Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any advice? Folded CETME flat won't accept the trunnion without gap in bottom seam

I'm betting it's just out of round.

Veteran
    You're probably right. It's funny...I've looked through TONS of threads here, and found some of your early questions from when YOU were first learning about this rifle. I trust your judgment!!

I can still remember not knowing what a Cetme was...until I ordered a kit. At the time (2009) the best tutorial I could find was on the Pirate 4X4 site, and it was missing the finer details. Luckily I found this place and got involved. It was easy to get hooked when ORF was getting ready to file bankrupcy and kits were $80 and flats were $25.

Veteran
    Well, Holes, you were absolutely right...I got my receiver welded last night, and then ran the straightening mandrel through it again. It passed through pretty easily until the nose of the mandrel got to the front of the magwell area...then it stopped COLD and REALLY made me work to drive it the rest of the way to the front of the receiver. Once I got it to the front and back out again, the trunnion went in with just a few taps. Snug, but it fits. I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now!!

I suppose it's like having a kid. The first time everything's scary and you're not sure what to do and the next few sorta happen on their own.
    Last edited by holescreek; 08-26-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Veteran
    Great analogy!!! Now if I can just get the cocking tube and the weldments on, I'll be home free!! I'm finally starting to feel a little more confident about the project, anyway !!

Cocking tube comes after the barrel is pressed into the trunnion and the trunnion is welded into the receiver. Getting the trunnion all the way back against the rails and rotationally correct is important (as with everything else!). Once you're satisfied with the position of the trunnion you might need to squeeze the rails in a little bit with a clamp so they are even with the inside width of the trunnion so you don't get the bolt hanging up. Once the trunnion weld is complete youcan start thinking about the cocking tube, and remember to add a shim between the end of the carrier tube and the cocking handle support equal to the bolt gap plus .015". I don't know anything about store bought weldments.

Veteran
    Yeah, I understand the order of attachment...I've had a fantastic teacher...YOU !! I just view the trunnion installation as pretty easy and straightforward, while the cocking tube installation seems just a bit more daunting. I've already got a shim cut and fit...again, thanks to your tutorials. The weldments come from Hkparts, and are just the denial shelf, rear sight base, a structural support for the rear take down pin area, etc. Because I don't have the machining skills that you do ! Your tutorials are great teaching aids!!