Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: First Time CETME Build (Ongoing)

New Recruit
    Oh, and for any 922r....ummmmm....folks....Barrel, Muzzle Device, Receiver, Magazines, Furniture. 7.

This will change to include parts that I manufacture myself, replacing other parts named above, as time allows. I won't be updating when I do this, but when you see the original furniture on the gun, it's done. It's funny, at first I was in love with the OD green G3 furniture, but the more I see this old wooden stock set, the more I love it.

Clipping the lower will happen probably over the next couple of nights, after work. I might pin, too. I'll be using JB weld, since this is not a load or stress bearing part. I don't want to warp the lower, or make a bunch more work for myself, grinding through the welds. I'm saving the rest of my grinding patience for dressing the receiver and cocking tube after spacing and welding.

Now that this is no longer capable of accepting full auto fire components, I will build my jig and bend my receiver either Friday or Saturday. The entire jig building process and the bending will be photo documented. I can't hide the jig inside the fire group, so if I forget to take pictures, I can just go back and snap a photo.
    Last edited by YetiSpaghetti; 09-05-2018 at 03:03 AM.

New Recruit
    Had to blow off some steam so came home and attempted to build the unistrut jig and utilize it. I know that it's worked for others, but it was a complete disaster for me. I won't even take pictures of the thing, because I don't want some misguided soul trying to use it as a base. Bench bending is what saved this thing.

I almost lost the whole flat. As it was, I bolted it to my bench, straightened it that way, then proceeded to chuck it in my board vice and massage it against the bolt carrier to get it closer to spec. Lots of massaging will follow, but at least I didn't lose the receiver. The bolt carrier binds heavily when passing through, but liberal application of large rawhide mallet will fix that. I didn't expect this to be a cake walk, so wasn't surprised when it got serious.

Also used the handle to my pipe bender. Turns out it's 20mm OD exactly. I chucked the handle inside the flat and rebent the top channel in my board vice and then used the bolt carrier to bring the rails into line with each other.

Scarred the crap out of the top of the receiver, but I never expected her to be pretty when I'm done. Just fairly accurate and completely reliable after adjusting.

Receiver1.jpg

Receiver2.jpg

Receiver3.jpg
    Last edited by YetiSpaghetti; 09-06-2018 at 04:02 AM.

It doesn't look mangled from the pics. Should be good to go if the bolt falls through after its welded.

New Recruit
    It was pretty mangled, but I was able to save it. I've learned how to massage it using my board vice, so I'll get it to where the bolt drops freely through. That's tomorrow's shop project. I'm just happy that I didn't ruin an $82 receiver flat.

New Recruit Private
    I’ve been following this thread waiting for flat bending day (with pics) before doing my own. Could you please explain what your problems were using the uni-strut and what you would do different if you were to use this method again. Maybe throw in a picture or two. Thanks for posting your build process. Thanks again deadeye.

New Recruit
    Hey there, Deadeye. The problem for me with the unistrut jig was getting the flat to sit properly on the top of the unistrut, even with the pressing rod bolted to the flat. Because the top of the unistrut sides are smooth, curved, and galvanized, the flat likes to slip around. I began to press the flat several times, only to find that it had shifted against the unistrut. The unistrut was bolted to a board with carriage bolts so it couldn't move, and it was the flat that kept shifting because of how slick the top of the rails are. There isn't a convenient flat spot on the receiver flat that corresponds with the unistrut. The final time I bolted it down I thought that I had it straight, and started the press. I got it about a 1/3 of the way bent and then realized it had cocked in the jig and had malformed the top portion of the channel where the bolt carrier tube rides. It was a disaster for me. I'm not posting detailed pictures of the jig I used because it didn't work, and I don't want anyone getting off on the wrong foot. If you're going to use the method, then I suggest researching how the others configured their unistrut jigs, because they seemed to make it work.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd just use Nitegunner's benchtop bend. It's what I had to go back and do to get it uncocked. I then had to use a different press bar and a vice to get the top channel back into something approaching true.

If I had just used the benchtop bend method I wouldn't have had the issues that I did.

Ok, I did find a pic that will show the exact point in time where I realized it was out of line, and how little bending you have to have done before it can go wrong. I tried using the clamp in the picture to cheat the flat straight after it was cocked. While that didn't make it worse, it also didn't make it any straighter.

ReceiverJig.jpg
    Last edited by YetiSpaghetti; 09-08-2018 at 12:00 AM.

New Recruit Private
    Thanks for explaining the issues you had and the pic. Gives me a few things to look out for and think about. Please keep posting on your progress and I'll try and do the same when I start. Have a great day today. deadeye.

New Recruit
    I'm telling you, Deadeye, if I had it to do over again, I'd just use Nitegunner's method of bolting the flat to the bench and gently coaxing it up by levering and prying. I can't seem to directly post the pdf tutorial here, but I'm taking screenshots of it pulled up, so you can see what he did. THIS IS WHAT I WILL BE DOING NEXT TIME FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

I'm not telling anyone what to do, except myself. The bench method is stupidly easy, and works infinitely better than rigging something up to press into unistrut. You get more uniform control all the way around manual moving it up yourself. Just bolt that flat tight to your bench. I could have had my flat bent in 20 minutes doing it that way. Instead it took me four hours to fix what I screwed up in about two minutes using that !@!##@$#%@@# piece of unistrut.

I know the words are hard to see in that tutorial, but I can email it to you, or tell you where to find it. I don't want to violate any rules here by naming other forums. Don't know if that's a thing, but want zero issues with this group of folks. I like it here.

Unistrut, Never Again.

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 14-01-00.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 13-57-57.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 14-00-05.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 14-02-00.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 14-03-32.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-09-08 14-06-34.jpg
    Last edited by YetiSpaghetti; 09-08-2018 at 02:09 PM.

New Recruit Private
    I've read that thread and have just about every cetme thread saved or bookmarked. I'll have to review it. Thanks again posting your build. deadeye.

New Recruit
    You're welcome, Deadeye. Please document yours, as well. I doubt this is the last one I'll build, and I love seeing how other folks do things.

So after fiddling around with my receiver, figuring out where the low spots are that were bindng against the bolt carrier, something dawned on me. We have this amazing mandrel that comes with our kits. It's called the bolt carrier.

So, I started positioning the bolt carrier right where it was sticking, chucked it in a big old vice, and pressed it from a couple of different angles, using the bolt carrier as a form. What do you know, but that bolt carrier slides completely free now, with bolts in it to hold it in it's welded position. The bolt carrier will show you where there's a problem, so just use that as your form.

Simple, and effective. Just to be safe, I took my carrier apart before doing this.