Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Got some more work done on the Enfield and it's coming around real good. After getting the fore stock tightened up I looked into the dodgy magazine. It had a tendency to jam up after 2/3 rounds so I bought a repro. Then I notice the original is missing a piece, the mag aux. spring. Got that and a few other bits from ssporters.com. I use a recoil pad, so when I saw they have a 1/2" shorter butt stock for $20 I grabbed one. New birch, nice looking chunk of wood.
    Took it to the range yesterday and happy with the groups. Shooting at around 27 paces. Started with the pop can loads which were around 8" at 50yrds. the last time I shoot it. Yikes lol! Yesterday they were under 2". That rifle must have a really tall front sight. At 100yd on the ladder sight they were below the bottom of the target. At 200yd they got on the paper. Then I ran 10 of the 123 FMJ's with 400yd. on the sight and that was close to POA which was a 6 o'clock hold.

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

Then I tried running the M16 again. Jammed on the first round. I worked on it some today and think it might be that IMI ammo. It will chamber but not fall out on it's own with gravity. Tried some steel case Wolf that fell right out, and my reloads will also fall out. The chamber isn't rough but must be on the tight side. On the bright side, the one round I got off was just a couple clicks of windage off POA. Almost got the irons dialed in with 3 rounds.

IMG_0815.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 04-19-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Spring is finally here. It's warm enough to go shooting, if the range was open. That snow we got last week dumped 8" north of here. My local range is in a county park, and less than a stones throw from the river, which is now flooded. Should be open middle of next week. So, I got some gear sorted last night. I've never used the spotting scope for prone, so figured I should get a setup process down now as to not waste range time. I like that Midway shooting mat. I don't feel like getting grungy at the range any more and it was on sale for $40. I then put in 30 minutes of dry fire practice which I sorely need.

IMG_0822.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Fortune smiles upon me. They're having trouble getting forgings (raw gear blanks) at work, so they're paying me to keep away for this week lol! What to do? Work on the bikes and go shooting of course! My local range will be under water for at least a week, so went the the only other range around here about 20 miles east. Haven't been there for at least 15 years, and it looked the same.
    There was 1 old boy there, shooting a Mosin in a black plastic stock. Hopeing to swap load info, but he said he had around 8K of surplus at home that would last longer than him lol! I get the M16 out for 1 more try. Put 3 Wolf .223 55g FMJ's in a mag. I'll be damned if they didn't cut the same hole! Tried 3 Wolf .223 62g HP's next. Not nearly as accurate, but ran fine. Next I tried 3 reloads, 55g FMJ's over 23g of H335. Better than the 62g's and ran fine. Then I tried that IMI M193 that I've had trouble with last 2 times out. Jammed on the first shot trying to load the second. The gun runs fine, but hates that IMI stuff. Damn, I bought 900 rounds lol! When you get a lemon, make lemonade. I brought my Ruger M77 just in case. I've read pages about shooting 5.56 in a .223, so let's see what the hubbub is all about. Sent one down, and the bolt opened like it always does. Primer shows no signs of over pressure. I needed some brass for the next experiment so put all 60 of the IMI to use reducing every piece of clay pigeon I could see on the 100yd berm to less than the size of a quarter. Had the scope dialed in at 25 paces so had the aim about 2-2 1/2" low.
    While this is going on, the old boy puts the Mosin away, and gets out a 6 digit Springfield M1A. Too cool! I tell him hold on, I have a new one I haven't shot yet and could you spot my first 3 brass? No problem he says. They landed about 2 o'clock 7' away. This thing doesn't throw brass too far, bonus. He's packing up to go so we chat about work for awhile. He worked where I do and retired in 95.
    So then I emptied 3 20's, and 1 ten round out of the M14. Awesome rifle platform! Best iron sights I've ever used, not that the targets show that lol! I'm blaming that on the cataracts. I'm going back tomorrow morning. I forgot the scope! Doh! I need more brass anyway, and now the irons are mostly dialed in. I want to break in that new shooting mat and bipod shooting 100yd with the scope. I also want to see how that Golden Tiger stuff shoots in the AK.
    Now, I'm off for another beer and to see where my sparks went on the RD400. Stranded me 1/2 mile from home Saturday. Pretty sure the kill switch died. Did get the head bearings greased, new fork gaiters, and fork oil in the A1 yesterday. That steering had more notches in it that Wyatt Earp's favorite SAA!

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 05-07-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Being overjoyed that M16 actually works, last nights and this mornings learning experience was seeing how these lego for adults rifles are put together and change some parts. Got the hand guards on last night. Found out those big blue handled pliers are the tool for getting the guards off and on. They also fixed the one part that didn't cooperate. The flash hider crush washer was way crushed. Had to oil the threads and screw it off. It's toast, but going to get replaced when the 3 prong hider gets here.
    This morning I replaced that crappy trigger with a 4lb. Velocity unit. Way better!
    I also looked into why it won't run the IMI ammo. Case neck diameter was coming in at .253-.254. The Wolf was at .250-.251. I'm still thinking the chamber is on the tight side. I'm certainly not recommending anyone do this, but I looked to see if I had a die to tighten up those case necks and found my .223 neck sizing die without the primer punch tightened a few enough they would actually fit in the Hornady case gage. Doesn't say much for IMI's quality control. Anyone else having problems with IMI ammo? I still need to measure and try running the the 62g. M855 ammo. I've only tried the 55g. M193 so far thru the Ruger, but think the 62g. longer bullets might show overpressure in the .223 chamber.

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Got to the range yesterday to do scope sighting. M16 and M14 at 50yds.
    M16 first. As always, 2 steps forward and 1 back lol! Started with the IMI 62 g. Ran 60 rds. without a hitch. Switched to the 55 g. and got 6 off before it jammed. Dropped the mag, pulled the charge handle and it dumped a load of powder on the shooting bench. Doh! No cleaning rod to remove the stuck bullet so that was done for the day. Things I learned.
    30 rd. mags suck for use on a bench. Won't be any better shooting prone. Had to use the front bag on the side for clearance. I won't be buying any more of those. Load them up for SHTF and let them gather dust on the shelf.
    The scope returned to zero closer than I would have guessed for a mount that indexes by just wedging into the carry handle. 3 clicks windage and 3 clicks elevation going from 25 to 50 yds. That's acceptable.
    The 4lb. Velocity trigger has a nice clean single stage break with so little take-up you have to slow to detect. That was money well spent.
    The brass catcher bag was sliding all around on the triangle hand guard. Got a Bubba plan for that. I have some sticky backed Velcro around here somewhere lol!
    I'm done trying that 55g. IMI in this. When I need more brass I'll run it thru the Ruger.
    The cheek riser gets in the way of the charging handle. Should have seen that coming. I'll just have to adapt.

IMG_0849.jpg

On to the M14. That Bassett mount is nice. Easy on, easy off. I hope it returns to zero. Find that out next time. No drama with this rifle. Ran the 50 rds. I had, packed up and went home. The orange dot pic is the last 20 rds.
    So now I have 120 pcs. of 7.62, and a little over 200 5.56 to process and get some ladder loads made.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

mighty fine shootin as always!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Great shooting! Nice range as well.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Thanks guys. I'm both happy, and a little disappointed with that last group. Happy that this rifle runs good and shows potential. Everyting is still tight being new, especially inserting the mags. But I have a plan. 120 brass ain't enough, so just over that berm on the right is the 100 & 200yd range. Suppose some clay pigeons laying out at the 200yd backstop would be a good way to loosen this thing up and get more of that smelly SK brass available for loading? I do. Slinged up prone with the bipod is just the ticket.
    Disappointed because the only thing loose on it was the nut behind the trigger, covered with rust lol!
    Take away those 3 shots I pulled and that group would have nudged being ok.
    Did you notice there were no other targets? Another advantage to working 2nd shift. Had the range to myself for all but 20 minutes. And the guy that was there gave me some tips on the AR. It's in a county park 10 minutes away, but unsupervised. You couldn't pay me enough to go there on a weekend. I've seen some unsafe stuff happen.
    Stay tuned. Same bat time, same bat channel lol!
    Last edited by Don in IA; 05-26-2018 at 12:47 AM.

Senior Veteran
    No experiments today, just sighting in the Carbine and a little pistol practice with the autos.
    I flipped the scope mount front to back to see if it made any difference. That scope has very short eye relief, and it did feel a little more comfy set back a little further. I was shooting the lead pop can loads today. 110g RN over 4.4g of HP38. What surprised me was the 6/7 stovepipes, and for the first time with this batch 1 actually got all the way out on it's own lol! Have to knock it back a couple tenths on the powder next time. Scope was down 2" and right 2". Took me 25 rds. to get close and then sent 25 down at a Zombie. The 1 thru the helmet strap was a skeeters fault. Note to self, hose down with bug spray next time. They're out in full force now lol! Also need to get that brass shined up. The wayward unit cost me 10 minutes.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

Over on the pistol range I started with the .45 wearing the .22 conversion kit. 2 FTF with the cheap Remington bulk 36g. HP's. Other than that it ran fine. It's only got about 300 rds. down the tube and is running better every time I use it. That Taurus PT908 I'd have had a better result just throwing the damn thing at the target! I've never been able to hit a barn with that POS, even from the inside. It functions 100% with no accuracy to be found. It will be moved on at my next gun show buy.

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

And the least fun part of reloading continues. Initial milsurp de-crimping, sizing and the dreaded trimming. At least a beer, and watching the Marines take Peleliu on AHC takes the edge off.

IMG_0857.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Beautiful M1 Carbine! Love shooting those things.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer