Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    My last stocking stuffers got here today so got a little Bubba bench time in tonight. Here's how the vintage Weaver looks on Dad's .22. Like most of my projects, some unanticipated work is involved. This scope came with aluminum rings on it that must have been installed on the scope tube before the reticle towers were installed. The optics are nice and clear, so taking them apart was not an option. Would have been nice to save them and pass them along, but I had to score them with the Dremel cut-off wheel and break them off. Love the look. Those tear-drop, art deco adjuster covers rock! I think Dad would approve.

IMG_1008.jpg

Now, I could use some advice and opinions. Lets talk about red dot sights. I've always been curious about these. Never looked thru one before tonight. I made the mistake of cruising on fleabay over the holidays, while having a few beers as we will lol! Came across this unit from Sig Sauer called a ROMEO5, for $80. Did a little google-fu, while having a few more beers, and decided it was cheap enough for a go. I suspect this will work ok on my M4 clone.
    Now for the questions. This has 0 magnification. Are they any use past 100yds? Are they durable? What do you see these having an advantage over a scope?
    As far as durable, I'm going to test that first. Nothing in my gun safe dishes out more punishment than the Mosin lol! It already had a rail on it so that was an easy choice.

IMG_1007.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 02-24-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Senior Veteran

Love that vintage scope on the .22!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    We're in the middle of a Jan. heat wave. A balmy 48, so lets see what this Sig red dot is all about. Off to the 25yd line.
    Ammo choice is Wolf light ball 148FMJ. Luckily, the first hit cardboard saving ammo shooting at the corners wondering where the first one went lol! Already I think I have a problem. Specs say this has +/- 40MOA adj., and the first shot is 13" /52MOA left. Can I get over that far? Most optics I've bought were fairly well centered out of the box, but this one must not have been as I got there. Adjusted a bunch for shot 2, adjusted a bunch more for shot 3 which was close, so shot 2 more hoping for a group instead of a pattern. Close enough, but I needed it higher. I have 3 ladder loads of slower cast bullets to run, so made another adjustment and shot 5 more. Got where I wanted in 10 rounds. I think this Mosin would be a good shooter if I can ever get used to that trigger that just keeps creeping. I know your supposed to be surprised when the shot goes off, but I'd like "some" idea of when that is lol! I'll get more practice with those cast loads.

As far as the Sig unit, 10 rounds in I like it. I had to change the mount as it came on the tall one that co-witnesses with the front sight on an M4/M16. Got the screws tight enough. It didn't shoot loose, and the adjustment clicks seemed accurate enough. Optics are very clear, and the adjustable dot brightness I needed to bump up. It has a 2MOA dot that fit well in the black of the target I used. I don't have any other experience to compare this to, and don't have any other use for this than a range toy. I'm going to shoot those cast loads with this, then move it to the M4 to see how that co-witness thing works. For now I give this a 1+ thumbs up!

IMG_1009.jpg

you are having a heat wave out there!

be careful enjoying that good weather!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran

Nice shooting with the Mosin!

58 degrees here today and tomorrow. Heat wave for sure! Might get out to the range.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Nice shooting with the Mosin!

58 degrees here today and tomorrow. Heat wave for sure! Might get out to the range.
    Thanks for the props Scott, but did you miss I was on the 25yd line lol! This was the best group I got with it all year. I've bagged on the trigger every time I posted about shooting it. If those ladder loads show no joy I'm going to have to decide how much I really want to keep it. I do like this rifle, and can afford the hit on the value carving the stock out to put a Timney trigger in it. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Don in IA; 01-19-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Nothing too exciting going on today but digging out from 4" of snow, yuck lol! So, in the need of stress relief I hit the loading bench. My bullet re-stock order got here last week. Part of that was pills for the snubbie. Went with 125g RNFP coated from Missouri Bullet. Going to try lighter and faster to get it to shoot closer to POA. 4.5g & 4.8g of HP38. 4.8 is top whack before getting to +P, so when it warms up a little I'll see how it goes. Not only snow, but the weather guru's say we're going to finally hit the deep freeze for the next couple weeks. I really envy you people that can have fun shooting in this crap weather.

This leads me a question for the learned assembly here. Winter ammo. Suppose I could actually screw up my ambition to shoot in these conditions. I certainly wouldn't chase brass in snow so that leaves the cheap steel cased stuff. The Wolf .45ACP and 7.62x54R worked ok last couple shoots, but what about other calibers? Any you would stay away from? I see some offered in .30 Carbine. Usable? My carbine is my favorite and the last gun I'd take a chance with.

IMG_1012.jpg

On another tangent, some self induced stress lol! Looking for the lost spark in the left cyl. of the A7. Finding it isn't the problem, it's just working on electrickery is my least favorite job keeping these old bikes on the road. Then, the carbs are weeping so the float needles need a look see. Saving the best for last the clutch is slipping. Hoping, no praying, it's just weak pressure plate springs lol! It's 2 hours just to pull the clutch all the way out. A total PITA to wrench on compared to a dead simple RD350.

IMG_1010.jpg

Senior Veteran

I tried Tula in .30 Carbine last year. I shot it through my Universal paratrooper. It shot fine. Fairly accurate and no misfires or such. Pretty dirty and smelly though as expected. I don't think I would shoot it through my IBM Carbine though.

Now the Tula in .223, junk. Way underpowered. It would not cycle my AR Dissipator at all, nor would it cycle in my friend Mike's. Stay away from this one.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    I tried Tula in .30 Carbine last year. I shot it through my Universal paratrooper. It shot fine. Fairly accurate and no misfires or such. Pretty dirty and smelly though as expected. I don't think I would shoot it through my IBM Carbine though.

Now the Tula in .223, junk. Way underpowered. It would not cycle my AR Dissipator at all, nor would it cycle in my friend Mike's. Stay away from this one.
    Thanks for the heads up Scott. I guess if I want to get froze at the range I'll do it with the revolvers, bolt rifles, or .22's.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Scott. I guess if I want to get froze at the range I'll do it with the revolvers, bolt rifles, or .22's.
    Your welcome. If you want to shoot throw away cases, the cheap Federal aluminum stuff at wally world cycles and shoots fine through everything I have tried it in. .45 and 9mm anyways.