Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Good looking stock on there! Much better than that plastic crap stock. Lol
    Thanks Scott. Pulled it out of the box and "Whoa, not black but grey! Score! lol.

Senior Veteran
    You guessed it, another project lol! It's obvious I have a love/hate thing going with my Mosin. I was happy enough with the way it shot with the Sig red dot sight I'm going to work on it some more. Going to try the shim accuracy kit. Anyone have any opinions on this? Works or waste of time? I loaded up some Berry's 123g plated over 6-8 grains of HP38 pop can loads for the test.

IMG_1030.jpg

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    You guessed it, another project lol! It's obvious I have a love/hate thing going with my Mosin. I was happy enough with the way it shot with the Sig red dot sight I'm going to work on it some more. Going to try the shim accuracy kit. Anyone have any opinions on this? Works or waste of time? I loaded up some Berry's 123g plated over 6-8 grains of HP38 pop can loads for the test.
    I have not tried the shim accuracy kit so I can't comment on it, but I did put the shim/spring kit in the trigger group to lighten/shorten up the trigger. It works well and makes the trigger feel a bit better. It's cheap too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosin-Nagan...gAAOxyyF5RMYLD
    Last edited by scottz63; 03-16-2019 at 01:26 AM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Hey Scott. Already have that trigger kit in it, and I'm still not happy with the feel. Watched this video yesterday.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6897&FORM=VIRE
    I'm already tooled up with everything he uses, so will work on lowering and getting close to 90 on the sear when the action is out to get the shims in.
    Last edited by Don in IA; 03-16-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Hey Scott. Already have that trigger kit in it, and I'm still not happy with the feel. Watched this video yesterday.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6897&FORM=VIRE
    I'm already tooled up with everything he uses, so will work on lowering and getting close to 90 on the sear when the action is out to get the shims in.
    Nice, I might try the same.

Senior Veteran
    Haven't posted to my blog for awhile so here's what's going on.

No range report today as I'm still waiting for my range park to get repaired after Ma Natures last kick to the gonads after the worst winter I've seen in 20+ years. Warmed up too fast for the river ice to melt, and the icebergs trashed the park. Rode down past my old cabin yesterday and it looks like a war zone. My old neighbor 2 houses down had his deck ripped off. I'd have been in the same boat. I miss the old neighborhood, but not as much now lol!

Needed more clips for the Garand so grabbed another bandoleer kit, and saw they had one for .30 Carbine and got that also. I'm as bad as the ex when it comes to accessories lol! Got some loading experiments for the Carbine and needed the ammo boxes so filled the clips with pop can lead loads to make room.

IMG_1032.jpg

The buckshot/shotgun home defense experiment got moved forward due to a bolt from the blue event last month. Relating to my other main hobby of fixing/riding old motorcycles, some parts were sold. If you've ever wondered what it takes to get one going ( at a minimum, this one was the easiest of the herd ) check this out. http://tx750.proboards.com/thread/22...-re-commission The parts I bought that didn't need were listed and gathering dust since I sold the bike 2 years ago. That was enough for the barrel and shells. Nothing special here, the ubiquitous cheap Rem 870 20ga. This is the one I bought at the same show when I traded my top of the line 870 Ltwt. Mag 20ga. for the MAK90. And yes, I hit the front sight bead with the yellow paint pen. Pray you never get cataracts lol! If you want to see the old bikes I play with there is a photobucket link in the first post in the above thread.

IMG_1031.jpg

paint pen... & here i just htought you had polished a brass bead real bright. LOL

thats how good my eyes are Don.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    The range is open, so I decided to start with the revolvers.

First up was the .38 snub. I opined lighter, faster bullets would bring the POI down closer to POA. That is what happened. The 4.5g HP38 load was better than anything tried last year, and the 4.8g load is close to what I want. I have some Shooters World Auto Pistol powder to try next. All but certain that's the same as Accurate #5 I used a bunch of for 9mm way back when. Pretty sure I can get a few more fps with it. Then it was on to double action cyl. dumps with the rest of those 148g WC's that shot too high. The more I shoot it the more I like it. Nice trigger that will only get better.

IMG_1034.jpg

Then I got the GP100 out and shot a couple boxes of 125g RNFP's I loaded long ago. Always a pleasure to shoot this. Loving the Hi-Viz front sight.

Speaking of Hi-Viz sights, next was checking out the new sight on the Single Six. Time for some tree rat hunting. Needed to get the sights close for the upcoming .22 shootout.
    Fodder was Rem. Golden Bullets. Never had much luck with these, but some of you remember when a few years ago .22 was hard to find. This stuff was the first that came along and I picked up 3 of the big boxes. Oh well, at least they all went bang today, which is a rarity, and only found 2 loose bullets, which also beat the usual odds lol! Love those Hi-Viz sights. Just like using that red dot sight I have parked on the Mosin. Should have tried them years ago.

IMG_1035.jpg

Senior Veteran

Nice shootin! Also cool you got out to the range. Been way too much rain here to do that.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Nice shootin! Also cool you got out to the range. Been way too much rain here to do that.
    Hey Scott. Felt GOOD to get to the range today. Anyone that doesn't believe in global warming needs to pay a little more attention to the weather patterns. Flooding has been getting worse around here for the last 15yrs, not to mention wiping me out of the cabin in 08. Range was closed 3 mo. last summer, and finally getting started today is a month later than I usually get started. I have test loads for everything so watch for a bunch of range reports. It was a long, cold, boring winter so I loaded almost all the available brass lol!