Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Top Off Your Mags or Underload Them?

Do You Top Off Your Mags or Underload Them?

Heard the old weaken spring thing on storing fully loaded mags, also supposedly some mags will feed more reliably under loaded. Not sure if that
    is a carry over from old times, when spring metal, or mags, might not have been as good?

Anyway, most of us have a few mags pistol or rifle we likely leave loaded. I sometime will short a mag a couple of rds for storage, but
    mostly just fill them up to capacity. Some sit loaded as long as a year. So far no problems. Saying that I do not keep large numbers
    of loaded mags, just a couple for my 1911 and a couple for some long guns.

Fixing to go out and load a couple of mags for my Uzi's and was thinking about this. Any thoughts on this?
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I only keep an AK and a Beretta 92F ready to go. The Beretta has 7 rounds in the mag and the AK has 14. So, just under half for both. No problems with weak springs after many years.

my carry gun is fully loaded.. my house shotty's are too..

most of my ak's have 25 in them. Ohio had that law where you couldnt have more than 29 for so long that i never bothered to change any of them.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Buck For me MAS 49/56 8 rds The M1 carbine 12/14 rds Why push it?
    FAL CETME 10 to 18. I just feel that they all will feed a little easier below the maximum
    The Garand is the obvious exception
    03 all five
    The Krag fill it up to the top and with that magazine cut off you can even put one in while it's loaded
    Gee them Army Ordnance guys are swell
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Max them out. They are designed for it..........
    I have my Beretta pistol ready with 2 fully loaded mags to start with.
    AND My AK pistol with several fully loaded mags to finish it, if needed.

Every 5 years or so I empty them, one shot at a time.
    and then reload them.

Never had a problem with any of them.
    Last edited by Planning; 04-14-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    31B

Military and commercial are a world apart. My military have been stuffed forever and never failed to deliver....Not so much with some of the aftermarket ones.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Using my handy dandy loader I put 32 rds in the Uzi mags. Before I got that it was a struggle (hard on the thumb) to get the last few rds in.
    I have 8rd mags for 1911 and keep them fully loaded (8 +1) in the gun itself. My Mossberg 590 I keep around 4-5 shells in the tube and
    enough shells by it to go 9 (8 +1) if needed. The rifle I use the most, my old, but very accurate .222 Savage varmint rifle I only keep
    3-4 rds in the mag. I tend to believe PMags and most military grade mags can take a full load for an extended period of time without
    any issues with the springs.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran

Time spent compressed is not what causes spring failure - its number of cycles as the movement eventually leads to fatigue cracking.

I think the not leaving mags loaded chestnut probably came from cheap commercial mags having springs fail due to being too soft or otherwise not spec'd correctly. Springs that are over tempered (soft) or that get compressed beyond their available range will deform plastically and retain some of their compressed shape. But that happens on the first compression/extension, not over time. It would probably get worse with each cycle, depending on the cause, which I could see being misinterpreted as failure due to leaving the mag loaded. The legend could also have come from people trying to fix feed problem mags by removing a few coils and then pulling the spring back to the right length - that is a really easy way to end up with an over compressed spring.

I usually load my practice mags at 5-10 rounds, as I find I shoot better with some interruption in the routine. Something about concentration I think.
    Carry mags are the factory ones that came with the gun and stay fully loaded all the time. The CETME is my only milsurp that uses magazines for loading, I don't worry at all about keeping some of those fully loaded indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    Military and commercial are a world apart. My military have been stuffed forever and never failed to deliver.
    I have to agree with you 100 percent there. I have a lot of 20 round M16 mags that are older then a lot of members here that have been loaded and fired more times then "there are stars in the sky", and none of them failed to function in my AR. now, I wouldn't trust any commercially made AR mags to stand up to that.

I can say the same for my AK mags, G3, CETME, PPS43, the old 1970s vintage straight MP5 mags. and all my combloc pistol mags, never had any issues with the mags failing.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Time spent compressed is not what causes spring failure - its number of cycles as the movement eventually leads to fatigue cracking.
    I agree completely with this. I did a lot of research (reading about it from many different sources) on this subject a couple of years ago and came up with the same conclusion.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer