Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

hang on there....

are you guys confusing "pmags" with MagPul?

pmags is usually promag==== very hit & miss in AR's if you are using promag? this is probably the problem.

magpul = very consistent & never had one fail in an AR.

other thing going around right now in AR's though is the bolt carrier's... lots of them out there right now that are binding up. just a hair out of spec & they are binding. we have had lots of conversations about these bolt carriers getting stuck.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Magpul magazines are called PMAGs as far as I have always known. Magpul themselves even call them PMAGs.

https://www.magpul.com/firearms-acce.../pmags/see-all

Promags on the other hand are pure junk. I won't allow them anywhere near my weapons. I don't even know how promag stays in business.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Magpul magazines are called PMAGs as far as I have always known. Magpul themselves even call them PMAGs.

https://www.magpul.com/firearms-acce.../pmags/see-all

Promags on the other hand are pure junk. I won't allow them anywhere near my weapons. I don't even know how promag stays in business.

thats why i asked....

never had a bad Magpul

never really had a good promag

this sounded like something a promag would do.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    thats why i asked....

never had a bad Magpul

never really had a good promag

this sounded like something a promag would do.
    Totally agree with you on both counts. Magpul mags are awesome, and Promags suck.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Were there any marks on the case or bullet from where it got stuck in the chamber? Who's BCG and barrel is it?

Moleman, didn't see anything unusual on the brass or bullet. My plan is to work it over with a chamber brush and then see if I can find any burrs with a Qtip. The PMags are gen2 if that makes a difference. Have 3 of those, and the 4th one is a Tapco that came with the rifle. Never got to try that one. Also agree about the Promags. Had one for one of my guns and it was total crap. Not sure how they stay in business. As for the barrel and bolt, it's whatever Bear Creek uses, this is not a home build.

Roger, how did you go about tuning your plastic mags?
    Last edited by Don in IA; 03-16-2018 at 06:01 AM. Reason: spelling doh!

I agree on the pro mags. Haven't bought any in a long time. Had a couple for a mini 14 that the lips kept spreading out on even if you downloaded them, and a couple of their ss 45 mags. Had one stick in my colt, and another one dropped the floorplate, spring, follower and ammo after the first shot. The last 20 or so AR mags I've bought have been Magpul Pmags and I've been happy with them. Initially I was skeptical because they weren't metal but they've proven me wrong.

If factory IMI ammo is sticking in the chamber I'd try a light polish on the chamber. You're not trying to remove any metal really just remove the rough machine marks or microscopic "hairyness" from machining. You might want to sharpie or dykem a case and chamber it to see if there is any spots that get rubbed off or scratched up a bit.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Moleman, didn't see anything unusual on the brass or bullet. My plan is to work it over with a chamber brush and then see if I can find any burrs with a Qtip. The PMags are gen2 if that makes a difference. Have 3 of those, and the 4th one is a Tapco that came with the rifle. Never got to try that one. Also agree about the Promags. Had one for one of my guns and it was total crap. Not sure how they stay in business. As for the barrel and bolt, it's whatever Bear Creek uses, this is not a home build.
    Roger, how did you go about tuning your plastic mags?
    Wow, the gen2 Pmags are probably the most reliable mags out there. And IMI M193 is good ammo. Chambers but fails to fire? Bolt/Firing pin problem. Failure to extract? Bolt/extractor issue (I always install the BCM upgraded extractor kit in my rifles). Now popping rounds out of mags when it shouldn't would make me look at the lower itself. The ones that do this are usually attributable to bad mags (never seen a bad brand new Gen2 Pmag) or a slightly out of spec lower that allows the mag to lock at an incorrect height (usually too high). If it's out of spec too low you'll encounter problems with lock back on an empty mag.

Get a few dummy rounds and hand cycle it using different mags. Scrubbing the chamber out with a chamber brush chucked on a drill with some break free on it isn't a bad idea. You're not going to hurt the rifle and may clean out some of the leftover manufacturing crud. My Wolf's have to have this done out of the box or they stick.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I worked over the chamber with a brush and didn't find any burrs with a QTip. Oiled up the bolt and put it back together. Probably will be awhile before I try it again but I'll let you know how it goes.

Still to cold to shoot this weekend so the experimenting is at the loading bench. Decided that last box of corrosive ammo wasn't worth the cleaning hassle and pulled the bullets to see how they would shoot out of the Enfield.
    They turned out to be this stuff. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo020.htm So now I have 1000g of unknown powder. I could probably download it 10% and be ok, but it's not worth the risk. I'm going to dump it in the garden and hope for some high power grapes this fall lol!

Also found a box of flood corroded .357 brass that cleaned up ok in the ultrasonic bath, and some 125g HP's to make some full house loads, and a box of .30 Carbine brass and some 110g FMJ's to see if Alliant 2400 will push them to mil-spec 1990 fps.

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

I also picked up a case neck annealer to try to fix that crappy S&B .303 brass. It's been neck sized 5 or 6 times already and the neck tension on the bullets was iffy last time. I've heard M14's can be hard on brass, and plan to shoot the M16 a lot so it will be handy for those also. I doubt I'll live long enough for this to pay for itself but there's always hope lol!

IMG_0801.jpg