Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

DOn,

just checking in to see how the shooting was going.

Scott: wadcutters=== they cut thru "wads" of paper. LOL couldnt pass that one up.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    Scott: wadcutters=== they cut thru "wads" of paper. LOL couldnt pass that one up.
    LOL! Yes, exactly as the name applies!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

DOn,

just checking in to see how the shooting was going.

Hey Sean, nice of you to stop by. Shooting is as usual, some days better than others. Having fun no matter what the targets look like!
    Take today for example. Didn't shoot the M92 last time out because the rifle range was full, so I got on with "Carbine Day". Rounded up the usual suspects.

IMG_1297.jpg

Started with the M1. Giving those new SNS coated bullets the first try. The 90g SWC's resized for the TOK I shot against my 115g LRN pop can loads. Both over 4.4g HP38. The 115g RN against the Berry 110g RN's, both over 9.8g of SW-HP. I'd say the SNS bullets won both. Not sure what happened with the Berry loads today, they usually do better. If the SNS continue to do this well, they're cheaper and will improve the bottom line on the ammo budget.

IMG_1299.jpg

Then I got the M92 and Mak out. Put 5 on paper to see where they were hitting. Mak ok, the red dot on the M92 needed a 2" shift right.
    Then I stapled a dirty bird target to the plastic gong for each. Shot the Mak prone with the bipod first, switched targets, and sat on the same chunk of ground for the M92. Real happy that M92 is breaking in. The mag and loading door springs are loosening up so loading was a breeze today. All rifles ran 100% today, but bear in mind the light M1 loads turn it into a single shot on purpose.

For pistol practice I shot the rest of the box of those Rainier plated 185 TC's thru the .45 Commander. Wasn't happy with the way it shot a couple days ago, but while this looks like a bad day for those of you good with a 1911, this is a "good" day for me. Standing at the 15yd line with a 2 hand hold which is how I always shoot the short guns.

IMG_1298.jpg

From the "Weird stuff you see at the range" dept., a couple young guys show up at the rifle line. The first thing they pull out is a flair gun. WTF?! Turned out to be one of these. https://www.keepshooting.com/polish-...un-26-5mm.html
    Aims it at the berm and "BOOM". I had to stop to see what was what. He had one of those chamber inserts in it, like the Tok in Mosin, and 9mm in my 20 ga. I've been playing with, to shoot .45 Long Colt! Then he pulls out one of those mile long Mosin's, sticks the mile long pig sticker on it, and shoots a couple boxes of ammo thru it. Too cool!
    Last edited by Don in IA; 06-19-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Don,

your shooting is always pretty good to excellent. You only had that 1 target in that 1 post that looks like something most of us shoot on a trip.

with that said: if you are hitting the target at 45' with a 45acp & thats a standard size target? there's nothing wrong with it. if thats a man at that distance? hes DEAD.

braggin rights vs functional shooting. always see the positive!

Don,

your shooting is always pretty good to excellent. You only had that 1 target in that 1 post that looks like something most of us shoot on a trip.

with that said: if you are hitting the target at 45' with a 45acp & thats a standard size target? there's nothing wrong with it. if thats a man at that distance? hes DEAD.

braggin rights vs functional shooting. always see the positive!
    Maybe I'm being a little hard on myself on pistol shooting, but looking at Scott's targets makes me jealous. I have plenty of room for improvement.

I'm sure a few of you have a "wasn't looking for this, it found me" gun story, and ran into one today. Got an email from a gal who played softball with Mom. I was jr high then and we talked about our hunting on occasion, and she showed it to me after a game once. She's done chasing pheasants so I brought it home. Ithaca 37 featherlight 20ga, 2 3/4, mod choke. Didn't really need another shotgun, but she always kept her stuff in tip top shape. No exception here, haven't even wiped it off yet. Couldn't find a speck of rust on it. Action is way slicker than my 870. Feels lighter too.

IMG_1300.jpg
    Last edited by Don in IA; 06-24-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Senior Veteran
    Thanks Don!

That's a nice Ithaca 37. Looks to be very well kept.

I have a few "wasn't looking for this, it found me" stories. I just add them to the safes and hope the next caretaker appreciates them.

yeah got they found me's here too....

wife asked me the other day when was i gonna start thinning the herd. she said she would have no clue what to do with them if i kicked over. sigh unfortunately we cant take em with us.

Senior Veteran
    I think I'm going to take one with me. I might need it where I will probably end up. Lol!

The range is finally open after another flood delay, so got the Holiday shoot done this morning. Hot, humid, sunny, typical IA summer day.
    Moving slow, and lots of target changing so using the 50yd line.

Started with the M1. Shot the rest of the H335/147 FMJ ladder load I used for the M14. 38/41g. Looks like 39g won today. Looks as good as the M14 did with a 9x scope advantage. The next experiment was with the Berry 150FP/16g 2400 load. General rule is you have to full length size for a semi auto. These rounds won't work the action anyway, so I tried just neck sizing like I do for the bolt guns. I shot everything today out of a single shot SLED clip, and these neck sized rounds fed fine. I'll dedicate this box of brass to this load. Be interesting to see how long the brass lasts. I'll bet they go until the primer pockets give out.

Then I grabbed the M14. Shooting the range fodder 40g H335/147 Fmj's. No clue what happened in group 3. Group 4 came back in ok. Shot these 4 groups quick as I wanted to see how they would shift as it heated up. Then I shot a group of the light Berry load to compare to the M1. Looks about the same. The Berry load is much slower and shot about 4" lower in both rifles. Can't see the first M1 shot in the pic, I added in 15 clicks for the rest.

Pistol practice was a bust today. Had the GP100, but the short line was full. Range actually opened 2 days ago. Didn't have much time then but got rid of a bunch of that Rem. crap thru the .22 Victory, then got rid of the all the Tok/.30 Carbine bullet loads I had left. Typical Tok shooting. Plenty of "social distancing" but laughing too hard to care!

IMG_1301.jpg