Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 36 years later......

Yeah, folks that have spent their lives here have no clue as to what 'real winter' brings.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Everything is here just awaiting the time becoming available to check out those world famous Lucas electrics. The sad thing is I believe I've another job lined up as soon as this ends, which I had previously agreed to do. We're only as good as our word I guess.

Perhaps it'll be delayed for some reason or other. It happens.
    Joe
    COG#1453

New Recruit
    Sir, nice scooter, I've a few brit bikes as well, mine are trumps. If you need any info on parts I shall try my best to help. Amal makes a very nice set of brand new premier carbs. TheY are made better than the original ones as the idle passage is easily cleanable! Reading your post here is winding me up for winter . I have a 79 and a 64 that need attention. Oh there is a company in England selling the proper foam an covers as well as whole seats for our girls. Proper as in not emglo! Best regards, brent. Oh and fine job, she looks very nice!

Well..…...Installed the battery after a cursory inspection of the electrics(a finger & visual). The only thing working is the pilot lamp after cleaning the main switch, which contained ample corrosion...can't find any of my four meters, so ordered another that I'm certain shall join them in hiding when I finish with it. The wiring and connections are in good condition considering age and neglect. I've got my fingers crossed on finding no component failure when they're checked.

Major concerns are finding a bad rectifier, ballast resistor, or Zener diode. The diode would be difficult from what I glean, but perhaps there is a way around that by utilizing a regulator. The bay and good folks in Merry Old England have proven themselves invaluable many times on OEM parts before.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Thumbs up

I've only just noticed how many folks are looking at this thread and wish to express my thanks for their interest. I'm currently battling the electrics and it's not as easy as it once was when I was familiar with the manner the English approached things. Anyway I see those numbers and it uplifts my spirits giving the sense that others here recall the days of Limeys thundering down the streets controlling the road before almost entirely fading into history. I'll hopefully be picking fruit from the tree real soon, at least as soon as this bout of crud bug subsides.

I refuse to die of scurvy...……..I know...strange topic for a firearms forum, but they used their bikes in two wars +.

Degradation of some of the components in the ignition system has forced me into making the decision of going electronic. I just got tired of chasing the rabbit on this part and await the parts arriving Friday to begin the updates to the system. This shall leave only the charging system to go on essential operational needs, but work aplenty is waiting in the wings.
    Last edited by jbruney; 11-26-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Got it running today at about 1400. Even with the carb overhauls and the Wassell ignition system it was finicky and a booger to get thumping over. Leaned it back down after about 15 minutes and have it ticking over smoothly at about 1000rpm, but things are going to keep moving around until it settles in.
    It sounds real good for sitting for so many years, though the smoke from cooking the years of oil and crud out were disconcerting at first. I've a few things to do yet before tags, inspection, and the insurance.....like a pair of K81 MKII shoes for the girl.

My vid is too large
    Joe
    COG#1453

I guess the time has come to say this project has come to the end. The old girl is running well , I've been riding her around a bit with no issues, and all that's left are replacing a few things in the future which are mostly of cosmetic nature.
    Perhaps one of you may take an interest next time you drive past an old Brit laying in someone's garage and breathe the spark of life back into it. They are a trip to ride. Made to go fast and turn quickly with stopping as an afterthought.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    Good for you! Got any pics of the finished product?

Smile

Looks the same with the exception of turn indicators & new headlight bucket. Any other items are hidden from view...ie; internal & such.

I cannot say enough good things about the Vape Wassell ignition & the Wassell front master cylinder. The lead substitute appears to leave minor fouling on the plugs. Nothing to really cause complaint. The oil additive keeps things quiet & smooth.

My only complaint is my singular source of ethanol free fuel is 25mi. away and only 90 octane. It works though, and beats getting the valve train converted over to handle the higher temps ethanol brings with it. May yours continue to bring you endless thunder

Top pic is yesterday after a cruise with operational turn signals & checking clutch adjustment.....The old Goldwing comes out next after a 20yr. nap.
    I've no more room for my hoarding, so everything needs to be functioning for Mama's big sale when the reaper comes for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jbruney; 12-12-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: aqdd pic & info
    Joe
    COG#1453