Thread: Can someone tell me about my Mauser??

New Recruit Private

Can someone tell me about my Mauser??

Hello all, I am new to the forum and new owner of a Mauser. I do not know much about Mausers and I'm not afraid to do some reading/research but I was recommended to ask you guys and was told many of you enjoy doing this. So without further ado.....here is a new one for ya. She is a bit rough, nothing a bit of TLC cant fix. Just looking to find out some info and gain knowledge of my new rifle. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Veteran
    It's an 1895 Chilean Mauser, as evidenced by the crest on the receiver. It is also a Deutsche Waffen und Muntionsfabriken or DWM, they started to mark these like that in 1896. Things go a little strange from there. It should be marked :Mauser Chileno Modelo 1895" above the other writing, like this:

mauser_chileno_modelo_1895_7_6_640.jpg

It has a generic side rail address in that it has no country or model. These were made for some countries like the ZAR Mausers destined for South Africa. They just never made it for one reason or the other. They were then roll marked with the Chilean crest and sent off to Chili.

The other thing about your Mauser is that it is chambered in 7.62x51 Nato as evidenced by the stamp on the back of the receiver. These were done at a later time by whoever usually by reaming out the original 7mm Mauser barrel and installing a chamber insert. Like this:

chamber insert.jpg

Some think this to be unsafe and will not shoot them, some will shoot them. It's up to you to do more research and decide for yourself.

Also it is a complete non-matching numbers rifle put together from lots of different parts.

I hope this info gives you a good start.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

It was a military conversion to 7.62X51 - I also have a Chilean Mauser conversion from 7mm to 7.62. I will see if I can get mine out latter and compare
    markings to what you have. It does appear your has had parts replaced, if that was done during it's military life, maybe conversion, it would not
    be surprising. Hopefully Bubba did not get his hands on it. Out of curiosity look down your barrel. Is it a 2 groove barrel? Many Remington
    1903-A3 N.O.S. surplus barrels were used for these conversions.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    So the conversions were done by the Chilean Military? About when were these done? I'm guessing post WWII if they were using 03A3 barrels on some of them.

I forget where I read it but saw that they bored and re-rifled the 7mm barrels as well. Is this also correct?
    Last edited by scottz63; 04-17-2018 at 09:27 AM.

New Recruit Private
    I knew it was nothing special as it was given to me for free by a family member, the information really helps. I appreciate it. I will take it apart in the near future and do some more investigating to determine if i will shoot it or not. thanks again scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    So the conversions were done by the Chilean Military? About when were these done? I'm guessing post WWII if they were using 03A3 barrels on some of them.

I forget where I read it but saw that they bored and re-rifled the 7mm barrels as well. Is this also correct?
    I have a couple of 7.62 conversions from South America, both were done with WW2 surplus 03 Rem 2 groove barrel some time after the war. 7.62/.308 cartridge was developed in early 50s.
    I would have to look it up to be sure, but believe they simply used a chamber adapter to make the conversation from 30-06 to 7.62X51/.308. Since bore is same between the cartridges there
    would be no need to mess with it. They are military conversions, not latter civilian jobs. I suspect these converted weapons were for the most part held in reserve storage.
    Barrels are pristine, even though the rifles themselves will show their age.

BTW Chile and many other South American countries fought bloody wars with their neighbors over territory/boundaries and at least back then kept
    sizable stockpiles of weapons in reserve in the event they had to mobilize. These rifle may have been dated and not what they armed their standing army
    with, but they would shoot and would give the an immediate reserve of weapons on hand for a rapid expansion of forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Pacific
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-17-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoEskimo View Post
    I knew it was nothing special as it was given to me for free by a family member, the information really helps. I appreciate it. I will take it apart in the near future and do some more investigating to determine if i will shoot it or not. thanks again scott.
    Your welcome.

Thanks for the info Buckshot, I'm still learning about these. Lots of info to take in.

Senior Veteran
    MojoEskimo, just noticed your bolt's serial number is about 400 numbers off of my 1895 Chilean receiver serial number.