Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C308 ground bolt carrier, now what?

New Recruit
    Today, I put in the APEX locking piece, my gap jumped up .0025 which put me at .008 bolt gap, which is good. Finally, I put the +4 new rollers in and it went up another .012, so in total I'm at the maximum tolerance. A little close for comfort but I can't complain. CT gap is around .035 to .040 which includes .020 for bolt gap, so I should be ready for the range. Pics from the range to follow.

I think it has all ready been said , but after you run a couple of hundred rounds through it check your bolt gap again. The new parts will have mated and settled in a little and your gap may drop one or two thousand. Let us know how the range time went.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    Yes, let us know how the range went and what your bolt gap settled in to.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

New Recruit
    I read all the stickies on CT gap, false gap, and figured I may have another pending issue. When charging the handle back to cock the rifle it gets stuck about 2 inches from the top about 10% percent of the time, and I have to pull like hell to get it the rest of the way. Next, I did the dime test and ended up putting a huge divot in the middle of it, and it really didn't help ease charging at all. Finally, I looked with a light through the cocking tube slot and noticed my carrier must be contacting my handle support slightly because the end of carrier has a half moon shaped shiney galling mark on it. I found this out by using a black marker and coloring the tip of the carrier. I took it apart and found my carrier has been hitting because the marker wore off on the longest point. Century not only took off too much material on the end, its also ground at an angle. I figure I might have false gap, but at this point I may just shoot the heck out of it, since my bolt gap is at .020. Any thoughts?

Two potential issues come to mind. Is the c-tube slot even the full length or does it splay open in the area where the handle gets stuck?

First: Do a test by removing the carrier and putting the stock back on. Hold the rifle as you normally do when pulling the cocking lever back and see if it still gets stuck.

I've run into many with a condition where the cocking handle gets very hard or even stuck due to the handle support getting skewed inside the c-tube and dragging on the sides. The fix is to squeeze the c-tube diameter closed so there's no extra room for the support to get angled. I usually end up sanding the chatter marks from the inside of the tube where the support left skid marks and everything goes back to normal. Since your c-tube is already mounted you could use hose clamps to squeeze the tube.

Second: Next time it gets stuck look at under the bolt head to see if the ejector lever has jumped out of it's slot and is dragging on the bolt head. It's fix is to remove the FCG and squeeze the shelf (where the ejector pivot pin is) closed enough to remove all side to side slop of the ejector.
    Last edited by holescreek; 05-26-2018 at 11:41 AM.

New Recruit
    I checked my cocking tube and found that the support rides freely, with no twisting or dents in the tube itself. I also tested my trigger assembly and for some reason when I dry fire, the hammer then moves to the upward position and when I move the safety to "on" and try to recock the rifle that's when it locks up. BUT, here's the kicker, when I move the safety to "off" the rifle will charge with no problem all day long. This is'nt normal. Well, I appreciate everyone's patience because for me this has been a real eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippydays View Post
    BUT, here's the kicker, when I move the safety to "off" the rifle will charge with no problem all day long. This is'nt normal. Well, I appreciate everyone's patience because for me this has been a real eye opener.
    That's supposed to happen. The safety needs to be off. It's mentioned in the manual.
    Last edited by holescreek; 05-26-2018 at 06:27 PM.

New Recruit
    Ok, I just wanted to be sure. Now to take it to the range and get it sighted in and shoot the hell out of it.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippydays View Post
    Ok, I just wanted to be sure. Now to take it to the range and get it sighted in and shoot the hell out of it.
    You taking it today?
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

New Recruit
    No, its well into the mid to upper 90's the entire holiday weekend. Memorial day is suppose to be 99 degrees. I use an outdoor range which has no shade, so I'm going to do it next weekend. We had a blizzard here about a month ago. Go figure.