Thread: Making .223 bullet from .22 shell casings

Making .223 bullet from .22 shell casings

Interesting article in the November issue of Shooting Times magazine about using 22LR shell casings to make .223 bullets.

The basic premise is that you form the casing into the shape with a hollow point and then fill it with lead.

Now, I don't think I've reached a point where I would do this, but it was pretty interesting all the same. The author said it has been around for for decades, but this is the first I've heard of it.
    "When shoes and clothes and food, when even hope is gone, we'll have the rifle."

saw that article too. pretty interesting. i dunno that the time requirement would outweight the cost savings, but it would be pretty fun to try sometime just for schnitzengiggles.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    saw that article too. pretty interesting. i dunno that the time requirement would outweight the cost savings, but it would be pretty fun to try sometime just for schnitzengiggles.
    ....until you pour molten lead on your hands and feet trying to get it into the tiny hole!
    Last edited by Deadheadmatt; 09-26-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo

.223 from .22lr

Corbin makes the equipment. I was just looking at it yesterday. It appears you can get the lead wire from them or cast your own cores with their special mold. Looks interesting until you see the price tag, about $600 to get started. I would have to make a he!! of a lot of bullets to recoup that price tag.
    I am not a sheep, I am not food. You can kill me but you cannot eat me.

In the book ďABSís of Reloading, third editionĒ by Dean Grennell, thereís a couple of chapters on Dave Corbinís products, one of which is a write up on the 22 cal bullets made from 22 RF hulls. The author does a good job of going through the process and what equipment he used.
    I donít know how old the third edition is, but I know Iíve had it for more than 10 years, still a good read though.

Woofert
    Aging is mandatory, maturing is not

I've been looking at these set up for about 2 years now. A guy at the local club has a set of the corbin dies with a wire mold. He did up about 500 cases and hasnt touched the thing since. I've done a fair bit of reading and research on these. There is a guy who makes cheaper dies and claims they will last to 50,000 rounds or so. I don't have his info stored on this computer I'll have to send it to myself next time I'm on the home computer and post it.

IMHO you would be better off just buying cheap surplus bullets and using those. but if your a true experimenter and even wanna see if you can make HEAVY bullets out of the .22 mag cases then this is something you might want to look into. Dunno if there are dies out there to make VLD bullets but if Cu keeps going up and I get some of my reloading gear here and start experimenting.
    Last edited by wonderwolf; 10-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.