Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio Grande Wild Turkey

Eastern Wild Turkey

Rio Grande wild turkeys are native to Arkansas, but in the 13 years I have been on this farm I only have had one possible sighting.
    The land I have, with the adjacent land my brother now owns, seems ideal for turkey's. Several good ponds, creeks, improved pastures,
    brush and tree cover and is isolated by terrain from me ever having nearby neighbors, poaching or stray dog problems. We do
    have the usual varmints/predators you would find in this part of the state.

BTW Wild turkeys populations in North America (just like the deer) were decimated in 1800s and early 1900s due to over hunting/poaching,
    terrain changes with the settlement of the land. They have come back since then (with some success) due to better game management and
    restocking efforts.

I grew up around domesticated turkeys as a kid and kind of miss having a few around. Back then we still commercially raised the
    browns, that reminded me of the wild ones, but now it all the commercial turkeys are the huge breasted whites. A helpless
    commercial bird does not appeal to me.

Anyway the state does not want live wild turkey's imported in, but I believe I have found a instate source for adult Rio Grande turkeys.
    They are confined birds, but at least the real wild turkeys. Not cheap though.

Anyway, with by brother and a nephew all in for a project I plan on going ahead and getting some. No, we are not going to just dump
    them out in the woods and hope for the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-31-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

wow those are some fine birds!

thanks for sharing!
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran

That sounds like a very cool project. I love watching wild turkeys. We have many wild turkeys here in Missouri. I see them all the time driving around the back roads, along the highways, at the shooting range, ect. They even come through my just out of the city limits backyard once in awhile.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    That sounds like a very cool project. I love watching wild turkeys. We have many wild turkeys here in Missouri. I see them all the time driving around the back roads, along the highways, at the shooting range, ect. They even come through my just out of the city limits backyard once in awhile.
    There does not seem to be a successful population in my neck of the woods, although it seems ideal country for them. There may be reasons for it that escape me (yea, there is always predators,
    but all areas have them).

Gottta have turkey out there. Don't like killing them, but then again can't stand the taste of domestic birds either.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Senior Veteran
    A worthy endeavor, I wish you great success with that project.

Between 97 and 08 I lived in a cabin on the local river. The land behind is part of the county park that has my local shooting range, and being in city limits with no hunting, the turkey are numerous. The 2 things I miss the most from that place was watching the wildlife stroll thru the yard, and watching the trains roll by on the high bank across the river.

That sounds like a very good thing you are doing.

Several years ago we had a lease next to the Johnson Ranch.
    There were several large flocks of turkeys, so every year I would get one turkey and a small doe each time we went hunting.
    No one in my family would eat either one of them.
    We had a preacher 2 doors down that was very happy to take them and give the meat away to those that needed food.

I had just about quit hunting but my dad still loved it, but could not go hunting by himself.
    So my brother and I would take turns going with him.
    He hunted up to the year he died.

Sorry about the rambling, but it reminded me of hunting with my dad. That was some good times to remember.

RON
    31B

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    That sounds like a very good thing you are doing.

Several years ago we had a lease next to the Johnson Ranch.
    There were several large flocks of turkeys, so every year I would get one turkey and a small doe each time we went hunting.
    No one in my family would eat either one of them.
    We had a preacher 2 doors down that was very happy to take them and give the meat away to those that needed food.

I had just about quit hunting but my dad still loved it, but could not go hunting by himself.
    So my brother and I would take turns going with him.
    He hunted up to the year he died.

Sorry about the rambling, but it reminded me of hunting with my dad. That was some good times to remember.

RON
    Some of my best and meaningful memories are of hunting with my Dad.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

My father was also a hunter. Great shot too..used one rifle for everything. An older .270 700ADL selected and ordered for him by an old smith. He's gone but it's still his.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Speaking of family as I mentioned my brother, nephews, sister (and others) all want to get involved, so it will be a nice family project. We all enjoy wildlife and being around animals
    in general, even the young ones. BTW my nephew said he heard Road Runners were tough on turkey eggs. We have always had a good number of them around so I will have to
    check that out. They will be initially confined for protection and settling in, plus probably keep them that way for initial nesting. I also have an incubator and could collect some
    eggs and see how I do with it on them. See how thing go with this and be flexible with our plans.

Right now I am looking at 3-4 spots with water and a variety of cover to put up a secured coop. I don't think it would be a good idea to put it next to home site. I don't
    want them overly tame. Probably a month to set that up. I will contact the source and see if I can secure some birds for pickup may end of March. I will keep you all
    informed how it goes, good or bad.