and laupua brass that I need to work up loads for and try some day.
    Hey 7.62guy. Got the baseline shooting done this morning, and yes, I like the way this shoots. Some more things I noticed today are,

It will only feed a round out of the mag, and can't get one in with the mag in the rifle. Not real impressed with that. Oh well.
    Under the sun, noticed a little uneven bluing on the barrel. They probably sort the cosmetic seconds to put in the cheap stocks. I'm not fussed with that.
    The bolt is fiddly, but got better with use. Just have to put a little down pressure on the knob while pushing forward. Being a machinist by trade, not real impressed with this either. If they would tighten up the receiver rear bolt bore a scootch it would probably fix this.

Shooting on the 50yd line, and conditions were great, to start lol! 72 and overcast. This pic is for you Sean. Not everything in my world is neat and orderly, especially shooting a bunch of different loads at the range.

IMG_1106.jpg

Started with one of the two lots of GT to get the scope close, then shot the Russian stuff. Wolf MC 123HP, white box 123HP I bought with the MAK 25 yrs. ago and not really sure what it is, 2 different lots of GT, and 3 rds. of Red Army 123HP that other Mark tossed on my bench. One of the GT was the clear winner. I'll earmark that lot for this gun and blast the other thru the MAK90.

IMG_1110.jpg

Then I shot the other stuff. WW white box 123FMJ, and my 25yr. old loads of WW123FMJ bullets over 25 and 26.5g of AA1680. I could see the first 4 of the 25g load cutting the same hole, so bearing down on that last shot pulled it right lol! Oh well, still has potential.

IMG_1111.jpg

I decided to not try the cast loads thru the CZ, so sent them down in the MAK as I needed the brass. With all the views on this blog, I'm guessing the majority are in the "where will this train wreck land" category. This cast bullet experiment fits that description. Epic fail! Too bad there was no accuracy to be found as they functioned as intended and turned the MAK into single shot. I was aiming at the Zombie and they all went right. Was going to use that diamond target for something else but that didn't happen lol! This load isn't good enough to scare a groundhog.

IMG_1108.jpg

Then I used the rest of the Russian stuff to get the sights on the MAK a little closer as it was shooting way high last time out.

I had some work to do on the other varmint gun, Ruger .223, but the wind really picked up an the target was waving all over. Welcome to Iowa lol! But that gave me a chance to try a new piece of gear out. This 4" plastic target ball. Always laying in the range bag but haven't shot at it until today. Had a box of RF so lets see what 55gFMJ's will do to it. I'm impressed! It kept bouncing around and only a couple got all the way thru. 2 thumb's up!

IMG_1109.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Here's a day I always look forward to, shooting the .30 Carbine! Got some test loads to shoot, and a new pc. of gear to try, which is the brass deflector. Info is sketchy on those. Prevailing opinion is that was developed by the Dutch or W. Germans. It clips on under the rear sight. I took the scope off last winter, which it wouldn't fit with.

IMG_1112.jpg

I started with the Fiocchi to check the deflector, and also to check the Mk. 1 eyeball fitting of the rear sight for windage by lining up the stake marks. Windage was close enough to not fiddle with, 2 thumbs ups for the deflector! Most of the brass bounced on the bench at 2-3 O'clock, and a few bounced forward of the bench. I came home only 2 brass short, which is WAY above my usual odds lol! Then I got to the "experiments". Started with Berry's plated 110's over 10/11/12g of Shooters World Blackout (old AA1680). This powder is on the slow side for .30 C, and loaded light. None of the brass cleared the chamber on 10g, half on 11g, and all on 12g, but none of the 12g had enough oomph to chamber the next round. Accuracy was meh. 10g looked good but for the 1 I pulled, 11g was a train wreck lol, 12g had 3 in the same hole, but this powder is too slow to continue.

IMG_1113.jpg

Then I shot the Shooters World Heavy Pistol loads (old AA#9) 10/11g with the Berry bullets. I used a lot of AA#9 bitd, along with H110, which always grouped a little better. Both these loads functioned fine chambering the next round. These loads are on the light side for 110FMJ's, but was worried about stripping the plating off the Berry bullets. No sign of that. I need to bump these up and run over the chrono. Supposed to good to 1900fps. Then I ran 5 of the Berry's over 11.5g of 2400, which is close to the speed range of AA9,H110. No sign of plating stripping but strung horizontally. Functioned fine but going to work more with the SWHP. Notice I changed targets. Here's where being cheap often bites me in the ass lol! Printed those 4 bull targets with toner saver on the printer. Works ok with a scope, but I was having a bitch of a time getting a picture with these iron sights. At least that didn't affect the function part of the tests.

IMG_1114.jpg

Then I had a load of WW110FMJ's over 13g 2400. All the snap of the Fiocchi's, and I think they grouped better than the first 10 on the zombie target. Never mind the blood. Somehow stuck a staple in my finger. I'll survive lol! Then shot the last 40 Fiocchi to harvest the brass.

IMG_1115.jpg

Then the trouble began. Took my first swing with reloads for the CZ527. Berry plated 123's over SWBO 16g, and 2400 14g. Started with the SW. 2nd round squeeze, click not bang. Primer had a good dent, damn. Went on next try. This happened 4 times. Got to the 2400 loads and had 2 that wouldn't go with 4 tries, even with spinning the round to hit it in a different spot on the primer. Crap! I had an Enfield round like this last week. Played this game before. Got a bad box of primers. Hope it's just that box and not the whole sleeve. I remember having to pull 200 rds. of .38 Special 25 yrs. ago and no fun was had lol! Anyway, the SWBO loads show vertical stringing which is usually a sign of inconsistent ignition. Some ball powders do that with reduced loads, some don't. 2400 seems immune to that, which is why I find my best cast rifle loads with it. The 4 I got on paper look good. I had some GT left in the ammo bag and shot 10 at clay pigeon chunks to convince myself it's not a firing pin spring problem. They went bang.

IMG_1116.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 07-24-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Always a great day at the range when the .30 carbine is involved. Beautiful M1 you have there. I have seen it before but I never get tired of seeing them.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Always a great day at the range when the .30 carbine is involved. Beautiful M1 you have there. I have seen it before but I never get tired of seeing them.
    Yes it is! I got it, and the CZ527 out again today to finish up what I didn't get to last time. Started with the CZ. Shot the last of the WW white box, and the last of the 123FMJ's over 25g AA1680. Looks about the same. Had one of each needing a few primer strikes so now I'm leaning towards a weak firing pin spring as it's done this with 3 different types of primer. I'll send an email to CZ and see what they say.

IMG_1118.jpg

Then I bumped up the Berry 123 plated/2400 load to 15/16g. The 2nd group of 15g looks good. It got a little weird here. Had 5/20 brass with primers backing out of the pockets, but not showing any over pressure signs. This is all 25yr old brass that has been thru the MAK90 a few times. I picked up some new Starline brass and will use that next and see what happens.

IMG_1119.jpg

Then I shot the rest of the Berry 110 plated/SWHP 10/11g loads. I like the way this powder runs. Next will look for the minimum load that will fully function and see how it groups. Lost another 2 brass. I really need to put a better shine them lol! This Carbine has never been a tack driver and I find these groups acceptable for what it was designed for. These shot close to POA with sight at 150yd shooting on the 50yd line today.

IMG_1120.jpg

Joe, if your still around I got the A7 out for a 10 mile test run yesterday. New clutch plates are dragging a tiny bit, but will hopefully get better with more riding. Then put 40 miles on the Norton. Ran like a champ.

IMG_1117.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Nice shooting. Those .30 Carbine shots on the zombie medic look good to me. I would be happy with that.

