Thread: Budget Ar 15 optics

Budget Ar 15 optics

Any one have any suggestions on a lower cost, LARGE aperture, non electrified, low magnification AR-15 tactical optics that would work well with iron sights, something like a c79 scope but at a much lower cost.
    Last edited by AxlMyk; 05-15-2019 at 04:24 PM.

I realize this post is a year old, but trying to steer people away from CHEAP (crappy) optics, is one of my life's missions!

Assuming you haven't thrown good money after bad yet... Leupold makes some nice, etched glass reticle scopes. Their 1x14 Prismatic short dot can still occasionally be found on store shelves, and might be your "cheapest" option. Just remember, "UTG" stands for "Useless Total Garbage" - "Barska" is the Russian word for, "breaks" - and "Leapers" is what the optic does, when the chintzy mount breaks on the first shot. You WILL get EXACTLY what you pay for with rifle optics.

I had excellent success with Trijicon's Reflex series sights that were solar-powered - in complete darkness and bright light. It didn't even wash out in sunlight for me (some people HAVE complained about that)... but that BIG 6.5moa gold dot, completely covered the black 8/9/10 ring on a standard target at 50 yards; that COULD be an issue, if you want to shoot at further distances with it.

Vortex makes some excellent products as well. I JUST got my first Vortex optic this week - a Viper PST II - & while it's 1x6, it ain't cheap! But for low magnification, quality, and affordability, they have a LOTTA options. I'd probably start with them, if you can't locate that Leupold 1x14 (it was discontinued a few years ago).
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran
    Primary Arms, been using them for a decade +. I have a couple of their optics and have beat them to heck (I literally toss my rifle at the beginning of classes to prove the AR isn't a powder puff) and have yet to have one break. This is the next one I'm getting: https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-gen-i...-reticle-black

Do yourself a favor and make a list of optics you're looking at and research them.
    Last edited by Arkane; 06-21-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Thumbs up

SPEAKING of PA... I put one of these on my Tactical Trainer dedicated .22 AR - https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight

With a 2moa dot, it's as bright & clear as the Aimpoint Pro I had been running on it - at a quarter of the price!

Now that I'm running T-1's on all my 5.56 rifles, I'm thinking of going this route on my .22 - https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight - so as to keep similar.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams, 2nd U.S. President -

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
    SPEAKING of PA... I put one of these on my Tactical Trainer dedicated .22 AR - https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight

With a 2moa dot, it's as bright & clear as the Aimpoint Pro I had been running on it - at a quarter of the price!

Now that I'm running T-1's on all my 5.56 rifles, I'm thinking of going this route on my .22 - https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight - so as to keep similar.
    The PA Micro is pretty tough. Tough enough when I was doing a teach we had a tower for guys to work out of and a guy lost control of his rifle (yeah, GASP!) and it fell 3 stories. Scratched up, but the glass held and it worked and held zero fine. My wife is running one on her CX4 now and she won't even talk about changing to another optic. If you look there's a youtube vid of Dimitri beating the hell out of one, freezing it in a block of ice, etc. etc.

I've been running PA's in place of ACOGs since they first came out with the 3x. That original 3x has held up to some pretty harsh recoiling rifles (including a Safe Harbor .50, a tricked out Mauser, etc). I skipped buying the T1 and instead went with a Micro for the wife and have zero regrets after seeing the abuse it could take.

FWIW there is currently a sale on the Sparc package at PSA, if you buy a Sparc with 10 Pmags (normally $329) you can get the package for $199 with free shipping using the code SPARC; https://palmettostatearmory.com/vort...magazines.html
    Last edited by Arkane; 06-22-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.