Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    ah you had your cloak of invisibility on when that picture got took. LOL
    Yah, I work on Harry Potter's bike and get to borrow his toys every now and then lol!

Got the next round of 7.62x25/Mosin adapter loads put together this morning. Trying the Berry .311 123g SP's this time. I couldn't find load data anywhere, so had to do some extrapolating. It appears the the 9mm was based on the 7.62x25 without the neck. Both these cartridges run around 35k psi max. As the base of the 123g bullets sit where the bottleneck starts, and not down further taking up internal case capacity like a 124g bullet will in a 9mm, using a starting load for 9mm/124g cast bullet should be ok. Went with 5g of SW-AP at 1.55 oal. Obviously too long to fit the Tok mag, I still tried the plunk test in the Tok barrel. Dropped right in. Just wanted to know if the larger diameter bullet would fit the Tok chamber in case I can't find enough accuracy with the .308 110g .30 Carbine bullets.

IMG_1220.jpg

that makes a super long TOK round.

might be great fun for single shot. you ever shoot anything that makes a mess? would love to see what this type of TOK does to a soda bottle or melon vs regular store bought TOK. :-)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    that makes a super long TOK round.

might be great fun for single shot. you ever shoot anything that makes a mess? would love to see what this type of TOK does to a soda bottle or melon vs regular store bought TOK. :-)
    Those 123g Tok loads were a little better. Got all 10 on paper, and 4 of those hit black. I'm guessing it was the fatter bullet. No pressure signs on the brass/primer so room to amp it up. Thinking about more speed (which is scary for someone ill equipped for thinking such as myself lol), will it hurt more than help? The bullet has about an inch to travel before it hits the rifling instead of the .020" I usually aim for, so it's already gathering speed. I wonder how far it skids before the rifling imparts rotation. Such is the fun of reloading cast bullets. Only the amount of time and $ I want to throw at it will tell. Which ain't much lol!
    The control group I shot was those 165g FP's, that none of my rifles like, over 8g of HP38. Windage shifted right to left. I got no clues there, but they grouped better.

Then I grabbed the M92. Tried a new bullet, a 125g TC, instead of the 125g RNFP I started with. Grouped about the same, still minuteofclaypigeon at 50yd, but the biggest thing I learned was how much better they fed. Slicker than deer guts on a door knob. The RNFP's would hitch chambering every now and then. Those were what the rifle was designed to feed. I get every gun is different, but I'm going to work more with the TC's.

That's as far as I got. In 45 minutes my hands were froze and cried enough. Think I'll get a couple cheap golf gloves to see if they'll work ok as shooting gloves.

IMG_1221.jpg

The time of year I hate the most is here. Cabin fever has set in. Too cold and snowy to go to the range. Except for 100 rds. left to load for the Mauser, and any misc. experiment I can dream up, the reloading is done. That leaves the "Bubba's workbench" projects. Got the ejector parts for Dad's .22, which I'll get to next, but worked on a couple other projects yesterday. Started with the AK. Always wondered what it would be like to shoot one with a pistol grip. One of the parts sellers had an Xmas deal on a plastic E. Ger. set minus the lower hand guard for $20. Cheap enough for a few hours of winter entertainment. Got the butt stock off and went to fit the plastic one and ran into the first problem, it's too wide. Forgot one of the things that makes the Chinese AK's the best is they use 1.5 mm steel in the receiver instead of the 1 mm used in the combloc units. I'll have to file .020" off each side to get it in. Then problem 2. The pistol grip screw is too short so I'll have to find a longer one.

IMG_1222.jpg

Then I grabbed the M16 to put a different scope on. The carry handle scope looks the part of an oe Colt clone, sort of lol! but the optics aren't the best. I want to do an M14/M16 comparo at 200 yd, and to be fair they should have the same scope so picked up another Leupold 3x9, and some Nikon P-rings to mount it. Those rings are ok. A little deburring like any aluminium ring and they slid right on the rail. Will make it easy to move over to the M4 also.

IMG_1224.jpg

Well, the AK stock was too much for my "asian rim" files, so that project will wait until I can get in the garage and chuck up an endmill in the drill press to carve it to size.
    Found something else to play with. Acetylene smoke is great for blackening sights. The easy way would be to go to the garage and fire up the torch. But, as stated, it's too cold out there. Plan B, re-commission one of G'Pa's carbide lamps. In the pic, disassembled one on the left is first. The one in the middle has a cracked flange where the o-ring seals the carbide cup to the water tank and will need to be soldered. On the right is the cap G'Pa used when he started working for CNW RR as a brakeman. Amazingly, he made it to Engineer with all his fingers, as a lot of brakemen didn't. The ultrasonic cleaner worked great. The water valve now shuts off and regulates, and cleaned out the gas jet. I found the Carbide and all the repair parts on Ebay and they're on the way.
    This could lead to a fun related experiment! Suppose I put some water in a 2L soda bottle, dropped a chunk of carbide in, screwed the cap on tight, walk back to the bench, pick up the M4, and put a tracer thru it. Think it would literally blow up? I should try that when no one else is there.

