Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer Season

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    nice...

its not even legal gun season here yet & they have been lighting the woods up on the farm on the far side of me. it belongs to the local elks club & they have had people blasting over there all weekend.
    Our modern gun started 10 days ago and runs to 2 Dec. They have a 3-4 day after Christmas hunt. Bow season is nearly 4 months long and muzzle loader also gets extra days to hunt. Oh, we also have an early
    modern gun property owners hunt for 7 days. IIRC that is does only.

My renter who lives on 40 acres I bought earlier this year got a 7 pt yesterday on it. Told him he could take a couple if he wanted, but seem to have more fun watching them than shooting one.
    He bought a big smoker and we wanted some deer jerky so he finally pulled the trigger on one.

Think that makes 7 taken so far on my place - 6 bucks and 1 doe. Still thick as flies around here, so I will likely take one this week myself for jerky. Kind of a sorry way to hunt,
    but I can just step outside late afternoon and pick out one to shoot.

On another note anyone else run into Black Coyotes. I have a big jet Black one hanging around. It was about 50 yards off in field this morning. Saw me and I yelled at it and it just
    look at me. Finally it slowly walked off, not away from me, but parallel to me across the field. I hate to, but afraid I will have to shoot it. Had another hen missing this morning.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I don't like shooting any animal that I don't have to but I had to shoot a Coyote last year that seamed to be stalking my little dogs out in the yard. The wife actually told me to shoot it and she is a big time animal lover.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    I don't like shooting any animal that I don't have to but I had to shoot a Coyote last year that seamed to be stalking my little dogs out in the yard. The wife actually told me to shoot it and she is a big time animal lover.
    ill shoot ANY coyote I can get the trigger on...there was a dirty white one around a couple years ago.....saw it one time...never again...probably a cross breed....KILL THEM ALL they will kill any fawn that they can find....
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Quote Originally Posted by Silvera View Post
    ill shoot ANY coyote I can get the trigger on...there was a dirty white one around a couple years ago.....saw it one time...never again...probably a cross breed....KILL THEM ALL they will kill any fawn that they can find....
    ^^^ same here.

firm believer in not killing any animals that we dont eat....... but yote's are the exception. they dont just kill fawns around here, they kill smaller dogs, calves, chickens & anything else they can catch.

& it seems that at my new location they are getting bigger/bulkier, not to mention as Buckshot said: they are not afraid of people now days. there is no "bounty" actually paid on them, but if you get your hunting license (YES i do have mine) the ODNR actually encourages thinning them out with no limit on amount taken.

interestingly enough: Ohio has some pretty strict laws on deer hunting... those do NOT apply to coyotes.. you can use pretty much anything you want including silencer, nightvision, thermal & HP rifle (you cant hunt deer with HP rifle in Ohio)
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Your right it has got to go, even though it is unusual (Black). In addition to missing another hen if my young Corgi, who thinks it is his duty to protect his family (people and animals) sees
    it he will not back down. He has the big dog attitude, but not the big dog size to win a fight with it.

About an 2 hours after I saw the Black Coyote my brother and I went out in fields to look over cows/calves and saw a Jet Black squirrel in grove just east of house. We have never seen
    one before. Black coyote Black squirrels, must be something in the water (LOL).

Looked like this one--
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible