Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Today's project is the M92 sights. After banging the plastic gong a few days ago I'm sure I don't like that buckhorn sight. Decided to go with the pic rail from NOE for awhile. Both color options available. Nice machining and came with torx screws to mount it. 2 thumbs up. I'll start with the scope I had on the Mosin for some load development, then try a cheap Bushnell TRS-25 red dot for clay pigeon busting.

IMG_1190.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Today is the last day of another 1 1/2 week of layoff, so I went for another walk in the woods. Tried anyway, but the river is just going down from another flood last week and it's still pretty wet in places. Today I'm on the west side of the river over in Falls Access. Wearing my leather boots, I wasn't wading across this to get in the woods proper.

IMG_1191.jpg

Backtracking to higher ground. The slough on the left was always planted bitd, but looks like it's been in CRP for years now. There's a string of puddles in the woods on the right we used to get woodies, teal, and the occasional pintail. The only game sighting today was along the end of the slough and the tree line where I took a left to head over to the RR tracks. A napping whitetail jumped up and darted into the woods.

IMG_1192.jpg

Across the tracks is aptly named Railroad lake. Over on the far side is where my buddies did most of their decoy hunting. I did it a few times, but much preferred the puddle jumping. I'd rather be moving instead of sitting and freezing my ass off lol!

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

No trains running today, the gandy dancers are doing some line repair. This is the bridge over Beaver Creek, and where I learned peer pressure is the most powerful force in the universe. My buddies used to climb up top all the time. I hate heights, but went up once. Nice view, after the adrenaline shakes wore off a little lol!

IMG_1195.jpg

Beautiful day for a walk. 52, overcast, and a little wind. Got down to freezing the last 2 nights and not a skeeter was found today. Grab your .22 and go for a walk. Exercise, fresh air, stress relief, and bothering the deer for a bonus.

great pix as always! glad to hear there was a mosquito kill off. cant wait for the frost to hit here for that exact reason.

so you are gonna go fancy new battery powered on that classic lever action. as long as you are shooting & having a good time is all that matters.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    great pix as always! glad to hear there was a mosquito kill off. cant wait for the frost to hit here for that exact reason.

so you are gonna go fancy new battery powered on that classic lever action. as long as you are shooting & having a good time is all that matters.
    Hey S. I'll play around with that red dot awhile and see how it goes. It's nice to have options. It won't LOOK right to my eye, but I've always been function over form.
    After posting those pics I checked out the local range web page and it opened up for day use. So I headed right over. Started with the Enfield to try those swaged 170g. bullets. Like the 118g's, the 170's liked 7g of HP38 better than 8g's. No leading in the barrel so more speed with 2400 and SW-BR is next. Off to a good start on that project. Then I grabbed the M92 to see how the scope would do. That worked much better. Just couldn't make that buckhorn sight work. Shot some 125g RNFP's over 5/5.5g of HP38 and the faster ones tightened up. I'll try 6g next, but the 5.5g looks "minute of clay pigeon" to me so I'll probably get to playing with the red dot sooner than I thought.

IMG_1196.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Got out to do some work with the pistols today. Started with the .45 Commander min. eject load project. 5.5g SW-UP. 3/12 ejected on the bench, and the rest stove-piped so I'm getting close. 7 were near POA which is better than I have been getting. Hey, I'm trying to get this pistol thing figured out.
    Next was the .38 Snub. It liked HP38 better than SW-UP today. Both low left, but they look more like groups than patterns. I'll load more of the HP38, and take a file to trim the sight and try to get it centered.
    Last was the Single Six. Grabbed the wrong ammo but it's fun and cheap to use for trigger finger isolation practice.

IMG_1197.jpg