Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSL SBR project

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    LMAO...

Don, you already know that i suck at range reports. im just not that good of a shooter. i point at it, shoot it & it either hits or misses.

this barrel is currently right at 10", but if i change the piston set up again it will probably come on down to 8.5". this is Your area, but im gonna guess that since the powder is still burning in 54R at 24" down the factory barrel & all that jazz... that at 1/3rd of that... im wasting a lot & dont really have a lot of bullet stabilization?

interested in hearing your take on that.

for me an SBR of this length is just a pistol with a stock on it, so im expecting to get pistol results at 30'. If i can hit gallon jugs with it at that distance? its done what its supposed to. :-)
    That thing is going to have a HUGE fireball! It's going to annoy the crap out of everyone near you. Sounds like fun! Lol
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Scott,

you mean like this one?

night_ak.jpg
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran
    Scott,

you mean like this one?

night_ak.jpg
    Lol! Yup.

Well Sean, I've set back as long as I can just to see if you had any idea how you would want it to perform. I have to say I like the way your thinking, point shoot hit or miss, it's still a big 30cal round coming at you. With 8 or 10 in. of barrel I would like to think the round wouldn't keyhole before thirty yards. It will be fun if you just find out how far it spins the bullet before it tumbles.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

its ALIVE!!!

got my first sets of test fires out of it last nite. the picture up above was a 1" SS AK47 pistol. this PSL made a pretty similar fireball... but a whole lot more recoil/repercussion. :-)

now gonna go back clean it all up, finish up & put the finish to it. hope to have video & a cleaned up thread this weekend.

about that accuracy:
    was about 30' away from my shoot box & put 11 rounds on a medium rate priority mail box. THINK thats a 14x18" target? no keyhole marks & looked to be about a 6" spread at the biggest.

that should make Don cringe, but for just testing it out & not knowing how it was gonna handle? im ok with that. havent even crowned the barrel yet. (got excited & forgot)

Senior Veteran
    Nice! It lives. Can't wait to see some pics and video.

got my guard mount point sorted.. will try to weld it on here another day when my hands are steadier. too shaky today.

here is another pix after shooting, before pretty up.

20190123_170213(1).jpg

crap... just saw that id already posted this pic. brain just not that good now days.
    Last edited by sdk1968; 01-24-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: forgot pix

Senior Veteran
    This pic is a bit different, it has fire control group parts in it.

Senior Veteran
    LMAO...

Don, you already know that i suck at range reports. im just not that good of a shooter. i point at it, shoot it & it either hits or misses.

this barrel is currently right at 10", but if i change the piston set up again it will probably come on down to 8.5". this is Your area, but im gonna guess that since the powder is still burning in 54R at 24" down the factory barrel & all that jazz... that at 1/3rd of that... im wasting a lot & dont really have a lot of bullet stabilization?

interested in hearing your take on that.

for me an SBR of this length is just a pistol with a stock on it, so im expecting to get pistol results at 30'. If i can hit gallon jugs with it at that distance? its done what its supposed to. :-)
    Hey sdk. Your square in the middle of an experiment I haven't tried lol! Bullet stabilization is a function of velocity, weight, and rate of twist. By the copious muzzle flash I'd try a powder with a faster burn rate. At a guess, I'm not sure you could find a load that burns most the powder in that short barrel without getting blow-up chamber pressure. Hodgdon H4895 is a good powder for .30 calibers like 7.62x54, and they say it can be safely downloaded to 60% of max. For 150g. light ball that would be about 30g. I'd start there and check for function. Key holing and chambering the next round.

That thing reminds me of one of my favorite Huey Lewis songs. "My futures so bright, I gotta wear shades" lol!

Point, shoot, and it hits or misses? Are you sure your not shooting my Taurus 9mm lol!
    Last edited by Don in IA; 01-25-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Don,

your a master shooter & reloader..... im not even in your league.

im not qualified in either area. my area is building stuff & getting it to run safely & im a garage builder then.

YES anyone who shoots this at my place will be required to wear glasses, gloves & earpons.

gonna go back & ad in some of the "technical" stuff earlier in the posts. (done!)

will post more pix when the finish is as good as its gonna get.
    Last edited by sdk1968; 01-28-2019 at 09:50 AM.