Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The newest operational CETME in the club...

I bought a pile of flats when ORF was going out of business in 2010. The kits go on sale often enough that I've amassed quite a collection. After awhile you get bored with the same old thing and have to get creative just to keep it interesting. I think I have one ORF flat left from that original pile.

I said I was done building Cetme's 5 years ago.

Congrats on ur build! Looks good and thanks for sharing info and pictures on it.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Veteran

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Congrats on ur build! Looks good and thanks for sharing info and pictures on it.
    Thanks!! Today I am really excited...I just DuraCoated it this morning, and it looks pretty durn good!! I'm gonna give it the full (or close to it) curing period of 3-4 weeks that they recommend, before I re-assemble it. But I'll post a few more pictures of her with her new finish here when she's back together.

I just did a paint "repair" with Duracoat on my GHG1 after cutting off and rewelding the trunnion extension back on. Dry to the touch in 20 minutes, usable without fear of damage in 48 hours, continues curing for 3-4 weeks (depending on humidity). I applied the base color one day and three more colors the next without waiting for each color to dry to the touch the second day. I was amazed at how much heat the old paint was able to withstand when I tig welded the extension back on.

Veteran
    I feel good about my choice of coatings, then, if YOU have used the same stuff!! I was pleased with how easily and smoothly it went on. I went with Tactical Flat Black, and if it wears well, I'm gonna be really happy with it!!

This is the rifle I had to touch up a couple weeks ago, the original paint was done in 2010. The area in front of the mag well and behind the bipod is new and I didn't have any of the base color left over. Luckily the pattern is wild enough that it isn't obvious.

2v2JrcSivxAjwmD.jpg

I Duracoated until roughly 2012 when I got set up for parkerizing and now only Duracoat occasionally. I like the paint but it's way too expensive. I used some old bottles of paint left over from 2010 on the rifle above, I thinned it with a little laquer thinner and it was fine. I use laquer thinner for equipment clean up too, way cheaper than the DUracoat stuff.

Veteran
    WOW!!! That's an AMAZING paint job!! I would never guess that it had been repaired.DuraCoat ain't cheap, for sure. I rationalized it by figuring that if I took it to a shop, I would spend more than the $50 that I spent for the paint, easily. I just hope it wears fairly well.

Veteran
    Duracoat is a custom tinting and packaging of Sherwin-Williams Polane industrial urethane. It's VERY good paint, and even buying it from S-W isn't cheap. (Think 500+ per gallon...) Urethane reducer from your local automotive paint supply is exactly the same stuff as duracoat thinners, and lacquer thinner works pretty good too.

I used it on my VZ58 build for the first time and it has held up to MANY 30rnd clips back-to-back until the handguards were too hot to touch with gloves on, and has never peeled, darkened, or burned away, even under the handguards. I've also not had any chips or deep scratches, even on the bolt carrier where it slides under the top cover.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Duracoat is a custom tinting and packaging of Sherwin-Williams Polane industrial urethane. It's VERY good paint, and even buying it from S-W isn't cheap. (Think 500+ per gallon...) Urethane reducer from your local automotive paint supply is exactly the same stuff as duracoat thinners, and lacquer thinner works pretty good too.

I used it on my VZ58 build for the first time and it has held up to MANY 30rnd clips back-to-back until the handguards were too hot to touch with gloves on, and has never peeled, darkened, or burned away, even under the handguards. I've also not had any chips or deep scratches, even on the bolt carrier where it slides under the top cover.
    It's good to hear that you've had such an awesome experience with it. I feel like I made the right choice!!