Thread: A Year Without Ammo Resupply

A Year Without Ammo Resupply

I am not worried about dealing with an "Zombie Eclipse", nor charging hoards of looters willing to die in droves trying to get my last can of SpaghettiO's,
    so lets not go there.

On the other hand we have seen panics with ammo shortages and natural and/or man caused disasters, both minor and major can not be ruled out.
    Some of the calibers I use are hard to get locally and we have seen ammo shortages in the past. So need to think about that.

To me reloading is not an answer as I have seen re-loaders complaining they could not get brass, powder, primers, bullets, during shortages.

IMHO the total amount (stash) someone has is meaningless without knowing what firearms they have. For example a person with a bolt action
    hunting rifle and 12 gauge shotgun with a few boxes of ammo for both may be good to go for years shooting a few practice rounds off and on, some
    hunting and self defense needs. On the other hand a person with a larger number of firearms, including semi-autos, shotguns, pistols, etc,
    would likely want more than a few boxes of ammo on hand. Number of firearms, types of firearms divided by the number of rounds thing.

So, lets say for sake of argument for a year you could not get any more ammo. What amount of ammo would you want on hand during that time
    for the following types??:

1. Semi-auto rifle such as AR?
    2. Bolt action/semi-auto hunting type rifles you would likely have a need to use.
    3. C&Rs collectables such as Mosins, K98s, K-31s, and so on?
    4. Belt fed firearms?
    5. Full autos (if you have them)?
    6. Shotguns?
    7. PC carry (self defense) hand gun?
    8. All other handguns you have "just because you can"?
    10. Oh yea, .22 l.r. firearms of all of types.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    General rule of thumb I use for everything is a full load for the barrel wear per firearm.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I'm still shooting ammo I bought in the late 1990s. I'll manage.

Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787

BS,

the difference is between shooting for fun & "other times" as you mentioned..

you have the: what i stockpiled as a retirement booster when they do finally get the ammo bans passed. thats on pallets & thats all im gonna say about amounts in that category.

then you have your play/fun ammo that we still shoot up. on fun days ? we used to go thru several thousand easy. beltfeds & FA's just eat the stuff up.

hunting seasons never use more than a standard box of 20 or so.

pistol sessions box of 50 is usually enough, unless its a FA pistol.

so for me personally.. as a stash? think you should have at least 2,000 of every caliber you have in the "never to be shot" storage area. (1,2,3,6,7,8,10)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    BS,

the difference is between shooting for fun & "other times" as you mentioned..

you have the: what i stockpiled as a retirement booster when they do finally get the ammo bans passed. thats on pallets & thats all im gonna say about amounts in that category.

then you have your play/fun ammo that we still shoot up. on fun days ? we used to go thru several thousand easy. beltfeds & FA's just eat the stuff up.

hunting seasons never use more than a standard box of 20 or so.

pistol sessions box of 50 is usually enough, unless its a FA pistol.

so for me personally.. as a stash? think you should have at least 2,000 of every caliber you have in the "never to be shot" storage area. (1,2,3,6,7,8,10)
    Yea, I am with you on most of this. I have the crates I have never opened and bought heavy when it was cheap. I think my question is not so much for us
    old timers, but the newer. often younger, folks picking up some guns for the first time. The one that says he shot up all his ammo last trip to the range
    and needs to pickup some more one of these quick days. A gun without ammo, is like a car/truck without gas, not worth a whole lot if you really need it.

2,000 would get anyone by for a year, might cut back on some fun shooting (LOL), but would get one by. On the other hand 2,000 does not sound
    like a lot if you have belt feds or say 40 guns using 7.62X54R, or 40 guns using 30-06, then it is 50rds per gun (LOL). Still if there was a ammo crunch I
    would park most of my guns and just keep proficient on a handful I would normally use anyway.

I usually keep 100-200 rds on hand for my varmint rifle, a good 100 ea for my hunting rifles, about the same for shotguns. Not a big pistol shooter, but
    make sure I have a couple full boxes of ammo for each type. If I run out good ammo for the 9mm and .45 cal types can use ball ammo I use for F/As in a pinch.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-21-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I keep at least 1000 rounds of every caliber I shoot not every firearm I have. I probably have my 9mm as that is the most common that I shoot for target/fun time but what I have would last a couple of years of typical shooting.

Airmedic6