Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from the range and……….

Just got back from the range and……….

……….. I am not a happy camper!

First, I arrive at my club range to find that, since my last visit, the electronic gate has crapped out. They have the old gate closed and locked with the old chain and padlock which no one bothered to send me the combo for. I lay on my horn until the CRO shows up and unlocks it for me. I then proceed to the Jeff Cooper pistol bays and the fun begins.

My main goal for this trip was to wring out the new Glock 42 .380 and sight in my carry ammo before I start carrying it. For this initial range session I brought an old box of Fiocchi FMJ, an old box of PMC JHP, an old box of Silver Bear FMJ, a new box of Fiocchi 90gr JHP and 2 boxes of my carry ammo Fiocchi 90gr XTP. I have 3 new OEM Glock mags and 1 new ETS mag. Then the fun ensued!

Malfunction Junction!!! Right from the start, failures to eject, a few failures to feed and a few stovepipes for good measure. All magazines and all ammo brands. Before anyone (Rampy) accuses me of limp wristing, you’re wrong. I ran a total of 140 rounds though it and the failures became less as more rounds were cycled through the mags. I had noticed the mag springs were very stiff as expected so I believe they just need to be worked in. I’m going to load them and leave them for a week before I shoot them again.

All rounds were impacting high and left but all remained within the torso of the IPSC target. I don’t know yet if this is a sight adjustment issue or a me issue. My eyes cannot focus a front sight anymore. All I see is a blur and that’s with full size sights. The dinky little front sight on the G42? Fugetaboutit! Because of this I can’t tell for sure where the front sight is in relationship to the rear sight. I will have my friend John shoot it to see if it’s the sight or me.

So, after I put the G42 away, I thought I’d put some rounds through my Ruger LCR 38spl. I shot a couple of cylinders of Speer Gold Dot. Then an old speed loader of Golden Sabre I had laying around. Then I started in on a box of Remington 158gr LSWCHP. Shot about a couple of cylinders through it and then, 4 rounds into the 3rd, the cylinder locks up. Wouldn’t budge.

Here’s why:

This one obviously skipped the crimping station at the factory. I think I’ll send the pictures to Remington and see what they say.

So at that point I surrendered to my fate and went home.I will admit though, a bad day at the range truly is better than a good day almost anywhere else! And the weather was fan-freaking-tastic!!!

Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Col. William S. Smith, 1787

Senior Veteran

Oh man, what a day for you! At least you got to go out and shoot.
    14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by scottz63 View Post
    Oh man, what a day for you! At least you got to go out and shoot.
    Amen!

Terry
    " And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that his people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Senior Veteran
    Did any of the Glock brass have straight scratches from the case mouth to rim? If so, check for burrs on the inside of the feed lips.
    Got most of the ice off the driveway this morning. Shooting season is almost here lol!
    Last edited by Don in IA; 03-14-2019 at 10:26 AM.

was gonna suggest the brass check to see if you were dragging... but DON beat me too it.

the other thing is to remember that was 380. known the world over as the jam-o-matic caliber. it & .25 are famous for jamming when you need them to not.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post
    was gonna suggest the brass check to see if you were dragging... but DON beat me too it.

the other thing is to remember that was 380. known the world over as the jam-o-matic caliber. it & .25 are famous for jamming when you need them to not.
    You know, I always heard that too about .380 jamming. The only .380 pistol I own or have ever owned is my S&W Bodyguard. I have fired several hundred rounds through it in the last 5 years and have never once had a jam of any kind from day one. Always brass ammo by several different makers. Great little pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by Don in IA View Post
    Did any of the Glock brass have straight scratches from the case mouth to rim? If so, check for burrs on the inside of the feed lips.
    Got most of the ice off the driveway this morning. Shooting season is almost here lol!
    Nope, no drag marks.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by sdk1968 View Post

That's not been my experience. I gave my wife a Walther PPK/S for our first anniversary 32 years ago. Except for the first magazine or 2 it's never malfunctioned since.

Terry

Senior Veteran
    How old was that .38+P ammo? Is that lube or corrosion on the bullets?
    Last edited by Don in IA; 03-15-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Senior Veteran

How did you get it out of there? Push the bullet back in or pull it out the front?