Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Warning about SR9 and PSG1 barrels produced by Rim Country Manufacturing

Jeff's a good guy and has built 3 Brazillion roller locks. He doesn't hand load though so, I'm guessing factory direct loads on the prove out grouping.

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    If it were my product I would be making it right rather than digging in - especially if its a one off problem rather than a growing snowball. They F'd up, it happens now and then, and if you're in business you just accept that and fix it. The loss is a drop in the bucket compared to the goodwill you gain by taking care of that one customer who then spreads your rep for you and gets you many new customers. This is basic stuff...
    Agreed, it does happen.
    Last edited by HKaltwasser; 10-03-2018 at 09:22 PM.

If Jeff says he shot that group, I believe him. He's always been a stand up guy (as far as I can tell from everything I've read online). A man's reputation is the only thing he takes with him to the end. I will post the results good or bad. It would be nice to know if the barrel he shot had the same chamber dimensions (freebore) that mine has.

I talked to him about that barrel this evening. He says that's really what it shot. Factory loaded ammo.

New Recruit Private
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    On Saturday I posted a thread in the "Range Report" section on HKPro asking for load info from any of the PSG1 builders that'd used the RCM barrels. The thread was still up on the forum at 2am but was moved to an area I don't have permission to access this morning. I'm assuming it's the Pro's version of cold storage.
    A silly rule on the Pro, they donít allow reloading talk that might be why it got nixed.

A silly rule on the Pro, they don’t allow reloading talk that might be why it got nixed.
    Thanks! I visit the clone section daily but almost never look at other sections.

The cerrosafe I ordered arrived Friday and I made many chamber casts in an attempt to get a really clean one. If you haven't tried to cast a Cetme/HK chamber in a rifle with a mounted barrel you're in for a treat. Moleman had a very good suggestion that made the job a bit easier, I packed the area inside the trunnion with plumbers putty to keep the metal out of the trunnion and guide it onto the chamber. The metal still had a long way to go being poured through the ejection port and wanted to cool too quickly. In the end I got usable casts from the RCM and a random used G3 barrel (for comparison purposes). I used a Keyance Measuring microscope at 20X to view rifling on the slugs.

HKRCMcombo#2.jpg

Next I put each slug on a Mitutoyo CV-3200 contracer (was also used for the trunnion study) and traced the contours from slightly behind the shoulder all the way down into the lands of the rifling to establish where the full land height is in relation to the rest of the cartridge. The images were not printed at the same scale so one looks bigger than the other, the numbers are what I pay attention to. It's not as bad as it looks at first glance. If you add the distances from the shoulder to the full land on each cartridge then subtract the G3 from the RCM you only end up with a .190" difference in gap, however the G3 barrel actually has a tighter neck diameter.

G3 Chamber Dimensions.jpg

RCM SR9 Chamber dimensions.jpg

RCM's chamber has a cone (.320" down to .3075" diameter at the lands) from the end of the cartridge neck to the lands. The G3 has the standard "tube" freebore, but it is also short enough to let the bullet touch the lands if desired. I emailed the 3 photos to RCM on Monday hoping that he'd say something if there was a discrepancy between my measurement and his reamer and heard nothing back so far.

In the meantime, the Gold Metal Match/Berger 185gr bullets arrived, my other test ammo is loaded and I changed scopes on the rifle. I will get to the range soon (on a day where I can take my time and do it justice) . My logic was to check the chamber before I start firing $1.25 cartridges.
    Last edited by holescreek; 10-09-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarification