Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The newest operational CETME in the club...

Veteran

The newest operational CETME in the club...

I can't begin to express how stoked I am this afternoon!!! After 6 months of learning, demilling, building, and second guessing myself, I now have a fully functional CETME than runs like a TOP!!! I only shot 60 rounds, of both Wolf steel cased .308 and Malaysian brass cased 7.62 NATO, but they both fed, fired, extracted, and ejected flawlessly!!! I used 10 different magazines...1 20 round CETME, 4 steel G3, and 5 aluminum G3. I fired 3 rounds individually first to test for basic function in three different mags, then three mags with 2 rounds apiece to check for "multiples" (i.e. full auto), then a mag with 5 rounds, then one with 6 rounds, which finished off the Wolf. Then 2 mags with twenty rounds apiece of the Malaysian brass 7.62. PERFECT!! The only trouble I had was the triple tree, which isn't permanently installed yet...I had drilled and tapped for a set screw, which I THOUGHT would hold it...but it kept walking forward every 10 rounds or so.I just tapped it back into place as needed. 100% perfect function...WOW!! Talk about exciting!! I started off with a bolt gap measured at .016, with -4 rollers, and when I got home it measured .009. I am a bit concerned as to whether this was an excessive drop. I installed the "0" rollers, and it is now at .014-.015. I will continue to monitor that. It cocks and operates easily and smooth as silk. I'm BEYOND giddy!! I want to thank Holescreek for his help and patience... I couldn't have done it without your guidance!!! HOORAY!!!
    Last edited by SgtHorvak; 10-01-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Veteran
    A tiny picture of the rifle, and a target that felt its wrath.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good to hear!

Sounds like your barrel pin is too small. Hit it with a punch and hammer and see if it moves.

Veteran
    God, I hope not!! Talk about a potential buzzkill! I can't get a real good hit on it, as the pin didn't line up very well with the hole in the receiver flat. I can only get a corner of it, but I can't really see that it's moving. It doesn't seem to be. When I pinned it, it drove in pretty hard. Suggestions?

If it isn't moving it's either tight or bent. Either way, call it good as long as you have a good gap!

Veteran
    Yeah, I think I will shoot it a couple of more times and monitor what happens. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it has stabilized. If it hasn't, I'll enlarge the holes to get at the barrel pin. But I ain't gonna sweat it for now...I'm just gonna bask in the afterglow of seeing this project through and experiencing the sweet push into my shoulder of a CETME in recoil!!

congrats on getting a shooter!

now you just need it to have friends in the safe with it!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Veteran
    Thanks!! It feels GREAT to be "in the club "!! She has plenty of friends in the safe...although only two with a German heritage...a K98 and a Stg44 (ok, it's only a .22 replica). I DO, however, have another CETME flat that I bought as a contingency plan, and a kit that I bought to either build (!!) or to have for spares, though...hmmm.

If you have a flat and a kit you're already half way there. Winter's coming!

Veteran
    NOW CUT THAT OUT!!! After stressing and obsessing over the CETME that I just shot yesterday, I need to let my blood pressure settle down a bit!! I really just bought the second flat and kit in case I screwed the pooch with the first attempt. When Apex had their kits on sale a few weeks ago, I bit the bullet and got another as backup or as a source of spares. I WILL admit, though, that the second flat IS folded already!!
    Last edited by SgtHorvak; 10-01-2018 at 01:04 PM.