Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrier not stripping round from mag

Veteran

Carrier not stripping round from mag

Itís been awhile but Iím getting back to my Cetme C build. Itís together, and Iíve noticed that the bolt wonít strip a round from the mag unless I push up on the mag or rest it on something causing pressure to push it up. Doing that allows it to strip a round no problem. Any suggestions on how to alleviate that?

Also my bolt gap is at .022 so I need + rollers correct? I just ordered +8 rollers.

If the bolt gap is .022" you need minus rollers. You're .002" over spec so I'd wait until you shoot it some to see where it settles into.

Veteran
    Man, why didn’t I ask you before buying those rollers??? You’ve helped me out when I first started on this, and I didn’t even think about it. Thanks for the info!

You may want to try a few more mags just to make sure it is not a mag issue.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Now that I'm on a real keyboard I can ask some questions about the mag issue. Have you tried other mags? If they are all doing it, it's possible that the bottom of the mag well is mismatched from side to side and isn't allowing the side stops on the magazine to sit evenly on the bottom of the mag well (one stop is holding the others back). Check that first then if it is uneven draw file the bottom of the mag well straight (if that is the problem).

If you take too much off you're going to have to make an adjustment to the window you cut on the left side for the mag catch to sit in and that's fairly complicated if you can't make fine welds on thin sheet metal.

It's really hard to guess what's wrong without seeing the problem.

Senior Veteran
    Bolt not getting a round out of the mag happens with some G3 mags in some military CETMEs, so check other mags first.
    It's not that common, but it happens.

He had problems with the mag catch alignment in the original build thread. I tried to paste a link but my phone isn't playing nice. There were alignment issues.

Original thread: http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...008#post354008
    Last edited by holescreek; 09-29-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Veteran
    I only have one other mag and it’s a polymer one. It won’t lock in at all. I did have to file a little metal off the one mag I have because it also wouldn’t lock in. I filed down the top of the cutout in the magvthst the release goes in. I did order another steel mag with my rollers, so I’ll see how that fits.

My attempt at installing the mag release in the receiver was terrible. The paddle release doesn’t work at all, and the mag release has to be pushed in to lock the mag in place. To release it, I have to push on the opposite side of the release, (on the right side of the receiver), to move the release out enough to drop the mag. There’s no spring to it at all. Not a big deal, and it’s something I can work on later, but I’m sure it has ally to do with the issue I’m having.

I’ll see how the other mag works, and return the + rollers I bought and get - ones. Thanks for the help, sorry for the late replies. For some reason I’m not getting notifications when there’s a new post.

Veteran
    Holescreek, youíre correct, the lips on the mag are not sitting flush on the bottom of both sides of the receiver. The mag was real loose and able to rock side to side quite a bit until I tapped the receiver sides a little bit on both sides. Now the mag is tighter, but again itís the lips arenít flush. They are flush on one side, but not the other. Again, having the mag sitting on something causes enough pressure to feed the round, so I know itís not seating correctly. Iím trying to figure out the best way to get the mag to seat higher.

Trust me, draw filing works very quickly. In case you've never draw filed, lay the file flat onto the surfaces (both mag well lips) so the file is perpendicular to the sides of the receiver and keeping the file in contact with both surfaces push and pull it to the front and rear of the mag well. Just put more pressure on the high side of the mag well and take a little bit off at a time while checking the mag contact every so often.

Here is a very short video I found on Google just to give you the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ykATcpyovU