Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Getting too cold to shoot, so I started on some bench work. Bubba is laughing at me because I still don't have Dads .22 sorted, and the ejector spring showed up. Get to that later as I messed about with the stocking stuffers that also got here.
    Anyone play around with those caliber conversion inserts? I grabbed 2 to mess around with.
    On the left, a 20ga/9mm unit. Didn't get to the shotgun home defense project yet so this will be added. This thing is made of 2021 aluminium. Really? Place your bets. Will it last more than 1 shot? If so, will it group, not pattern? If it does, that begs a few questions. It's 2.5" oal. It chambers fine in my 870 out of the mag. It even has rifling in the guesstimated 1.7" "barrel" length. Think a FMJ bullet would rip that rifling out? I do, so I'm testing with the lightest lead load in the box. The chamber is o-ringed, and holds a round tight enough it could be the second shot. Would you rather have a 124g chunk of lead or a load of buckshot on the first shot? Regarding grouping, I'll have to borrow the single shot I gave to a nephew. That way I can index it, which I'd never get jacking it thru a pump gun out of the mag.

The unit on the right is 7.62x54/7.62x25. Since I finally got the Polish pair together, it would be cool to shoot them both grabbing rounds from the same box. I also want to try top end loading like that hot Czech stuff I got without losing brass, so this thing won't throw the brass in the parking lot lol! The insert chambers in Mosin well, but the 7.62x25 chamber is cut on the tight side. I loaded the rounds in the pic tonight, and they pass the plunk test in the Tok chamber fine. I put a sized only shell in the insert, and had to shove the bolt home in the M44. Then had to tap it out of the insert. Polished the 7.62x25 chamber and no better. On the plus side, the 110g .30 Carbine bullets drop right thru, so no swaging will occur.
    Another couple projects that have good chances to head to the top of the fail list lol! Be awhile, like next spring before these get shot. If it's warm in your area, take a few shots for me and tell me how it goes.

IMG_1214.jpg

Senior Veteran
    I'm predicting the aluminum insert will self machine into a smooth bore with an FMJ round. Lol!
    Last edited by scottz63; 12-07-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

didnt read it right i guess....

the 54r to TOK insert should be fun!

what are you gonna put that slug of aluminum in?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    I'm predicting the aluminum insert will self machine into a smooth bore with an FMJ round. Lol!
    Yep, me too lol! For the really adventurous they're also available in .357mag and .44mag. I went with 9mm because I still have a bunch of 20yr old light loads to get rid of. This one I'm going into with no, not low expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    didnt read it right i guess....

the 54r to TOK insert should be fun!

what are you gonna put that slug of aluminum in?
    The 20ga adaptor I'll start in my 870 with the short barrel I put on it in post 166. For a fair accuracy test I'll need to index it. My first shotgun was an H&R single shot I'll have to borrow from the nephew I gave it to when he started hunting. For the first top end loads in the Mosin/Tok adapter I'll repackage some of the Czech ammo in Starline brass. I pulled one apart last night. Had a full case, 10g, of flake powder and an 84.6g bullet. I remember what a PITA pouring hot water down the Mosin barrel was and not doing that again. I wish they would have cut that 7.62x25 chamber a little deeper. I'm sure I'm going to have to tap the shell out with a drift.

To avoid boredom over Xmas break, I loaned my inside shop to my friend Kathy to change the cyl. base gskt on her GS500. She did all but the heavy lifting and got the top end off yesterday.

IMG_1215.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 12-08-2019 at 10:25 AM.

yep im stupid.... just didnt catch the 20 gauge part even after re reading it.

yo uwill have a lot of fun with the TOK stuff.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.