Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice? Folded CETME flat won't accept the trunnion without gap in bottom seam

Veteran

Any advice? Folded CETME flat won't accept the trunnion without gap in bottom seam

I've run a straightening mandrel through it, bolt carrier slides easily, and the seams match up pretty damn evenly, but when I insert the trunnion/barrel assembly, it forces open a gap in the forward bottom seam.(the flat is yet to be welded).I'm unsure of the best way to deal with this issue.

I run my straightening mandrel through the receiver after it's welded. The mandrel isn't doing anything if the seams aren't closed.

Veteran
    Thanks for replying...I was planning on running it through again after I get it welded up, I just wanted to run the mandrel through before to make sure that it's as close to correct as possible before it gets finalized together. The receiver is clamped together pretty securely at present time. I'm a little perplexed by it.

I don't know how your mandrel works. Mine is designed to stretch the metal into it so that the receiver springs into the proper shape when the mandrel is removed.

If everything else seems OK, weld it up then go to harbor freight and get an exhaust pipe stretcher/expander that fits the trunnion end and use it to round it out. The trunnion is usually a tight fit for me with my setup.

Veteran
    I am using the mandrel sold by RTG. I believe it basically uses the same sort of principle. But a tube expander...!!! GREAT idea!! HF, here I come!!!

I'm sure you're going to be careful and not over-expand, but I feel the need to bring it up anyway.

Veteran
    No, believe me, I appreciate the word of caution!! I don't know if it will even be possible, as after your suggestion, I was researching exhaust tube expanders, and I'm wondering if a garden variety expander will even be able to muscle the 16 gauge steel enough. But I plan on finding out! I will utilize extreme caution, and I value your input!!

Senior Veteran
    Holescreek, great idea with the exhaust pipe stretcher/expander!
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I've never had to use one of the jigs HK sells but I gather from reading threads on several sites that they don't produce consistent results. It could be a design issue or maybe just the people using them with varying skill levels or available equipment. That was one of the reasons I never made bending jigs for sale. The trunnion diameter should be "built in" to the flat (meaning that if the flat comes together perfectly the diameter should be right), the old ORF flats I still use have perfect trunnion ID's after bending, and they were $25 flats!

I just looked up the pipe expanders HF sells and the smallest one is 1.5". That's going to be very close to finished size. Another idea (and cheaper) would be to call your local AutoZone and see if they have one you can borrow.

Veteran
    Yeah, Auto Zone might be a better option. Perhaps their tool might be of better quality. The inside of my flat in the trunnion area measures about 1.53 inches in diameter. Perhaps I need to sand the trunnion circumference a tiny bit...