Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest acquisition: CMP Service Grade Quality Hardware M1 Carbine

My latest acquisition: CMP Service Grade Quality Hardware M1 Carbine

I love my Mini-30 so much, I seldom bothered to shoot my Mini-14. When an opportunity to trade my 186 Mini-14 for a USGI M1 carbine popped up, I jumped on it. I happened to be there the morning the carbine was brought in. I saw it on the wall of the LGS office, and noticed it was in an Italian FAT 77 stock, so I figured it was a CMP. I was right. The owner had ordered a Service grade from CMP about 2008. I had brought in my Mini-14 to see about trading for a different rifle, but worked with my buddy who owns the shop, so I could trade the Mini-14 straight across for the carbine.

It was a CMP Service Grade Quality Hardware made in early 1944. It has the correct original Rockola barrel and Quality Hardware bolt, but the rest is mix-master of Rock-Ola and Inland parts. ME is only "1" so it should be a great shooter! It was in an Italian stock with the FAT 77 arsenal stamp on it, but I found a correct Quality Hardware stock on Ebay for $70.

I broke it all the way down to to a thorough cleaning and check and replace springs as needed. I have been working on Carbines since 1980, and still have extra NOS USGI springs and small parts. The recoil spring was degraded and was only 10" long. I replaced it with a NOS USGI that was 10 1/4".

This thing had LOTS of cosmolene inside the trigger housing and bolt. I stripped it all down, cleaned it, and used Ballistol to lube. The ejector spring was solid with hard, dead cosmo, I pulled it out, cleaned out its channel, and replaced with a fresh NOS late model ejector and NOS spring. Extractor looks good, but I gave that a fresh NOS spring also.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 03-11-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Though I live in a area in the mountains where everyone has 3-20 acres, (moving back in closer to town in June) I generally refrain from shooting where I live, except whacking coyote that come in too close to the house. I decided however, a couple shots from the carbine would not irritate the neighbors, as occasional gunshots in these woods are fairly common. that I wanted to see how close the Type II sight was.

The sight housing is centered in the bridge, and the sight ramp is about centered in the housing. It appears to have the original, unaltered front sight. Leaning on the back deck, I held a 6 o'clock hold on a softball sized rock (crumbly decomposed granite) about 80 yards away, and fired a shot of my Rainier copper plated lead 110s over 14.6 grains of WW296. Smacked the rock dead center and made it into gravel. Sighted on another crumbly rock 5 yards farther and duplicated it! I will dial it in at the range later, but that seems pretty good to me!

Good fine! They are great little carbines, easy to handle, don't beat you up and pretty accurate within reasonable range.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Yep, probably one of the must under estimated weapons out there. NOT a pistol cartridge, with a 110 grain JSP at 1970 FPS with about 970 ft lbs. ME. It was designed as a PDW, and works well. In the close up and personal fighting in the Pacific and Villages and town of Europe in WW II, and in the Jungles of Vietnam, it worked great. In Korea, where they tried to use it s a rifle at 300 yards and more (and used untrained full-auto spray and pray), it was lacking because it was not designed for 300 yards! My dad fought with one on Iwo Jima, as did his brothers elsewhere in the Pacific. He said it never let him down, and he was there during the night of the big Banzai charge. I killed a 200 pound Blacktail deer at 100 yards with a single heart/ling shot using a R-P 110 grain JSP.

Senior Veteran

Beautiful! Nice trade. I love the M1 Carbine's, great little rifles. This makes me want to take mine out and shoot it, maybe Sunday.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

I also have an AR-15 and a Mini-30. The M1 Carbine, however, is my favorite rifle to shoot. The Mini-30 is a very close second, by the M1 Carbine is tops. An M1 Carbine was the first centerfire rifle I ever shot. I was 10 (1962) and visiting my cousin, who was a US Postal Inspector in Kentucky. We went to a rock quarry, and we were shooting at cans with the M1 Carbine. At 60 yards I hit a "Bubble Up" can (early competitor to 7 Up) dead center. I had that can for years, losing it in a move about 30 years later.

Senior Veteran

Yes, they are very fun to shoot and very accurate. I had my IBM out at the 100 yard range last year and shot a three round group at a hair over 1 MOA with it from a bench rest. People at the line were amazed, as well as me! Lol

It was a bit low because I forgot to move the rear sights up a notch.

M1Car100.jpg
    Last edited by scottz63; 03-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Nice shooting! In about 1983, I had an unmolested DCM Winchester with flip sight. One time I took it to the Bothell WA range to shoot. The range master told me I better shoot at 25 yards, instead of 100 yards. He said EVERYONE knows M1 Carbines are inaccurate. I shot at 100 yards anyway, and could cover ten shots with a half dollar. He was flabergasted!

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
    Nice shooting! In about 1983, I had an unmolested DCM Winchester with flip sight. One time I took it to the Bothell WA range to shoot. The range master told me I better shoot at 25 yards, instead of 100 yards. He said EVERYONE knows M1 Carbines are inaccurate. I shot at 100 yards anyway, and could cover ten shots with a half dollar. He was flabergasted!
    Thanks! A lot of people don't think much of these fantastic little carbine's. Their mistake.

Senior Veteran

Does your replacement stock have a crossed cannons cartouche on it? I love seeing those.