Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    I sure like my 75B a bunch. Can't hit much with a pistol these days but I still have a lot of fun.
    I really like those also. If you want to work a trade on a Taurus PT908, PM me. Also, the vintage races are at Road America this weekend. I want to take one of the Yamaha's.
    Which one would you drag over there? RD400, R5C, or the XS650?

IMG_1130.jpg

If your on the fence about reloading, this might be a reason to pass on it lol! I bought some Shooters World powder to play with. In both the Tac.(SWT), and Match(SWM) the starting load for .223 is 18g. Really? This brings on a few questions. Why would you want to download .223? I've had my best groups with H335 at the upper end 24/26g. Is there any accuracy to be found that low? OK, let's throw another wrench in the gears lol! Supposedly 1:12 twist, (like my Ruger has), is only good for up to 55g bullets. So I guess I should try this with 62g FMJ's. In order to make sure these don't land too close together I also shot them in the M4 with the red dot lol! The loads were both powders 18-22g with bulk M855 bullets. I started with the Ruger shooting the rest of the Dogtown 55g HP's loads that I shot earlier in post 206. Then I shot these 62g loads alternating guns to let the barrel cool a little. Shooting the 50yd line today. I shot these targets top row to bottom, left to right. You'll draw your own conclusions, but here's my take.

Ruger.
    For the Dogtown 55g HP's, 24g H335 was best last time at 100yd, and looked good today. If I wouldn't have pulled that 1 shot low on the SWT 23g it would have won. Damn near knocked that tiny center ring out but alas, I suck lol!
    For the 62g loads, the SWT is the faster powder, burn rate close to H335. The higher the load the more they spread. The slower SWM, burn rate close to AA2520, the higher the load they got closer.

M4.
    Shot the first 4 loads on the left target with red dot only. Had a hell of a time trying to keep that dot balanced on top of the front iron sight and centered in the target at the same time. The last 6 loads I flipped up the rear MBUS, and that helped. It's a cheap, fun range toy, but I can plainly see I'll never win a shooting match with it. If the Zombies come marching down the street at dusk when I'm having trouble picking up the front sight, I'm good to go lol! If there's any way to judge this I'd go with POI closest to POA, and both the low end 18g loads were best there. I'll try this test after I get new eyes next month. Seems to be room for improvement here lol!

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 07-25-2019 at 06:19 AM.

I'd take a shot with that RD400 for a giggle.
    I was trying to tighten up my old M77R .243 a couple of years ago because I just wasn't satisfied with what it was doing with factory ammo purchased in the past 10 yrs. The bullets have to jump a mile to hit the lands in the old Ruger barrels. I tried setting to the lands and almost had nothing in the neck I quickly discovered. Anyway never did get around to shooting any I loaded because the tremors intensified and don't believe I could have hit anything anyway. I may give it another try soon cuz the meds seem to be helping somewhat, but don't think I'll be doing any reloading for some time to come.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    I'd take a shot with that RD400 for a giggle.
    Hey Joe, the races were awesome this year. I ended up taking the rat XS650. After setting up camp, Kathy and I hopped on the bikes and spent a couple hours getting lost in the Kettle Moraine forest. Seriously nice riding in that neighborhood if you ever get that way.

IMG_1135.jpg

Got to the range today for more work on the CZ527. Neck sized 20 rds. that did go off last time, and still only 6 of those went bang. The other 14 all went bang in the MAK90. I now think I'm dealing with an excessive headspace issue. The primer strikes looked ok out of the CZ, but were shallower compared to the MAK's side by side.
    Then it was off to the short line for stress relief. The GP100 still likes 148g DEWC's.

