Thread: Heat Treat Oven Build

Heat Treat Oven Build

I have fabricated some firearm parts that need to be heat treated and since I’ve considered building a heat treat oven for some time, decided this was as good a time as any to do it. (If this is not the correct forum, moderators please move). Thinking this might be of some interest to someone on this site, and needing to build my post count [newb], I thought I’d post a brief description of the build and a few photos.

The frame is fabricated from thin wall 1 in. X 1 in. X .049 in. square mild steel tube. The insulated fire bricks are 4.5 in. X 2.5 in. X 9 in. in size and are rated to 2000 deg. F. I found these locally at an industrial salvage shop. They were much cheaper than purchasing them from online retailers. They are bedded together with refactory cement. The interior surfaces were coated with a thinned solution of the cement to give them a hard glazing. The insulated firebricks are pretty soft and brittle in their original state.

Interior dimensions are 4 in. width X 4.5 in. height X 18 in. depth. Not large, but I think it should be big enough for anything I may ever need.

I wound the heating elements from a 50 ft. roll of 16 awg Kanthal wire. The wound elements measured 16.6 Ohms, which, if my calculator is correct should give me approximately 3600 Watts output. Power is from a 240 vac 50 amp circuit.

The PID controller, main switch, solid state relay, and heat sink were purchased from Auber Instruments, Inc., and were installed into an 8 in. X 5.7 in. X 2.7 in. aluminum project box purchased off Ebay. Other miscellaneous items were purchased from The Ceramic Shop [heat element connectors, high temp wire, porcelain insulators].

Lastly, I installed 1 in. thick ceramic insulation [found on Amazon.Com] between the exterior brick surfaces and the 22 ga. sheet steel exterior skin on top, bottom, both sides, and the rear. I may add a seal to the door face if I find it is needed.

Nothing smoked when I powered it on the first time and things seem to be working correctly. I am currently trying to figure out all the PID Controller programming steps to get it to do what I want it to do. I didn't keep a running tally of the costs, but I have around $250 +/- into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SheepDog; 03-25-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Great job! Yours is just about the same internal size as the one I built in 2010. I often wish I'd built a smaller one for the many prototype parts I've had to fire up the big oven for.

40 degree LPs target 003.jpg
    Last edited by holescreek; 03-25-2019 at 01:27 AM.

NICE! good job
    Last edited by Silvera; 03-25-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Great job! Yours is just about the same internal size as the one I built in 2010. I often wish I'd built a smaller one for the many prototype parts I've had to fire up the big oven for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvera View Post
    NICE! good job
    Thanks. I appreciate the comments.

Holescreek - It was your original post on WG that got me interested in this build.

You did a better job on yours,I never bothered to wrap the brick in insulation or encase it with sheet metal. Even without the insulation it still takes 10 hours to completely cool down to room temp from 2K degrees. Glad to hear someone got inspiration from those old posts.

very impressive.

Damn! No one is ever going to buy this big old kiln off me now. You guys need to think bigger is better. Like 12.5KW. All I've done is look at this thing for ten years......Nice neat job you've done on that too. I wish I'd of used my head rather than let greed overwhelm me.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Nice! I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    You did a better job on yours,I never bothered to wrap the brick in insulation or encase it with sheet metal. Even without the insulation it still takes 10 hours to completely cool down to room temp from 2K degrees. Glad to hear someone got inspiration from those old posts.
    I felt that the insulation needed a cover to contain the very fine ceramic glass fibers from becoming airborne. I didn't think it would be good to breathe that stuff. Also, and I am not trying to be a suck up, but I've read a lot of your stuff and I don't think anyone can NOT be inspired by your work. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by nonleathal View Post
    very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    Damn! No one is ever going to buy this big old kiln off me now. You guys need to think bigger is better. Like 12.5KW. All I've done is look at this thing for ten years......Nice neat job you've done on that too. I wish I'd of used my head rather than let greed overwhelm me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman View Post
    Nice! I'm impressed.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. It is appreciated.