Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: And today's experiment is.......

Senior Veteran
    Being disappointed with the M16, it's time to eliminate a few variables. After running a few patches thru the bore, I futzed with the cheek riser. I finally got where it doesn't hit my shoulder, and the charging handle will get the bolt back far enough to lock. What a PITA lol! Then I found I had 1 rifle case big enough to transport it with the scope mounted, so I cinched the mount nut down good and tight. Maybe the scope was squirming around. To check the ammo, I'll make sure I take the Ruger along next time and run it thru both. Maybe trying to turn a $600 sows ear AR into a silk purse target rifle isn't the smartest thing I've ever done lol! Without projects like this I get bored, and if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

IMG_0892.jpg

Then I got the MAK out to clean and saw this. Oh well, the stock was already f'd when the sling swivel fell out. I'm a glass is half full guy so now I have no qualms about getting out the dremel and doing a little contour work on the thumbhole for a better fit. It's just a little wide for my small hands. My advice to the Chinese; plant some more damn walnut trees lol!

IMG_0893.jpg

Senior Veteran
    That sucks with the chip on the MAK stock.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    That sucks with the chip on the MAK stock.
    I hear you. Now I'll be guilt free when carving on it lol! I'd really like to put new Timberline pistol grip furniture on it but not sure how the 922r game is played.
    I usually reserve weekends for the bikes. I put new rubber on Mark's (my buddy with the 03 Rock Island) Kaw Connie, and we had to go scrub those tires in. So we buzzed down to Brownell's. Some of you probably have bought stuff from them. They seriously have anything you could want for shooting sports. I checked out those retro M16's, which I didn't think were anything special, handled a Springfield M1A SOCOM shorty which looked like way too much fun, and looked thru $2000 glass for the first time. Nightforce and Swarovski make some nice scopes. If you ever see one of those on my rifle I won the lottery lol!
    Mark grabbed a spring kit and firing pin for his 1911, and I grabbed a brick of .22 for my upcoming .22/chrony experiment. Then when I got home I loaded 20 rds. of 7.62x54R for the upcoming bolt gun shoot-out. Then went to Mom's for my birthday pizza! A whole 56 this year. Getting old sucks but beats the alternative lol!

IMG_0894.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Sounds like a very busy but fun day!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Sounds like a very busy but fun day!
    That it was! Even got a couple of the little 2strokes out for a few miles. Rode the scooter munching AR80 over to Mom's.

IMG_0629.jpg

Haven't got to the range lately, but off work Friday so should get the bolt gun shootout done. Got all the loading done last weekend.

IMG_0896.jpg

Also got a little shopping done. All the extra stuff for the Garand is here. I also grabbed 2 more of those $20 M14 fiberglass stocks because I want one in OD green. Both came with slings this time, and both way better shape than the last one I got. One is as new with a little rust on the front sling swivel. I took the best buttplate assy. and removed the flip-up outer steel piece. That took off almost 5oz. of weight.

IMG_0895.jpg

its good that you stay busy!

busy is good!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Nice assortment of accessories you have there!

What is the 2 pocket pouch? A grenade pouch? Does it hold 2 clips per pocket for a total of 4 clips per pouch?

Garand pouch.jpg

Senior Veteran
    [QUOTE=scottz63;367825]Nice assortment of accessories you have there!

What is the 2 pocket pouch? A grenade pouch? Does it hold 2 clips per pocket for a total of 4 clips per pouch?

I'm guessing a WWII issue pouch. Holds 1 clip/pouch and looks to be able to carry a grenade on both sides. I needed to spend that much more for free shipping so it was basically a freebie lol! Has alice clips to attach to my bug out gear. The 6 clip bandoleer was the one I needed as I'm using the Garand to represent the Korean War in my US rifle group. I have a .30 Carbine and Enfield to represent WWII. The bayonet is a cut down Korean issue, and all my rifles get the cleaning kit and tools.

Senior Veteran
    Nice, I like to have all of the accessories as well.

Senior Veteran
    All plans are subject to change. Now I have to work Friday so it was off to the range this morning for the bolt gun shootout.

First off an "alternate" history intro to try to get these 3 on the same field of battle. I work on Dr. Who's bike so I get the keys to the Tardis every now and then.
    The date is 10 Feb 1943. Krasny Bor, south of Leningrad. There's the Brit military observer, Sgt. Guiness, talking to Gunny Popov.
    "So Popov, are your troops ready for todays action? Those Nazi's are dug in good."
    "Da, we are ready. Nyet on the Nazi's. See that sleeping sentry's rifle? Not a K98. That's one of Franco's old Mausers. That's the Blue Division, the Spaniards."
    "Hmm, I wonder how that rifle compares to ours?"
    "Da, me too. I'll grab it and we find out."
    As it turned out, the Spaniards took 70% casualties against overwhelming odds, but held their ground and the siege of Leningrad went on for almost another year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Krasny_Bor

Enough history, on to the range. It was a win, lose, draw day.
    First the Enfield. Best iron sights, slick action, creepy trigger with a not quite sharp enough break. The 167FP's feed out of the mag fine. The 118FP's are a little short but feed if I rack it slow. I shot up the rest of the 15yr old 118's to make some brass available for more of the 167 higher power loads. They shot ok for what they are, sub sonic rabbit rollers lol! Then I get to the 167's and it takes 4 shots to get a hole in the cardboard. Had the rear sight on 500yd for the 118's, but had to bottom it out at 200yd. What was weird is POI shifted about 11" right on windage. Shot 1 was a 6 O'clock hold at 200 elevation, 2 was a 6 O'clock hold on the left edge of the target to confirm it was really shooting that far right. Yup it was. 3 was a 6 O'clock hold back on the black bull with the ladder sight folded down using the battle peep sight. I didn't have anything to drift the front sight so it was done for the day. I need to scribe a witness mark on the front sight and have an adjuster for next time out. A draw for the Enfield.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Next up was the Spanish Mauser. Action as slick as the Enfield's. Wonderful trigger, a little take up and nice crisp break. The 150FP's feed fine out of the mag. I put up a M16 target and send one down. In the black first shot, cool! Send 4 more and happy with the group, so better shoot 1 more group to make sure. The second group tightened up another half inch with some bore fouling. Totally pleased with the load. First try and it's ready for the 100/200yd lines. Total win for the Mauser today and took all of 10 minutes lol! This rifle is getting under my skin like my .30 Carbine. Easily my favorite bolt gun.
    Then the Mosin. Total crap trigger. Action is slick enough for what is basically a brand new rifle, but it's heavy with that short handle. Fed the 167FP's out of the mag fine. The shooting, and I use that term very loosely, was horrible. Shot this way last time too. I'm all but certain those heavy Prvi loads have blown the guts out of the POS AIM scope that's on it. I have a NcStar scope coming for it like the one on the Mauser. Maybe I'm just pissed off with the way it scattered bullets worse than my shotgun today, but the more I shoot this the more I wonder what people see in these. Total fail for the Mosin today.

IMG_0898.jpg