Thread: 7.62x39 ammo

Senior Veteran

7.62x39 ammo

What's the current favored brand these days? I picked up some Golden Tiger FMJ and it shoots ok, but maybe some HP would be a good idea. SGAmmo has some deals on. Wolf, Tula, Red Army, the list goes on. 7.62x39 is the only caliber I can't load cheaper than buy. What have you run recently? What do you like, and more importantly, what would you stay away from and why? I don't like the way the next election is shaping up and have components to load everything else so if I want to shoot the green Mak90 I need to lay in a few rounds. Thanks for the help.

Senior Veteran

I have only shot Wolf and Tula 7.62x39, a lot of both. Wolf has always been my go-to though. Never had a failure out of either in 25+ years of shooting. I am starting to back away from Tula anything, really dirty and underpowered. I have not shot any of the other brands.

Wolf would be my choice.

Edit: SGAmmo has some of the best prices on cases of Wolf. $179.50 per 1000 rd. case.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-...ssic-made-russ FMJ

https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf-...assic-made-rus HP
    Last edited by scottz63; 02-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I bought whatever is cheap and stocked it deep, deep, deep. I'm happy to say I won't need to buy ammo for a long, long time to come
    STAY SICK! AND TURN BLUE OVA-DEY!

I've got Wolf, Golden Tiger, Some Barnaul, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, & Yugo. I think there's some other stuff laying around...I forget, but I've always liked the old Wolf a lot with GT falling in behind that, and the Bears are okay too. Yugo kinda corrosive, though great shooting. Had some Tula and thought it crap.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulardi View Post
    I bought whatever is cheap and stocked it deep, deep, deep. I'm happy to say I won't need to buy ammo for a long, long time to come
    ditto yep on that....cheap...and I have enough set back for me...no sharing
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

If I remember well the GT is the only production that uses a boat tail projectile. It shoots very well in my CZ bolt 39. Wolf in the black box is OK and their military classic has always done well by me. Like others I stay away from Tula. I have reloaded some for my RPD but I'll have to look back to remember what I used.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    I was looking at the Wolf Military Classic and will try some of that. Thanks for the help.

Wolf MC is good too Don. It has the proper stink to go with the Wolf moniker too.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    I'll wrap this thread up for now. Nothing I like better than spending other peoples $, so you all have a grin coming. The Wolf HP got here today. If it shoots as good as it looks I'll be happy. I now have a good assortment of ammo to do a test in my "experiment" thread. This Wolf, GT, some generic Russian 123HP in a white box with a 95 head stamp that I bought the same day as the rifle, and even found 20 rds. of Win. white box 123FMJ I also bought that day. I also have some reloads from 96. Found some 123FMJ loaded over 25g and 26.5g of AA1680. Also found some of those 118g cast FP's I've been having luck with in the Enfield loaded over 8.5g of AA#5. That's where these bullets came from. Experiment was a total fail as I recall, but will find out when it warms up lol! I need to get all those vintage loads gone so I can try those Berry 123 plated bullets I got to try in the Enfield and Mosin. They're made for AK's so might as well see if they'll work in one lol!

I can't recommend SGAmmo.com enough. Right price, fast shipping, never a problem. To maximize the shipping I also got a box of .30 Carbine PPU soft points for the Carbine ammo test, a box of Federal bulk .22HP's for the .22 ammo test, and 2 kinds of 20ga. buckshot to see what the shotgun home defense scenario is all about. All for another $3 shipping. No need to look anywhere else. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

IMG_1025.JPG