Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

very much like your "minute of clay pigeon" for 50yds.... that sounds like a good real target type of shooting at that distance for us non experts.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    very much like your "minute of clay pigeon" for 50yds.... that sounds like a good real target type of shooting at that distance for us non experts.
    Yes, I like that as well. I am fine with a rifle that will consistently take out a clay pigeon at 50 yards. I was doing it this morning with my 03A3.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Yes, I like that as well. I am fine with a rifle that will consistently take out a clay pigeon at 50 yards. I was doing it this morning with my 03A3.
    Yep, that should be good enough to take out any Zombies or groundhogs.

Got the rifles cleaned and a little bench work done this morning. Got the HI-VIZ sight glued on the .38. Result, or train wreck lol? Either way, I'm having fun and learning stuff! That's always a win. Time to go get some 148g WC's loaded to try this out, and to test in the M92.

IMG_1179.jpg

Joe, that little KZ200 passed the 100 mile road test with flying colors. Cruises the back roads at 60mph just fine. Last job was the front end. Got the head bearings greased, which required a new upper bearing race, and replacing the 2 missing balls. Also got new fork seals/oil. There was no oil left in them; was like riding a pogo stick lol!

IMG_1158.JPG

Senior Veteran
    So I needed to see if the extractor on Dad's .22 is fixed, so another walk in the woods was called for. I didn't get to the south side of the pond last time so headed in from the northwest side today. It starts here. The county parks used to plant corn here and leave it in all winter for the game. Got a few pheasants out of it bitd. No corn today, and the jeep trail runs along the left treeline. If I walked the trail 3mi. south I'd be at my local shooting range.

IMG_1180.JPG

Getting into the woods at the end of the field, the trail is holding up. Just after this pic, an older gent rides up on his bicycle. We chat a few and I amble on.

IMG_1181.JPG

Another 50yds I pass a puddle and 5 Mallards take off. That's more game than I saw last time, which was none lol! I was too slow with the camera to catch them.

IMG_1182.JPG

A little further on, a hen turkey pops out on the trail and runs in front of me. A little more further a tree rat crosses the trail right in front of me. I give chase but it stays down in the brush and gone. Lucky bastard! Me, not the rat, for not having to deal with the assured anguish of another miss lol! A little further, and this is the view from the southwest side of the pond.

IMG_1183.JPG

This is the other side of trail where that pond drains out the culvert and starts Snag Creek. Time to test the extractor. I put 3 rounds into the base of the dead tree overhanging the water. First 2 I had to go back in with the bolt a second time to get the brass out. 3rd came out first try. Not 100% yet, but didn't have to use a fingernail to get one out. Getting close, and I see why Bubba makes the big bucks. Fiddly work these extractors. Had a good soundtrack while doing this. I'd forgotten the crack a .22 makes shooting over open water. The bonus was the local drag strip is behind me and they're running today. Love the sound of horsepower.
    Amazing how relaxing a 4mi amble thru the woods can be. All was right with the world except the skeeters were bad. Just doesn't "feel" like hunting season until it cools off a little more and the first freeze gets the bugs gone.

IMG_1184.JPG

Senior Veteran
    Beautiful area to be walking in. I would be out there all the time. Thanks for the pics.

was looking thru your pix/post... thinking man i hope he had some DEET on ! LOL

just part of life in the woods!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Beautiful area to be walking in. I would be out there all the time. Thanks for the pics.
    It is nice out there. I'm fortunate to still have public hunting ground this close. Next time I'll wander thru the public land directly west of this across the river.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    was looking thru your pix/post... thinking man i hope he had some DEET on ! LOL

just part of life in the woods!
    Yep, started with a sweatshirt on. Got warm, took it off, and them skeeters zoned right in lol! Need a frost to kill them off.

Got some work done with the .30 Carbine this morning. Backed the SW-HP/Berry plated 110g loads down to 8.1/8.5g. Conditions were sub optimal as in windy today. Had to flip the target backer over for more stability so the targets were shot upside down. The 8.1g shot well enough that if it shoots the same next time I'm calling it good. Got 7/10 in the black with 1 of them getting hung up on the feed ramp. I think that could be a weak mag spring. All 3 of my USGI mags have weak springs, so I have 2 new mags on the way. The 8.5g load opened up some, and the pop can loads shot no better/worse than they always do.

IMG_1186.jpg

Then I tried out the glued on front sight on the .38. It stayed on and had a good sight picture. Shot a little low/left with 148g DEWC's over 3.5g of HP38 and 3.5g of SW-UP. I'm going down to 3g of each powder for the next try.

Senior Veteran
    Another nice day at the range. I started with the 03A3. The Berry 150FP's shot good like they always do, but was surprised when my 23/rd. M2 ball load of those cheap 147FMJ's shot even better. I'm calling that load sorted and ready for the 100yd. line. Then I grabbed the .30 Carbine to try the new mags with the Berry 110g/ SW-HP 8g load.
    Had 1 FTF which won't do. Need 100%, so I'm going back up to between 9 &10g of powder. 2 thumbs up for those Korean 15rd. mags. They work as good as the 30 rounders. By this time my buddy Ross shows up to try out his Savage Enfield for the first time. He was shooting some of that Pakistani POF ammo. Steer clear of that crap! 5 hang fires in 10 rounds. Scary! Then I had another piece of new gear to try. Jealous of you guys that have steel gongs to shoot at, I grabbed an 8" plastic one to see how long it would last. Looks like it will take some abuse. Ross put the Enfield away and grabbed his AR. The tiny black dots are 55FMJ's at 50yds. Zipped right thru with the gong barely moving. I bang away at it with the Rossi M92 and light 125g RNFP target loads. It went THWAP and wobbled pretty good when those hit lol!

IMG_1187.jpg

Senior Veteran
    That M2 ball load for the 03A3 looks good to go! I would stick with that.

Senior Veteran
    That M2 ball load for the 03A3 looks good to go! I would stick with that.
    Hey Scott. With a little heat and fouling, that 2nd group tightened up. I've been getting a few wins lately lol!

Today's experiment is trying to find a heavier bullet that will shoot in the sub optimal Enfield barrel. I can't find any ready made for the $ I want to spend, and I'm not ready to get into casting, so I'll try a different angle. Bought a box of 170g .32-40 bullets sized .321, and a Lee .314 sizing die. I can get it to shoot the 118g .32-20 .314 bullets ok at 50yd, but the wind will be a problem at 100/200yd. I lubed the first 3 with case sizing lube, and the rest went thru the die with no more force than it takes to full length size the .223 cases I was doing waiting for the brown truck. A dummy round at 2.75" just kisses the lands. Swaging down that .007" made the bullet oal .02" longer. I'm starting with 7/8g of HP38 that I shoot the 118g's with, and if that works will go as fast with 2400 and SW-BR that accuracy and barrel leading will allow.

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg