Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    That looks good to me.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

so you were bolt actioning it .. but its super accurate.

now an eye question for you: did you get a cataracts removed or did you get a new lens stuck in?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    so you were bolt actioning it .. but its super accurate.

now an eye question for you: did you get a cataracts removed or did you get a new lens stuck in?
    I went with the lens inserts that corrected the focal prescription, astigmatism, and presbyopia. Got the left eye done this morning. It's like starting over with a new pair.
    I'm a cheap bastard, but this didn't seem like a place to save a buck.

its a little off topic to your base thread here.... but tell me more.

how long will this last vs lasiks?

is it affordable for regular people?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    its a little off topic to your base thread here.... but tell me more.

how long will this last vs lasiks?

is it affordable for regular people?
    Hey Sean, bear in mind I'm not an eye doc (but thankfully I have a VERY good one!), here's my take. I was very farsighted. Up until 10yrs ago I could drive without glasses, but got to the point I couldn't read the street signs. Haven't been able to read a book without glasses for 48yrs. until last week. I asked about Lasik years ago and was told it only works for nearsightedness so it was no go for me. Eye doc told me worst case I'd need a light reading prescription and you can get those for $10 at Wallyworld. If he did as good a job picking the replacement lens insert for the left eye yesterday as he did for the right I won't even need those for awhile. Maybe down the road. These insert lens are permanent inside the eye, not going anywhere. As for affordability, my ins. only covered the basic procedure. I upgraded to the best lens inserts offered. Those and the added work involved, along with those damn expensive eye drops, put me out of pocket at $4600 for this project. Will this put me on the peanut butter, frozen pizza diet? Hell no lol! I eat those because I like them! I'm cheap wherever I can be to spend $ where it really counts, like this.

Here's the second part of the first shoot with the new eye last week. After shooting the .22's, I went over to the short line to work on the pistol projects. For the .38 snub, I loaded up some 148g DEWC's over 3g HP38, a light PPC load. Windage was good but still a little high POI. For the min. brass eject project for the .45's I put those 175g SWC's over 4/4.5g of SW-UP, and 7/7.5g of SW-AP(old AA#5). None of the SW-UP ejected, all the SW-AP ejected. The light loads were horrible on target. Only 3/5 of each hit the 8x11 target paper lol! Those light bullets have a narrow driving band and probably need more FPS to stabilize. The 7g load was best. got 10/10 on paper and 4 went in the black. I get some decent rifle groups, but have to be the WORST pistol shot on this forum lol!

IMG_1152.JPG

So I'm thinking about how to lower POI on the snubbie. Looking at my spare part's, how would Bubba do this? Aha! Let's tape that red insert for the HI-VIZ sight I put on the GP100 to the snubbie sight. And bump the load up a 1/2g. If this works a dab of JB-Weld should glue it on.

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG
    Last edited by Don in IA; 08-29-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Rabbit/tree rat season opened today, so I thought I'd go for a walk in the woods to see what's changed in the last 15yrs. First thing I notice is how much more water there is. Flooding has increased a bunch the last 10yrs, and looks like it's washing out the lowlands. This is a 3 mile area of public hunting upstream of my local shooting range. This area was only muddy after a heavy rain bitd. and today had do to some log hopping to get through.

IMG_1162.jpg

500yd further down the trail is a pond. Used to be able to easily walk around it. Got to the south end and ran into this. Even the deer are avoiding it now. No game trail to be found.

IMG_1159.jpg

So I backtrack to the north end of the pond. Or what used to be the north end lol! Water everywhere! Looks like the floods are carving this into an ox-bow. Mother Nature must never take a nap. This is a good 50yd past where the end of the pond used to be and no easy crossing in sight. Amazing how things change.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

In a way, I'm glad I didn't see any rabbits/ tree rats. They'd have laughed seeing I was just packing the single six and knowing I can't hit squat with a pistol. I did manage to fill my garbage bag, which unfortunately was a given. It was good to see the pond was still healthy. Next to some fresh Mussel shells the coons scooped out, I picked up a Mepps bucktail spinner package so somebody must be getting some fish out of it.

IMG_1163.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 11-16-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Interesting day at the range. I think the CZ527 is sorted for misfires, so tried an off the wall experiment. Some people say theirs will shoot .308 bullets well. Some say nay. So, how will mine do? Loaded up 3 tests. Since I have another .310/.311 bore rifle, the M44, I loaded up 2 for that too since I had some other misc. loads for it to get rid of.

Started with the Mosin. Same load with the Berry 150FP the other rifles like, 16.3g of 2400. This actually looked better than I thought it would. Good enough that I'm using this as the "before" target to compare how stage 2 of the accurizing kit, doing the barrel wrap, does. Guessed right on the sight dope. 200yd sight on the 50yd line.

IMG_1167.jpg

Next was the bulk 147FMJ's over 44.8g of SW Match. Windage went left, and it got weird on rd. 6. Click-nothing. Maybe I do have a bad box of those Unis primers. Stuck the bullet in the throat but didn't light the powder. What a mess, and I'm still getting cosmoline out of the mag well. Not enough accuracy to try this again. Then I tried those 165 FP cast bullets in a pop can load. No joy there.

IMG_1165.jpg

OK, on to the CZ. Started with a pop can load. Berry 110RN over 5.9g of SW-UP. POA was between the eyes. 4 cut a hole there, but rest drifted and 3 went way high. No surprise, that short bullet had a long jump thru the throat.

IMG_1168.jpg

Next was the Speer 125TNT over 23.8g of SW-BO (old AA1680). Not good enough for a target/varmint gun. What surprised me was the next load. The bulk 147FMJ's over 19.9g of SW-BO outshot the TNT's. This looks like a coin toss to me. Would you work with this load some more?

IMG_1166.jpg

Finally, an update from Bubba's work bench. The last time I shot Dad's Rem. 514 it was still having trouble extracting shells, so I got some new parts. Gunparts says some fitting required. Yep, they weren't kidding lol! The plunger was 2/3rd's longer and had to be cut, and now I have to get the needle files out for some rim clearance behind the extractor claw.

IMG_1164.jpg

Senior Veteran
    That first Mosin target is outstanding! Good shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    That first Mosin target is outstanding! Good shooting.
    Hey Scott. That really surprised me. It shoots those .308 Berry bullets way better than the Mo. Cast 167FP's sized .3115" I've never slugged that barrel but maybe I should. It might be on the tight side like the Finn barrels.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Hey Scott. That really surprised me. It shoots those .308 Berry bullets way better than the Mo. Cast 167FP's sized .3115" I've never slugged that barrel but maybe I should. It might be on the tight side like the Finn barrels.
    Could be. Regardless, you should stay with those bullets.