Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

As far as 54r loads for your mosin, I load 174gr Sierra Match Kings (.312 diameter) over 44gr of Varget and use CCI#43 primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    No experiments today, just sighting in the Carbine and a little pistol practice with the autos.
    I flipped the scope mount front to back to see if it made any difference. That scope has very short eye relief, and it did feel a little more comfy set back a little further. I was shooting the lead pop can loads today. 110g RN over 4.4g of HP38. What surprised me was the 6/7 stovepipes, and for the first time with this batch 1 actually got all the way out on it's own lol!

im not a reloader... so got no clue there...

were you getting any scope hits on ejection with where its sitting now?
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    im not a reloader... so got no clue there...

were you getting any scope hits on ejection with where its sitting now?
    Not sure if the 1 that got out hit the scope. These are loaded to "not" eject so I don't have to chase brass. I found it in front of the bench and it wasn't dinged on the mouth.
    I have a box of full power 110 FMJ's ready to go but will shoot them when a buddy is there to spot where they're going.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    As far as 54r loads for your mosin, I load 174gr Sierra Match Kings (.312 diameter) over 44gr of Varget and use CCI#43 primers.
    My M44 kicks like a mule with full power loads. I'm more interested in shooting lighter cast bullets in it. I picked up a box of these to try in the M44 and Enfield. Will start at 16gr. of 2400 and go from there.
    http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...6&secondary=36

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    My M44 kicks like a mule with full power loads. I'm more interested in shooting lighter cast bullets in it. I picked up a box of these to try in the M44 and Enfield. Will start at 16gr. of 2400 and go from there.
    http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...6&secondary=36
    It's not just your M44 that kicks like a mule,they all do. I have two of them, I know, what was I thinking, twice the punishment right. I shot surplus light ball in mine and just clean the heck out of it. The 174gr Sierras that I load and any heavy ball surplus I save for the 91-30s that are a little more forgiving.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    It's not just your M44 that kicks like a mule,they all do. I have two of them, I know, what was I thinking, twice the punishment right. I shot surplus light ball in mine and just clean the heck out of it. The 174gr Sierras that I load and any heavy ball surplus I save for the 91-30s that are a little more forgiving.
    Have you done anything to the triggers on your M44's? Mine has the worst trigger I've ever laid a finger on. I put that flat washer/ return spring kit on mine and it still sucks. Any ideas short of that Timmney unit? Mine is one of those unissued Polish guns and carving the stock for the safety lever won't happen while I own it.

Senior Veteran
    One more quick question. Who runs this forum? Made a few posts tonight and at 100 I gained a stripe. I'd rather be busted back to Cpl.

Ya know, back in the day I paid like $79.00 for the ones I bought. I just never thought about doing anything more to them. They do have a strong trigger but I never tried to work on it. My grandmas saying about you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear comes to mind.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Nothing earth shattering today, just the field expedient Velcro fix on the brass catcher for the M16. Chucked it up in the vise and bent the support wires to conform to the hand guard and stuck it on. No sliding around now. I also picked up one of those plastic bipods. Be interesting to see how long that lasts. Went with the plastic over the USGI stamped sheet metal unit to avoid gouging the FSB. Rubbing a little Parkerizing off I'm ok with. Also got the practice ammo ladder loads done. 55g. FMJ's over 23-25gns. H335 in .4gn. increments. Hopefully there will be a stand out group in there somewhere.
    Also, to commemorate D-Day I finally got over my aversion to 8 round en-bloc clips and ordered a new M1 this morning. Is any US rifle group complete without a Garand? It was nagging me so I fixed that. I'm a shooter, not a collector so the purists will probably disapprove of it being .308 to go with the M14 and Mauser I'm already set up to reload for.

IMG_0863.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Which Garand did you order? CMP?
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer