Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ersatz MP44.... Newbie

It's all just metal, sticking parts together is easy!

New Recruit
    If you say so. Lesson #2. And the real crux of this build.... the Trunnion. I figured out the hard way that the real reason 7.92x 33 kurz is such a PITA has to do with the OAL of the cartridge. This is why (other than stigma) its not more commonly used. If you want to run kurz reliably, it needs to be almost in a pistol length action... but utilizes moderate rifle type pressures. Look at my first build more closely. Look how close the mag well forward edge is to the front of the receiver. This is way far forward and required.....gulp..... undercutting the trunnion to allow feeding. I tried initially using the .223 mag placement which is fine for the longer cartridge...But with kurz the shell left the mag before it was reliably fed into the chamber on the business end. Whoever is attempting a build of this sort I just saved you a lot of man-hours of pain. If you look at an MP-5 trunnion, you can see how far the underside of the trunnion is undercut to allow the short action. Since an MP-5 trunnion is barely viable in 10mm mag...no way its gonna hold kurz for any length of time. So I undercut the .223 trunnion with water cooling and lots of stress. Turns out its not a problem so far..... but 10's of thousands of rounds of testing would need to be done to make it anything more than a toy. My heart goes out to the guys in SC doing the reproduction.

I know what you mean. I have a trunnion with a huge section cut out of the bottom in a box with a project I started a long time ago to build an MP5ish in 7.62x25. I was just getting into the build for real when the price of x25 shot through the roof. I even made a chamber fluted 7.62x25 barrel.

very nice looking guns indeed.

thanks for sharing.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

I like the MP44 a lot! The other thing.......ummm.......I'm not sure what the point is unless it's just something to tinker with. But maybe tinkering IS the point and I'm just a stick in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
    I like the MP44 a lot! The other thing.......ummm.......I'm not sure what the point is unless it's just something to tinker with. But maybe tinkering IS the point and I'm just a stick in the mud.
    The question (and answer) is, how would you go about making a semi auto rifle in 8mm kurtz? What components would you choose?

There is a thread somewhere on this forum that explains how a regular Cetme works for those interested! Once you figure that out you can appreciate what is done with this build or Mike's 243.
    WBZ

New Recruit
    Comblock...you are right. I am a tinkerer and this is probably more appropriate for a builders type forum. I love loading kurz, and collecting the stg mags.... and the idea of a flute-less custom caliber HK style rifle. Fun to talk about though and the frankengewehr is handy and fun to shoot. I like 7 mm nambu too so I am a bit of a glutton for punishment. I'll try to get a shooting video up at some point....somehow. Never done it before. Thanks everybody for the warm reception.

Fixit4 -Have you checked your inbox here?

New Recruit
    Im on it. Thanks. Would like to get a video together to add to the content. Folks prob. already think its photo shopped!!