When you going to get going on that Ford? I'm going to keep asking you about it every time I see it because I am a car guy! Lol
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

hes too busy reloading to work on the ford. its too hot for car work.

then this winter it will be too cold to work on the ford so he will have to be reloading.

so summer & winter are out for ford work. that leaves him spring & fall. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    hes too busy reloading to work on the ford. its too hot for car work.

then this winter it will be too cold to work on the ford so he will have to be reloading.

so summer & winter are out for ford work. that leaves him spring & fall. :-)
    Funny, and almost true lol! But since you asked about the Merc (not Ford), here's where it's at. Didn't even insure it this year. Only put 50mi on it last year, so it's going to sit for awhile. Started it last week, and a couple minutes later I get the dreaded sweet smell while fiddling with the radio. See the green drips on the passenger floor. Yep, "another" heater core rotted out from just sitting. This one lasted 10yrs. This is a Cal. desert car that has never seen IA salt, and the solid floor pans are staying that way. No need to change the core now just to have it rot again, so I bypassed it. Had to go to Menards for a 1/2" street elbow as the hose barb fitting screwed straight in the manifold. Notice how close to the intake runner it screws in. Out comes the angle grinder for clearance to screw it in. $6 and an hour and problem solved. Inelegant, but functional. Also notice the squeaky clean alt. Swapped that 2 months ago to evict a horrible loose bearing squeal. It also got a new radiator, cap, and hoses last fall. That's enough love for awhile lol!

IMG_1121.jpg

I like that twice stroker a bunch...Rode my Norton today also...Thinking of popping off timing cover and checking oil pump & timing chain. Running great though. Feeling frisky so looked over some unfinished builds. If this neurologist gets these tremors smoothed out I may be able to finish them up one day. I've virtually stopped reloading because of them, and shall probably give the whole kit n caboodle to the oldest son since he does the shooting. Besides he's already jacked about half of my toys under the pretext of helping keep them safe by not having all in one place in case of theft.
    I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Had an interesting experiment today, shooting 3 birds with one round lol!
    1. Getting rid of some bullets that don't work well in the Mauser.
    2. Primers. Is there any difference in them? Always wanted to try this, but never had more than one brand at a time 20 yrs. ago. Now, in LR, I have some Unis, Fed, and CCI Mag. Used those 3 with 14/15/16g of 2400 under the 165g cast bullets. These have never grouped out of the Mauser, so other empirical data is needed. Lets see how fast they go, and use that new Chrony. Thankfully, the Chrony lives to record another day lol!
    3. Haven't done any prone shooting yet this year, so here's today's setup. Shooting on the 25yd line because it was empty. Other Mark, and a couple other guys were already shooting at 50yd and I didn't want to get in their way.

IMG_1123.jpg

Here's what I learned today. The Fed primers were always the slowest, and most consistent with having 2/3 loads with the lowest ES and Sd. The CCI was 2/3 for fastest, and shot closer to POA than the other 2. None of these groups are worth crap lol!

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

Then I got the CZ out. I like this rifle, but am monumentally unimpressed with CZ customer service. Emailed them about getting another firing pin spring to try, and only got "send it back, 4 to 6 weeks". Really? It's shooting season, so I put one of these in a few days ago.
    https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/CZ-527...RING-p72239490
    Started out with the Berry 123g plated over 14/15g of 2400 with the Unis primers in the new Starline brass. Those bullets are rated to 1900fps, so lets see what happens. 2 of the 14g and 1 of the 15g I hit 4 times with no go. Damn! The 14g averaged 1789fps, the 15g 1923fps and the ES and Sd went way up, and the target showed it as the group really spread out. The 14g went mostly into 1 hole so I'm going to do more work with that load. Wikipedia shows mil-spec 7.62x39 ammo out of a 16.3" (AK) barrel at 2396fps. The CZ has a 21.875" barrel, so let's see what the extra length will get with the Golden Tiger. Avg. 2572fps, a little higher as expected, and all 10 of them went bang first try which didn't happen last time. I'll keep working with it this summer to try to get the firing pin/spring sorted. If not it will go back this winter. One thing I do know is I'll never buy another new CZ. I really like Ross's CZ75 9mm, and if I decide to get one I'm heading to the used market.

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 07-22-2019 at 01:36 PM.

I sure like my 75B a bunch. Can't hit much with a pistol these days but I still have a lot of fun.
    Joe
    COG#1453