Thread: Took the Taurus plunge again after 20 years

Senior Veteran

Took the Taurus plunge again after 20 years

I broke down and ordered one of the new TH9s for $300 delivered after reading and watching a few reviews. My last Taurus was a PT-92, not a bad pistol but not great either. Given Taurus reputation and the massive recall I'll probably kick myself in the butt for this one.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I always thought the PT92 was cool, especially the stainless steel version. But a salesman talked a much younger me out of buying one with tales of slide and frame galling. I don't know about the other one. I'll have to look it up. Tell us how you like it when you get it.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

its a good looking gun.

kinda looks like a tad bigger version of a walther p22..... fill us in when you shoot it.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    That is a pretty good looking gun.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Senior Veteran
    Picked it up this afternoon, will hit the backyard with it tomorrow. After looking it over the Glock/Beretta influences are apparent. Realizing two things (1. It's a Taurus and 2. I paid $300 for it) here are my impressions out of the box:

Pros:
    The grip is comfortable, this is actually the first poly pistol I have liked the grip on. Haven't played around with the thin and fat backstraps but I don't think I'll need to.
    The texturing is aggressive but not abrasive.
    The slide requires no unusual effort to cycle. It's actually really nice and smooth (once I wiped the rails down).
    Its fit & finish are good with one exception, the mag release (see below).
    The trigger is actually good. I'm giddy that a $300 Taurus has a trigger this nice. Probably the closest similarity I could draw to this trigger would be a new Beretta M9 with less slack.
    It's a hammer fired full size SA/DA with a rail, frame mounted safety/decocker for under $300.
    The mags are Mec-Gars. Never had a problem with their mags.

Cons:
    The thing is dirty as heck. I mean dirt. Not powder residue, but it looks like after they got through test firing someone took it to the beach. It's obvious Brazilians still don't know how to clean pistols.
    The "ambi" magazine release is horribly sticky out of the box. I've been inserting and releasing mags to help it break in but as of now it works fine from the right side. The left side? Not so much. I may actually disassemble it and see if I can find any dirt hiding in there (I'm willing to bet this pistol went to Carnival and woke up drunk and naked on the beach).
    The guide rod is plastic. Plastic. Not even aluminum, and looking at it and the spring setup I know it ain't going to last. I'm currently researching if another model is compatible otherwise I'll either have to wait for aftermarket ones to come out or find a machine shop willing to take on the task.
    The manual is horrible. As in worse than Chinese AK manuals. It's got 10x more warnings than actual useful information and instructions. Obviously made to cover their corporate arses.
    It's a Taurus. That means crappy customer service (Here HK, hold my beer) and hard to find spare mags and parts. I went into this fully knowing that.

With each of those using the realization I was buying a $300 (after shipping) Taurus it's not that bad. This pistol (at least before firing) has potential. Given that it's so new on the market aftermarket parts are non existent, however at the rate they are selling I think (hope like heck) that will change.

Taurus is really a weird company. They have the potential to capture a huge portion of the market with pistols like this but they hobble their products with the above mentioned issues. More to follow after I clean and feed the thing tomorrow.
    Last edited by Arkane; 04-18-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Backyard cycling and accuracy update: Not a problem one with a 50 round box of the cheap Remington UMC 115g FMJ. Sights are on from the factory and at 15 yards consistently able to nail a coke can. Now if it just wasn't a Taurus..LOL.

Senior Veteran
    Is the PT908 the granddad of that pistol? I have one. At least it's all steel with an alloy spring guide rod. Unfortunately, it's still a Taurus lol!

Senior Veteran
    Yeah, it's origin is in the 809 with a quite a few changes, i.e. longer barrel in a shorter slide, they dumped the security lock nonsense, made a few changes to the trigger, reshaped the grip and changed the texturing up. Overall it's shorter and a couple of ounces lighter than the 809. They are also getting cheaper instead of better, the dropped the warranty to one year.

Meh, if it breaks I'll probably break it down into parts and sell 'em on eBay. I'm willing to bet the 17 round mags alone will fetch $50+ a pop. WHat kills me is that this pistol could be so much with just a few minor changes or some aftermarket parts. Knowing Taurus business model it will be another dead end.
    Last edited by Arkane; 04-19-2018 at 09:49 PM.

thanks for the input on it.

did you take that mag release out & make sure it wasnt a junk edge on there? polymer guns always have a bad edge on them somewhere.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    thanks for the input on it.

did you take that mag release out & make sure it wasnt a junk edge on there? polymer guns always have a bad edge on them somewhere.
    I did just that yesterday afternoon. The mag release mechanism is all metal with a pin holding it into the polymer frame. Other than cleaning and lubing it and it's recess with some aeroshell33ms I didn't see any significant rough marks. That being said both before and after the ambi mag release really isn't. It works fine from the right side of the pistol and drops mags free but if you hit it on the left with your thumb it doesn't release and then you have to fiddle with the right side to get it working again.

Why does it do this? Frankly I'm baffled by this one. Looking at the design it should work the same on both sides but for some weird reason it just won't. I just keep reminding my self this is a $300 pistol..LOL