Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPM Builds

New Recruit

DPM Builds

Hello, new here. Signed on to get information on other builds I am getting set up for down the road. Right now I am just finishing up on a Polish DPM kit build I started last year. Spent a good part of the winter on it and have it up and shooting but am still doing some tweeking on the semi auto trigger set up. In the process of doing this build I bought a couple of partial kits and now have enough extra parts to do another build. The difference is that I did this first one on one of SMG,s complete receivers. I plan on doing another one now on a re-welded rec of my own making. So I will be at it for some time to come next winter. Attached are pics of the first build and a couple of targets shot with it during testing trips to the range.

Senior Veteran
    That's nice! I like it.

The SMG complete receiver thing has me interested. Going to go look it up right now to see what I can find.
    Last edited by scottz63; 04-19-2018 at 12:47 AM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Nice work. I've got a DP28 and they sure are finicky to get working right. They're pretty unique conversation pieces though, and weight their fair share.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

Senior Veteran
    Is there any kits for these left around anywhere? Did a quick look around and did not find any.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel_master View Post
    Nice work. I've got a DP28 and they sure are finicky to get working right. They're pretty unique conversation pieces though, and weight their fair share.
    YES & YES. beautiful guns though.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Is there any kits for these left around anywhere? Did a quick look around and did not find any.
    Bowman Arms has them on Gun Broker. Nice kits. They also have barrels available.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765625313

That is sweeeeet!
    I have always wanted one of those, closest gun I have is a RPD.
    Got to shoot one full auto once - what fun!

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel_master View Post
    Very true on both comments. Darn thing is a real handful to tote around. I feel sorry for the poor Ivans who had to haul them and the mags around.
    Semi auto conversion is the hardest part of any of the LMG builds but with guns like these (DP, Bren, MG42) the fun is in the building and the fact that they give liberals the vapors.
    I like the big pan type mag look as well. Too bad its so hard to find Lewis Gun kits and when you do the cost is way out of my budgetary range.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
    Bowman Arms has them on Gun Broker. Nice kits. They also have barrels available.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765625313
    Those are nice kits! I'm really interested now. How much work is puting one of these together on an SMG complete receiver? Semi-auto of course.

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Those are nice kits! I'm really interested now. How much work is puting one of these together on an SMG complete receiver? Semi-auto of course.
    With out getting into a lot of detail I would say it takes about the same amount of work as doing an AK with rivets and having to populate a new barrel. No rivets on the DPM but alignment of the gas system is critical.
    The real thing that you want to look at is how you are going to convert the FCG and lower trigger housing to semi auto. There are several ways to go about this. What I did was buy the kit SMG has for converting it. You can buy the parts kit from them and do it your self. It will require some milling/grinding and welding. They send you a very detailed build sheet on how to go about it. Or you can have them do it for you. Others have used modified AR parts among other things. In the end the lower and bolt and bolt carrier must no longer be able to be mated to an FA receiver. The SMG rec is of course already semi auto with the approved denial pins and mods done.
    Head spacing is done by refitting the bolt locking flaps so that the proper clearance is achieved using gauges.
    In the big picture going with a new semi rec saves you from having to re-weld the cut unit and installing the necessary denial pins and a few other small mods.