Senior Veteran
    So I'm still thinking about the problem child CZ 527. Is it a primer problem? Is it a victim of what we machinists refer to as "stacking" tolerances? Chamber cut to the long side, and firing pin on the short side would result in a shallow primer strike. Are those low end Berry plated bullets not developing enough pressure to form the case shoulder to the chamber? I really don't care if the chamber is cut long as this is a bolt gun and all the brass will be neck sized. To that end, I loaded some higher pressure rounds to try today. Split the difference between start and max with Shooters World Blackout (old AA1680) 23.8g, some of my dwindling stash of WW 123g FMJ's, and both Unis and Fed. primers. Used both new, and fired/neck sized brass. It's a primer problem. ALL the Fed. primer loads went first try. Only 1/7 in the fired brass, and none of the new brass loads went with the Unis primers. This is just weird. I run those primers in every other rifle and have only had a couple misfires in the Enfield. Here's why I don't want to send this rifle back. If I do my part, it's a f'n tack driver. Going to make a good hog/coyote gun. The first 5 out of a cold barrel went .3" at 50yd. Then I ran the rounds that didn't go off thru the MAK90, and 3 still wouldn't go and need to be pulled. So I have 400 of the Fed. primers left, and will use those in the CZ. Going to load all this fired brass with those primers and the Berry bullets. If they all go off I'm calling this sorted.

IMG_1141.jpg

Then I got the Enfield out. Shot everything on hand loaded in the old S&B brass. It's all losing neck tension and getting hard to chamber as it's all been neck sized TOO many times and needs the case shoulders bumped back a little. I'm going to use all this brass to learn how to get that Aneeleez machine dialed in.

IMG_1142.jpg

Don, what brass are you using? I ask because some use small rifle primers and others use large. I'm sure you are aware of this just wondering if it is a small rile primer problem or if it is all large rifle primer related.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    Don, what brass are you using? I ask because some use small rifle primers and others use large. I'm sure you are aware of this just wondering if it is a small rile primer problem or if it is all large rifle primer related.
    It's all large primer. The old stuff is WW white box, the new is Starline.

Senior Veteran
    So I broke my rule about going to the range on weekends this morning. It worked out as nobody else came to the 50yd line before the drizzle sent me packing. Working with the CZ527 again. Loaded the Berry 123's with 1cc(12.5g) of 2400 over 10 Fed. primers, and 7 CCI Mag. primers. They all went first squeeze. So, it doesn't like the Unis primers. No big deal, everything else I have using those work fine. I'm calling the firing issue sorted. A little vertical stringing with the Fed., but all 10 managed to cut 1 hole. The CCI loads opened up a little. I wasn't going to set up for only 17rds so took the Mosin along to stay all Russian lol! Still had major trouble with those sights, which hopefully will get fixed next Wednesday. The targets sucked, but I'm happy to say the trigger work I did on it was well worth the time spent.

IMG_1145.JPG

Senior Veteran
    Today is my last chance to get some before/after iron sight shooting done as the shooting eye gets fixed tomorrow. Decided on the .30 Carbine and 03A3 as they have basically the same rear sight. Started with the Carbine. Shot up the last of the lead 110RN's I had not yet loaded. Went up on my usual pop can load to 5.5/6g of HP38 to see if it would chamber the next round without showing excessive pressure signs. The 5.5g ejected all but chambered none. Accuracy was a little worse than the 4.3g pop can load.
    The 6g almost chambered the first 3 rounds, but then as the chamber warmed up it gave them enough oomph to load the next 7. No over pressure signs but accuracy went to minute of barn door lol! Horrible! Totally exceeded the speed at which those plain base bullets will fly straight. Other than the 150 or so pop can loads those bullets are gone. I'm staying with the Berry plated bullets. They shoot better and barrel cleaning is easier.

IMG_1146.JPG

Then I shot some of those Berry's over Shooters World Heavy Pistol. Dropped the load from the 10/11g I shot last time to 9/9.5g today. Looking for accuracy with minimum full function. All of them chambered the next round. I'll try 8/8.5g, but today's accuracy looked a little wider than the 10/11g loads. Still, it's better than I ever got with those pb cast bullets.

IMG_1147.JPG

Then I got the 03A3 out. Working with the Berry 150g FP bullets the Mauser likes. Loads were 14/15/16g of 2400, with the Unis primers the CZ won't shoot. Like the Mauser, this 03A3 likes the 16g. Then I shot my M2 ball equivalent load with Armscorp's bulk 147FMJ's over 46.5g of Shooters World Match. These aren't known as match bullets, but the 10 shot, 200yd sight group scored 97/100. This rifle is a keeper.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

I like to find something military related to watch when cleaning guns and doing brass prep at the loading bench. Ran into this last week. Kind of a sci-fi Soviet armor flic. I thought it was good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGDJ5-dXaI
    Last edited by Don in IA; 08-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.