Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: G3 Magazine Reference Guide

Okiedokie. I took a few pictures for comparison purposes. This is only a sampling of some of the magazines I personally own and is in no way intended to be considered authoritative or comprehensive.

First some steel HK magazines:

Moving from left to right we have a military January 1961, a military November 1961 and a commercial "IB" date code which means it was made in 1981.

Floor plates of the same magazines listed above and in the same order:

Typical HK military marking:

Typical HK commercial marking:

Next are some Rheinmetall magazines:

All are military and from left to right we have May 1961, November 1961 and January 1962

Floorplates of the above magazines in the same order:

Two pictures showing variation in markings:

Some aluminum magazines:

From left to right we have an October 1985 HK, June 1965 Rheinmetall, March 1966 Norwegian and a July 1965 Portuguese.

Closeups of the above magazine markings.

HK:

Notice there is no NSN (Nato Stock Number) on this magazine.

Rheinmetall:

It does have the NSN. 1005-12-127-7057. This is essentially a part number. All NATO countries which use this magazine also use this same number. It identifies this part as a standard aluminum magazine for a G3 type rifle regardless of which NATO country made it. I assume the steel magazines have a different NSN but I don't know what it is.

Norwegian:

Portuguese:

The floorplates are made of steel.

Markings on the spine.
    Generally, all military magazines should have a stamp on the spine near the top. In its most basic terms, it is a military acceptance proof and it means that the magazine has passed quality inspection and had been given the green light for issue and use. Interestingly, the aluminum HK magazine has no such proof just as it has no NSN. I didn't take a picture because there is nothing to see. Perhaps this particular magazine was part of a batch for a non-NATO country? I do not know.

Aluminum Rheinmetall:

This is a stylized eagle with its wings spread around a number. What "BWB" means is described by Scott in post #25. As for the number, you will see an assortment of three digit codes each being issued to a different inspector. The Germans like to overcomplicate things.

Norwegian:

The presence of a "75" inside the shield leads me to believe that these guys overcomplicate things too.

Portuguese:

A couple acceptance stamps on two steel magazines:

Notice in the above pictures that all of the aluminum magazines have a little extra reinforcement to the top of the spine fastened with a rivet. This is not seen on the steel military magazines BUT steel commercial magazines do have it as is shown below:

On the left is a steel HK dated January 1961 and on the right is a 1981 HK commercial. I'm not aware of Rheinmetall ever having produced commercial magazines. I'd be willing to bet that you would find a bunch of the "commercial" magazines locked into military rifles back in the 1980's-90's.

Last picture is a comparison of the followers in a steel and an aluminum magazine. They look to be identical to me.
    Last edited by Combloc; 01-13-2019 at 01:33 AM.

When you mentioned the magazines without the nsn numbers possibly being for non nato countries that makes a lot of sense. Lots of good information there Combloc thanks. I wish I had more magazines to find more variances and possibly narrow down when changes started to be made but that will have to wait for the moment. What is your latest non commercial steel one you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
    Okiedokie. I took a few pictures for comparison purposes. This is only a sampling of some of the magazines I personally own and is in no way intended to be considered authoritative or comprehensive.

First some steel HK magazines:

Moving from left to right we have a military January 1961, a military November 1961 and a commercial "IB" date code which means it was made in 1981.

Floor plates of the same magazines listed above and in the same order:

Typical HK military marking:

Typical HK commercial marking:

Next are some Rheinmetall magazines:

All are military and from left to right we have May 1961, November 1961 and January 1962

Two pictures showing variation in markings:

Some aluminum magazines:

From left to right we have an October 1985 HK, June 1965 Rheinmetall, March 1966 Norwegian and a July 1965 Portuguese.

Closeups of the above magazine markings.

HK:

Notice there is no NSN (Nato Stock Number) on this magazine.

Rheinmetall:

It does have the NSN. 1005-12-127-7057. This is essentially a part number. All NATO countries which use this magazine also use this same number. It identifies this part as a standard aluminum magazine for a G3 type rifle regardless of which NATO country made it. I assume the steel magazines have a different NSN but I don't know what it is.

Norwegian:

Portuguese:

The floorplates are made of steel.

Markings on the spine.
    Generally, all military magazines should have a stamp on the spine near the top. In its most basic terms, it is a military acceptance proof and it means that the magazine has passed quality inspection and had been given the green light for issue and use. Interestingly, the aluminum HK magazine has no such proof just as it has no NSN. I didn't take a picture because there is nothing to see. Perhaps this particular magazine was part of a batch for a non-NATO country? I do not know.