IMG_1227.JPG

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Basically, a total bust!
    Took my new M16A2 clone (the Barbie gun) out to the range to run it in. It didn't go well. Stripped the first round out of a brand new PMAG and didn't go bang. WTF? Went downhill from there. I thought it didn't pick up a round the first time, racked it again and it loosened the bullet trying to go into the crowded chamber. Fook! Emptied the chamber and started over. Got the next one downrange and it didn't pick the next round. Reseated the mag, got the next round off and it jammed so tight nothing would move. Can you say pissed off? Not even close. Now I have a live round in it wondering if I'd have a ventilated truck door when I got home. Not sure what the factory approved way of dealing with this is, but a long lever thru the mag well shifted the bolt so I could clear it. I'm not giving up on the AR15 platform yet, but I'd expect a new gun to work better than this.
    Gear review. Not much with only 2 shots. No overpressure signs on the IMI M193 ammo. The $6 brass catcher caught both lol! The MTM target holder was steady. The bench bag worked when stood on the long end. (note to self, remember to bring the 20 rd. mags when shooting off the bench next time) Bear Creek will never be known for their triggers. The only way I'll be able tell which one is worse between this and my Mosin is which one I happen to be shooting at the time.
    Out of the box the windage was close, and the front sight was a little high at 25 paces.

Attachment 53745

Attachment 53747
    Barbie gun.jpg
    THAT, is a Barbie gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gnatsstang View Post
    THAT, is a Barbie gun.
    Why yes, yes it is lol! I "think" the Barbie gun remark comes from Mattel™ making some early stocks for the M16.

Got back to the carbide lamps today. Decided to do the beat one first to work on the soldering skills. Yep, they need work. Notice the cap hanger on it. Looks to me like a piece of fence wire twisted on with a glob of solder to hold it on. We all wish our rifles could tell their story's. What I think this lantern is telling me is "I already owe the company store too much to buy a new one, so I have to fix this with what I got to feed my family". My soldering is the shiny stuff, 2 cracks on the flange, and 1 crack in the carbide cup.

IMG_1229.JPG

I put 1 pea size carbide chunk in the cup and turned on the water. Waved the grill lighter and it lit. Maybe the first time in 70some years it's made light.

IMG_1228.JPG

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    I put 1 pea size carbide chunk in the cup and turned on the water. Waved the grill lighter and it lit. Maybe the first time in 70some years it's made light.
    Very cool! I love it when something old and forgotten is brought back to life.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Very cool! I love it when something old and forgotten is brought back to life.
    Thanks Scott. I tend to live in the past. I like old, simple stuff I can fix and maintain myself.

I noticed this would be post 308, so would be remiss if I didn't include a couple. Got some winter cleaning done today. Didn't take much as I only shot these a couple times last summer. Quick wipe-off and re-grease. That done, it's time to get soldering on carbide lamp #2.

IMG_1230.JPG

Oops, see you got 308 lol! Close enough.
    Last edited by Don in IA; 02-19-2020 at 02:38 PM.

While waiting for the water to go down and range to open, I have time to get a few new experiments loaded. Always feel like a kid in a candy store when new bullets get here lol! To say there's a dearth of comm. made cast bullets for 7.62x25 Tok is a lie. I found none! So, like the Enfield, I'll make them out of something else. SNS Casting has some 90g. swc's sized .313. Picked up a Lee .309 sizer, flap polished it, and those bullets come out at .3095. These are the closest in weight to the 85g. factory loaded 7.62x25 I could find. While shopping, I picked up a box of their 115g. .30 Carbine bullets also. Going to have to start with the Mosin/Tok first at the range to get some Tok brass as I loaded all of it with the Berry 110g. plated bullets. But I found some .30 Carbine brass so will try both those bullets in that first. Pleasant surprise from SNS. They didn't charge sales tax for a 7% bonus! Will be interesting to see if the Tok/Carbine will feed those flat nosed bullets out of the mags.

IMG_1232.JPG

Scott, I'm trying to get some interest back in the Comet. That pos Edelbrock carb had to go, so I went back to a stock Autolite 4100. Grab your eye bleach. It's damn ugly under the hood lol!

IMG_1231.JPG
    Last edited by Don in IA; 03-15-2020 at 11:35 AM.