Thread: Battle Between Russin Mercenaries and U.S. Troops (Syria)

Battle Between Russin Mercenaries and U.S. Troops (Syria)

Interesting article that lays out the events leading up to this battle and the battle itself. Lot more info on the heavy ground fighting
    between our guys and the Russian advancing force than other articles I have read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/w...ies-syria.html
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Thanks, that was Interesting.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Who are we supporting? Do we still have the Obama era 'pro American' irregular force?
    Is ISIS in the area of the Conoco plant?
    It's a fair question
    To me Assad is the ruler of Syria like it or not, the Russians have stated they will not let him go down.
    I understand destroying ISIS if they are Syrian soil. With that said are we holding ground and if so for who?
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Who are we supporting? Do we still have the Obama era 'pro American' irregular force?
    It's a fair question
    To me Assad is the ruler of Syria like it or not, the Russians have stated they will not let him go down.
    I understand destroying ISIS if they are Syrian soil. With that said are we holding ground and if so for who?
    Lots of good questions.

It's a fair question
    The Kurdish-led, US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) our are guys there in the fight against ISIS. They are the ones that stopped ISIS in the
    brutal ISIS siege of Kobani and latter paid heavily taking back ISIS capital of Raqqa. We have an understanding with Russia and Syria we will operate
    with the SDF west of the Euphrates River and the Russians/Syrian forces on the east side against ISIS.

Usually that has worked out fairly well, however Assad Army is also supported by numerous foreign militias run by Iran, Hezbollah, the Russian Wagner
    Group, plus local militias. They often operate outside official Russian/Assad's authority (loosely controlled) and do their own thing. The SDF operating
    on the west side of Euphrates captured the Conoco Gas Field from ISIS. It is suspected that as the Wagner Group supported by a militia attacked
    crossed over the Euprates and attacked our group as they supposedly paid a percentage of production of any oil/gas fields they capture by Assad.
    In short, it was likely done for money/greed and not officially backed/sanctioned by Assad or Russia, although they likely did little to stop them.

All reports are we have had a professional relationship with Russia in the field and thru the Russians we have avoided conflict with the actual
    Syrian Army. The foreign Iranian/Hezbollah controlled militias usually cause the trouble. ISIS has been severely weakened, but still control
    some small areas and with sleeper cells and using mobile units out of the desert still attacking in areas liberated from their control. The
    SDF (our guys) on the west side of the river in in the last stages of driving ISIS out of the remaining areas ISIS holds in the west side.

Our guys are also supported by French and British special forces, so it is not just us supporting the SDF. In fact a few days ago
    a French force got off track and went into a Syrian Army controlled area where they were stopped. The Syrian Army checked them out
    pointed them in the right direction to the SDF controlled area and sent them on their way.

BTW the Kurds were never treated well by Assad, but generally avoided conflict with the Syrian Army and concentrated on securing
    their own areas from ISIS control. They are not seeking independence and are looking for a guarantee of fair treatment before they
    return to Syrian government control. The oil/gas fields they currently control are mostly being run by Syrian paid technicians and the
    oil/gas produced is mostly going to the Syrian Gov. No doubt the Kurds are getting a fee for it.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-25-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Buck you answered my basic questions and explained the very complicated situation in very clear terms
    Thank you
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Buck you answered my basic questions and explained the very complicated situation in very clear terms
    Thank you
    Yea, complicated on the ground and complicated in the air. Last time I checked there was 7 air forces doing missions over a very small country in the areas
    they support. Russian, Syrian, Turkish, U.S., British, French and even Iraq is attacking targets in Syria. Actually 8 as Israel is constantly attacking Iranian/
    Hezbollah units trying to keep them back from their border. Those Iranian/Hezbollah militias number around 100,000 and probably have more fighting strength
    than the actual Syrian Army. They also hate Israel. Russia is making no effort to stop Isreal's air attacks and suspect they might even like to see
    those Iranian militias they don't control taken down a notch. After all they (Russia) wants to be the top dog there (LOL).

Senior Veteran
    Thank you, that cleared it up for me.

I have been reading as much as I can from as many different sources as possible
    Found this entire episode disturbing, if you are an American of a certain age you know in your gut this is not good.
    The US, Russian, British, French, Turk, Kurd, Iranians Israelis, ISIS, and other forces all intertwined a knot.

I found the this from our old RFE site (Didn't know it was around anymore since no more Iron Curtain)
    Yes it's our propaganda site, but I don't doubt it's true. I have a Russian friend that serves active duty right now.
    So I know some of the sentiment expressed is for the most part true
    They call Syria the Meat Grinder

The Russian mercenaries fighting in Syria say they are not in the country for the money or to help Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

"[Syrians] can't stand Assad," one Russian mercenary commander told RFE/RL. "Really. Only a tiny percentage of the population there supports him and the rest oppose him. Only [Russian President Vladimir] Putin supports him. Russia supports him -- no one else."

There is a bigger motivation, the mercenary claimed. "If you are fighting under a Russian flag, with a Russian weapon, even if you are eating moldy food and are 10,000 kilometers from home, you are nonetheless fighting for Russia,"

RFE/RL has been able to speak -- on condition of anonymity -- with three Vagner commanders who have fought for the company both in Syria and, before that, in support of Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine. Together, the three men all veterans of the Army
    paint a grim picture of the campaign in Syria and of the men who are fighting there.
    Vagner forces do not carry out full-scale military operations, the sources said, but rather "expand zones of influence."

One commander remembers unloading crates of 120-millimeter mortar shells at the port of Tartus. The crates were labeled "Use: 1986." You'd grab a crate, one of the commanders recalled, and the handles would come off in your hands as the box disintegrated.

"They take territory under control -- as a rule, oil and gas fields -- and then guard these territories," a commander said. "They are paid for this.... But it is impossible to control an oil field if there are hostile fighters 500 meters away, so they have to force them out."
    Officially, the Vagner mercenaries sign contracts for civilian work in oil and gas fields.

The mercenaries have little respect for their Syrian comrades in arms, the commanders said.

The Syrians "are afraid of Islamic State," one said. "Say, for example, you go on the attack and take some high ground. You hand it over to the Syrians, but in the morning they don't have it anymore. ISIS is back there. And we have to take the hill again."
    Russian Merc (800x533).jpg

https://www.rferl.org/a/russian-merc.../29100402.html
    Last edited by Norton; 05-29-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Interesting. I read news sources from all the countries involved. Many of course are government control sources. The Russian sources report that in some recently
    liberated areas they (Russians) have order their Military Police to patrol to keep the Syrian Army and for sure the Shiite Iranian/Hezbollah militias from looting, stealing
    and abusing the local population (Sunnis).

It is for sure a complex web of relationships. Turkey for example hates our Kurdish allies and actually invaded and holds part
    of Syria to attack the Kurds and/or keep them out. They operate with their own militias, some pretty radical. They constantly
    condemn our involvement with the Kurdish SDF and constantly threaten to invade the Kurdish areas we work in. The Turks
    have cause us a lot of problems and it does not appear anyone else involved is very fond of them either.

Russian have a surprisingly close relationship with Israel. Worth noting that millions of Jews in Israel came from Russia. They have
    never used their planes or their advanced anti-aircraft systems they control against the Israeli planes attacking Iranian/Hezbollah positions.
    Israel generally leaves the actual Syrian Army alone, but they are sometime collateral damage as those militias are their fighting arm. The
    Syrian Army is often used to hold the ground after Iranians/Hezzbollah militias take it for them. These Shiite militias are not Syrians. Iran
    recruits them from a number of other countries to include their own.

The relationships between the players are so complex it would take a book to talk about them fully. For example the Saudis and other
    Sunni Arab states have all but aligned themselves with Israel. They don't like Assad and really hate Iran and it's proxy Hezbollah.

Goggle Syrian news 24/7 and it will give you many news sources on the conflict. Take everything with a grain of salt as many are
    government control and spill their government line, but you eventually get a sense for what is the truth by sorting things out.