Aluminum Rheinmetall:

This is a stylized eagle with its wings spread around a number. What "BWB" is described by Scott in post #25. As for the number, you will see an assortment of three digit codes each being issued to a different inspector. The Germans like to overcomplicate things.

Norwegian:

The presence of a "75" inside the shield leads me to believe that these guys overcomplicate things too.

Portuguese:

A couple acceptance stamps on two steel magazines:

Notice in the above pictures that all of the aluminum magazines have a little extra reinforcement to the top of the spine fastened with a rivet. This is not seen on the steel military magazines BUT steel commercial magazines do have it as is shown below:

On the left is a steel HK dated January 1961 and on the right is a 1981 HK commercial. I'm not aware of Rheinmetall ever having produced commercial magazines. I'd be willing to bet that you would find a bunch of the "commercial" magazines locked into military rifles back in the 1980's-90's.

Last picture is a comparison of the followers in a steel and an aluminum magazine. They look to be identical to me.
    Great pictures and information.
    Thanks.
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Found these ones with different markings on an old site. Anybody have one of these?

Norwegian - Kongsberg
    Attachment 55081

Portuguese - FMP
    Attachment 55082
    I have several of the Norwegian - Kongsberg mags and others.
    Need to dig them back out and post some pictures later.
    Thanks for the information and pictures.
    31B

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    I have several of the Norwegian - Kongsberg mags and others.
    Need to dig them back out and post some pictures later.
    Thanks for the information and pictures.

Your welcome!

I need to look through all of mine now to see what I have. I need to find a Norwegian, Portuguese, and a Rheinmetall. So far, all of mine are HK G3 This post is going to cost me money! Lol

Great post on these mags. Full of good info. I have learned a lot. It should become a "sticky" for reference. Maybe change the title to "G3 magazine reference guide"
    Last edited by scottz63; 01-12-2019 at 09:36 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I never thought much about who or when the mags were made, only if they worked in my rifles until this thread came up. I had to round up a few and take a look. I now know that all my steel mags are comm.HK. and the Al. mags are all sorts. I have a couple of the FMP and the K Al. mags. Thanks for all the great pics and info.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    This is a very informative thread and needs to be made a sticky.

So I looked through all of my mags and all are G3 Hk, except one oddball out of the bunch. One I have not seen in this thread or anywhere else. It is just marked HK centered with no G3. It also has 2 military acceptance marks with 2 different numbers in the marks. Has anybody seen one like this or have one? I have never seen one without G3 marked except for the commercial ones but those don't have HK marked.

g3mag4.jpg

g3mag3.jpg

g3mag5.jpg
    Last edited by scottz63; 01-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.

that is a oddball for sure. Especially the double stamping. If someone has any like this please post them up with their dates. We might be able to come up with some ideas of what it is then. I have that vertically marked 10/64 aluminum witch is not so it’s possible it was meant for export to a non nato country? I also noticed on my 10/64 it doesn’t have a acceptance mark on the spine.

Senior Veteran
    Maybe my oddball magazine was made for this:

From Wikipedia
    G3A5: HK assigned model number for the HK-made Danish version of the G3A3. It differs in that it has a silent bolt-closure device. In Danish service it is known as the Gv M/66. The Gv M/66 was originally intended for use with optics as a designated marksman rifle.
    Maybe HK made this mag for Denmark but left out the G3 part because it was designated M66, not G3. Maybe the double inspection marks because it had a design change to the bolt and HK wanted to make sure the mags worked properly with it. Or maybe one inspection mark is German and the other is Denmark. My mag is dated 10/66 and the Dv M/66 was made in late 1966.

Who knows, just a theory.
    Last edited by scottz63; 01-13-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Senior Veteran
    Only have the aluminium ones on hand, but oldest I have is from 64 (diamond in circle above date, long code string perpendicular to it). From 1965 a Crowned K with the long code, from 67 without it.
    Newest is from 79 (HK mark, no "long code" besides it).
    All floor-plates steel, with the "3 rectangles" pattern.

Got them all from a single German base, more than a decade ago, with unissued double pouches (the ones with the 4-peg system, dark green, stamped 1988) still in plastic bags. A few mags show some (or a lot) of wear. A few of the middle-sixties look almost unused, no scratches on the paint.

Now, were did I put the steel ones?

Edit: get a failure message trying to upload the photos, so I'll just describe them.
    Last edited by Sampedro; 01-14-2019 at 02:06 PM.