Thread: Quick question regarding barrel pressing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Veteran

Quick question regarding barrel pressing

Good morning to all!! I'm slowly moving towards starting my first CETME C build, and as a rank beginner I have what may seem to be a dumb question (the first of many, probably!! ). As I start pressing the barrel into the trunnion, if, God forbid, I find that I've pressed it in too deep, do I a) keep pressing it the same direction, right on through the trunnion, or b) press it back out the direction that it came from? Thanks for your expertise!!

Getting it right the first time is ideal, maximum interference between the barrel and trunnion. If you miss the target you'll want to press it through and try again. Typically you only get one second chance before the barrel diameter is so reduced that it moves too freely in the trunnion. At that point you can knurl the barrel to raise the diameter and try one more time but it will never be as tight as the first time.

You can stop and measure as many times as you want while pressing the first time. Don't rush it and don't panic and start over if you miss your "ideal" number as long as your gap is in tolerance. A tight press at .006" is better than a loose barrel at .020". You can always grow the gap with larger rollers later. Check your roller sizes before hand too, I've had mismatched diameters in demilled kits before.
    Last edited by holescreek; 05-15-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Veteran
    Roger...copy THAT!! I intend to be UBER careful, but knowing that Mr. Murphy can show up at any time, I figured that I better know what to do in worst case scenario ahead of time. As always, I thank you for your knowledge and advice!

New Recruit
    so here's a question. With the plus and minus rollers on the market where should one start with roller size on a rebuild? I'm going to be completing my Cetme soon and would like to have room to swap to larger rollers once or twice in the life of the rifle but I think that would also mean a barrel change too. I can't see it wearing all that fast but I don't know. Someone should add to the stickies where a good starting point would be on roller size.

Anyway. New guy here. found lots of resources pointing me here and weapons guild, vast wealth of information here is very much appreciated.

Sadly, the "stickies" area is not well maintained here, that's why new builders have to keep asking the same questions over and over.

I've personally never started with undersized rollers but if I did, I'd go to -2's just to be conservative. Maybe -4 if I'm planning on shooting out a barrel.

Are you the same Kcstott from calguns?
    Last edited by holescreek; 06-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.

New Recruit
    Thanks at least I have a starting point now. I still need the measure what’s in the bolt at this time. Kit is one of the Apex kits
    And yeah I’m the same Kcstott from Calguns, accurate reloader, weapons guild, the AK files, and a few other boards.

New Recruit
    So I measured my rollers they are a -2 so good to go as is. I’ll press the barrel till I hit .016”-.018” and call it good.
    Barrel from Sarco showed up with a happy little surprise. They threaded the muzzle 5/8-24 so I have a huge selection of brakes available but more so I don’t have to buy a tap as I make my own brakes. I’ll copy the existing flash hider but machine it internally to be a muzzle brake.