Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Being disappointed with the M16, it's time to eliminate a few variables. After running a few patches thru the bore, I futzed with the cheek riser. I finally got where it doesn't hit my shoulder, and the charging handle will get the bolt back far enough to lock. What a PITA lol! Then I found I had 1 rifle case big enough to transport it with the scope mounted, so I cinched the mount nut down good and tight. Maybe the scope was squirming around. To check the ammo, I'll make sure I take the Ruger along next time and run it thru both. Maybe trying to turn a $600 sows ear AR into a silk purse target rifle isn't the smartest thing I've ever done lol! Without projects like this I get bored, and if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

IMG_0892.jpg

Then I got the MAK out to clean and saw this. Oh well, the stock was already f'd when the sling swivel fell out. I'm a glass is half full guy so now I have no qualms about getting out the dremel and doing a little contour work on the thumbhole for a better fit. It's just a little wide for my small hands. My advice to the Chinese; plant some more damn walnut trees lol!

IMG_0893.jpg

Senior Veteran
    That sucks with the chip on the MAK stock.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    That sucks with the chip on the MAK stock.
    I hear you. Now I'll be guilt free when carving on it lol! I'd really like to put new Timberline pistol grip furniture on it but not sure how the 922r game is played.
    I usually reserve weekends for the bikes. I put new rubber on Mark's (my buddy with the 03 Rock Island) Kaw Connie, and we had to go scrub those tires in. So we buzzed down to Brownell's. Some of you probably have bought stuff from them. They seriously have anything you could want for shooting sports. I checked out those retro M16's, which I didn't think were anything special, handled a Springfield M1A SOCOM shorty which looked like way too much fun, and looked thru $2000 glass for the first time. Nightforce and Swarovski make some nice scopes. If you ever see one of those on my rifle I won the lottery lol!
    Mark grabbed a spring kit and firing pin for his 1911, and I grabbed a brick of .22 for my upcoming .22/chrony experiment. Then when I got home I loaded 20 rds. of 7.62x54R for the upcoming bolt gun shoot-out. Then went to Mom's for my birthday pizza! A whole 56 this year. Getting old sucks but beats the alternative lol!

IMG_0894.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Sounds like a very busy but fun day!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer