Thread: Calling all "M-97" Trench Gun Experts !.... I need some tech information !

Calling all "M-97" Trench Gun Experts !.... I need some tech information !

Alright guys,..... I'm working out a deal with a friend on a trade... But he's coming up a little short.. So he tells me he has a extremely early 1897 Trench gun barreled receiver... (project) That pre-dates WWI.... Here's what I know so far,... And my concerns.

Okay,... I know the first 1897 Winchester "Trench Guns" showed up during the "The Philippine-American War".... But there are very few examples.

This Barreled receiver has a rigidly mounted 21-1/2" Cyl. Bore barrel, The Serial number puts the build date as 1904....But this is where It gets a little sketchy for me.... Just in front of the ejection port, It has a "US" Stamp over the flaming bomb ordinance stamp... It has the grove under the barrel for the Heat Shield / bayonet mount.....And that's it. Nothing else.

Now,.. I will tell you I have owned a few later M-97's in the past... But the ordinance stamps were on the left side of the receiver, very low and near the rear of the receiver. But I'm not at all sure of the correct stamping for a "trench Gun" with a manufacture date of 1904... So, I need your help. Anybody know for sure what to look for as far as stamping is concerned ?..... Cause I'm pretty stumped on this one. (I've never been a student of these firearms)

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this subject !
    Last edited by Harms Way; 10-20-2018 at 06:21 PM.
    A Sinner saved by Grace,... EPH. 2: 8-9

don't know about the particulars of IDing a military trench gun, but I will tell you for a barreled receiver it's not worth very much, no matter if you find that it's legit, it's simply wouldn't be worth more then a 100 bucks IMO.
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

Anybody ?..... Somebody must have information on Pre-WWI M-97 Trench Guns ??

Here are the markings on the receiver,
    Picture 109.jpg
    Last edited by Harms Way; 11-18-2018 at 01:01 AM.
    A Sinner saved by Grace,... EPH. 2: 8-9