Thread: 1914 Greek Army Colt Army Special

1914 Greek Army Colt Army Special

I belong to ColtForm.com (as well as other gun forums go figure). A member who collects Military and LE Agency marked guns posted a Gun Broker link for a Greek Army marked Colt Army Special chambered in .38 Special. Colt made the Army special in various calibers (.22 LR, .38 Special, .32-20, .38-200 (aka as .38 S&W), and .41 Colt (aka .41 Long Colt with barrel lengths of 4", 5", and 6". They also made them in 4-1/2" which is not as common. Around 1927 Colt renamed the Army Special the Official Police!

This 4-1/2" barreled gun, made in 1914 according to Proofhouse.com was inspected by Major Gilbert H. Stuart, US Army Ordnance Inspector (his inspection mark is the round circle stamped on the left side between the top of the cylinder and the hammer.

This gun shows a somewhat decent finish considering its 104 years old and was a military sidearm. I suspect there was a lot more holster wear then hard use; the bore and cylinder is fairly clean. I took the side plate off; inside its clean but dry. The action is tight; the cylinder locks up tight; trigger pull in both Single and Double action is heavy however! If I knew how to take it down to a bare frame I'd give it a super detail cleaning and lubricating! The smooth wood stocks (grips) are numbers matched to the gun; and on the butt of the gun is marked with the Greek Letters Epsilon and Sigma (meaning the Greek Army) and a 5 digit S/N probably a property number. I don't see any reason to not shoot it with some very basic Lead Round Nose 158 grain ammo or some .38 Special Mid-Range Wadcutter ammo!

Just for grins, here's my .41 Colt Army Special, 5" barrel, made in 1920:

Now for the fun part: The gun was $275 plus $25 shipping; and another $20 transfer fee from my friendly local gun shop here in San Antonio. Sadly the .41 Colt Army Special was three times as much - but condition means everything!
    Last edited by cwo4uscgret; 07-04-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

much like
    COG#169 Terra Firma....No Doubt!

Very nice old war horse.I have a couple of Colts made in 1914, but they are 1911s.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    That is nice.. and considering it was with the Greeks it is in wonderful condition.. Those guys fought long and hard with their weapons for decades.. never knew such a Colt/Greek/handgun combo even existed

Great gun, exceptional price! I can't see you having any problems shooting soft loaded ammo. You might wonder if the gun went off using wad cutters. Good looking .41, too.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Senior Veteran
    I like it, very cool with the inspectors mark! Good price as well.

I think some 0000 steel wool with some oil would do that gun some good.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Me too like much. Very nice.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Nevada - I shot it yesterday with 148 grain wadcutters from the 7,10, 15, and 25 yard line...worked great but my shooting? Not so great. Lousy picture; but I've gotten into the habit of folding the target vertically in thirds - aim small, miss small something that someone from another forum (he was a firearms instructor for the LAPD during his career) says.

AS_target.jpg
    Last edited by cwo4uscgret; 07-04-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

Cool find!

I do speak Greek.

The "Epsilon Sigma" (E S) is the abbreviation for " Ellinikůs Stratůs" which translates to Hellenic Army or Greek Army.
    WBZ

nice gun and range report! and Thanks Mike for the Greek lesson- makes it interesting knowing these little details

Airmedic6