Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't need emergancy supplies when you got stores--

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Yea, I have heard the same thing - we will come to your place. I told one family member after they said that,(obviously meaning it) - "so your bunch will come to my place, eat all my food, then what am I
    going to do?" Got a confused look, but no reply. Damn, not trying to be a alarmist, but keep some supplies around for emergencies.
    I've told more than one to go back and read The Ant and the Grasshopper. So many of them aren't willing to sacrifice the least little luxury for self sustainment or security it ain't funny.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

yeah i get that "we'll come to your place" thing all the time....

i just flat out tell them: dont bother if they aint bringing something useful or to trade with.

my brother laughed & said "oh you wouldnt turn me away"....

asked him if he thought he had a way to get the 50 miles from his house to mine on foot without getting killed & then would he be able to get back where he came from.

he has now moved out in the stix & started doing his own gardening & got his own generator set up. lets call that a win win situation.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post

i just flat out tell them: dont bother if they aint bringing something useful or to trade with.

my brother laughed & said "oh you wouldnt turn me away"....

asked him if he thought he had a way to get the 50 miles from his house to mine on foot without getting killed & then would he be able to get back where he came from.

he has now moved out in the stix & started doing his own gardening & got his own generator set up. lets call that a win win situation.
    A few years back we had a major wide spread ice storm. It took down trees, power poles and lines and made travel difficult. 1st day or 2 even stores were shut down.
    The first day stores open everything from generators, batteries, propane and propane heaters were gone. Same with local grocery store and quick stops. Took
    8 days or so for me to get power back. I had wood heat and propane heaters so stayed warm. I was in between on generators, big mistake on my part. Without
    power my well won't work. I had to cut holes in ice on the ponds and carry buckets of water to flush toilets. I had to rescue neighbor with two kids running out of food,
    etc. It was a long miserable 8 days, but it learned me. If it happens again, or worse, I will be prepared.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I don't consider myself a huge prepper, and live in the subs of a big city, but have a small 5kw generator, fuel/gas to run it for about a week, 12V 100W solar panel with battery, a few 2-way radios, food for at least a month (including our dogs...) and enough firepower to defend my supplies. Having seen what happened when we had a four day power outage in the area was a bit of an eye opener for my wife.
    NRA Life member, Instructor and CRSO
    www.primercatcher.com

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post

Sounds like the answer to "you have too much ammo" too. Want a welcome? Show up with all the 7.62 or 22 lr you can carry 50 miles on foot!
    No such thing as too much ammo.

Unfortunately for me, my wife has a hang up or two about "food clutter" so laying in supplies would drive her nuts.
    I should start squirreling non-perishables in the shop, where she probably wouldn't notice. She also can't stand to eat the same dinner two nights in a row.... tough enough in other ways, but food ain't one of them. I can eat the same food for a week or more just out of not wanting to waste my time on thinking up new dinners

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    Sounds like the answer to "you have too much ammo" too. Want a welcome? Show up with all the 7.62 or 22 lr you can carry 50 miles on foot!
    No such thing as too much ammo.

Unfortunately for me, my wife has a hang up or two about "food clutter" so laying in supplies would drive her nuts.
    I should start squirreling non-perishables in the shop, where she probably wouldn't notice. She also can't stand to eat the same dinner two nights in a row.... tough enough in other ways, but food ain't one of them. I can eat the same food for a week or more just out of not wanting to waste my time on thinking up new dinners
    ^^^ yeah i hear ya... BUT what i "like" to eat vs trying not to starve to death are 2 very different times. LMAO

got a couple of the 25yr set ups from Wise put back that you guys here pointed me to, along with all teh various canned foods my wife stocks up.

we have well & city water.... the well water is fantastic so its no issue at all to drink it.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.